• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Excellent article on the "Loudness Wars"

You know, the same thought struck me. I don't think that tag-line or logo makes it clear what they're trying to accomplish.

I think I'll send them an email, now that I'm officially a member of the family!
 
I am starting to record things with my TEAC A-3340S, and I cannot give things all of this compression, as I only have a mixer and reel to reel. So far, I have only recorded some tests, but they came out amazing, except for a little hiss from my mixer. I cannot stand modern 'sound' for many reasons, and compression is one of them.
 
The one song that comes instantly to mind as a terrible example of a failed loudness boost is Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt. Its one guy with a guitar, which doesn't usually come to my mind as a "loud" sounding tune. In the middle it crescendos at the "climax" of the song. The thing is already so over-boosted at this point that you can hear blatant and heavy distortion of Cash's voice. It sounds like someone set the dial to 11 and left it there. Have a listen, you'll hear what I mean. I've heard it on cd, mp3, and even over the radio. I can't believe someone would allow such a terrible sounding recording to be released. I'd like to get my hands on a copy of that recording that hasn't been butchered, its a really great cover.
 
In your experience with dealing with the deaf ear folks, how do they justify not wanting to restore dynamics and do you think they have a point?

Generally, they'll state that "it's not in line with other pop music levels out there." They don't want to release something that they believe won't sell simply due to perceived lower volume levels.

. . Falcon
 
Back
Top Bottom