• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Facebook -- your thoughts?

soundweasel

Super Member
For "professional" reasons I launched a Facebook page last weekend -- practical experience in all areas of social media is a basic requirement for public relations practitioners.

However, I must say, I'm really enjoying myself. Although I'm not necessarily someone who looks back, in a week I've connected or reconnected with over 50 people, of which over half are from my high school days.

Pretty cool IMHO. I guess it's nice to know people are curious about me, too. :yes:

What are your thoughts and experiences? Is Facebook a "time sink" or does it have some redeeming qualities? :scratch2:
 
Register to hide this ad
...Is Facebook a "time sink" or does it have some redeeming qualities? :scratch2:

Both, no question. I'm fairly new, and already connected with somebody I haven't seen in 43 years.

My kids and I keep in touch, although I'm careful not to "go parent" in a post there.

It's really an amazing thing, if you think about it.
 
Mostly very positive reconnecting with old friends and staying in touch with family.

Cheers, Snade
 
Mostly very positive reconnecting with old friends and staying in touch with family.

Cheers, Snade

+1, QFT

It allows me to keep in touch with family and friends in other states. Plus the photo albums give you a chance to post pictures so others can see what your up to, and vice versa.

I recommend it, but you have to learn to turn off and hide all the game nonsense because people will be sending you all sorts of wacky stuff. My wife and kids are all caught up with farms, zoos and stuff plus there Mafia wars, food fights, rounds of drinks and all sorts of other stuff bouncing around in there.
 
Mostly very positive reconnecting with old friends and staying in touch with family.

Cheers, Snade

Yes indeed, but I avoid all the "games" there that are mostly "mining" for personal info and that of your "friends" (fact).
 
Last edited:
...I recommend it, but you have to learn to turn off and hide all the game nonsense because people will be sending you all sorts of wacky stuff. My wife and kids are all caught up with farms, zoos and stuff plus there Mafia wars, food fights, rounds of drinks and all sorts of other stuff bouncing around in there.

Ain't that the truth. I was almost ready to drop it because of all the crap I had to scroll through, until one of my kids said that you could just "Hide" the game without hiding the person.

Saw all the freakin' lambs I ever want to see.
 
Facebook is a way to be really nice to someone with a keyboard, while sitting with REAL friends talking about what an @$$hole the person actually is.

I prefer to pick up the phone and talk to people I really care about. There's something about a voice that a keyboard can't relay..................:yes:
 
Facebook is a way to be really nice to someone with a keyboard, while sitting with REAL friends talking about what an @$$hole the person actually is.

I prefer to pick up the phone and talk to people I really care about. There's something about a voice that a keyboard can't relay..................:yes:

Yeah, write a letter instead and try to refrain from using abbreviations.
 
Facebook is a way to be really nice to someone with a keyboard, while sitting with REAL friends talking about what an @$$hole the person actually is.

I prefer to pick up the phone and talk to people I really care about. There's something about a voice that a keyboard can't relay..................:yes:

True, but Facebook also lets me see my nephew's new car back in WI and chat with him about mufflers and my grand nephew opening Christmas presents in Kentucky. It does have it's uses and it's a nice enhancement to one's life.

Better to communicate online, than not at all, which in many cases has been the reality.

Oh, and I'm also finding out what color bras a lot of my female friends are currently wearing. Really, some sort of purported fund raiser. If a lady posts "hot pink", there you go....
 
Like what has been said before it's fine if it's used wisely. Unfortunately I have seen that it can be an addiction and control peoples lives. I believe Facebook was part of the downfall to the relationship with my ex-fiance.

Haven't been on the site ever since. I keep in touch with the people I care about in more direct ways.
 
Back
Top Bottom