• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fair price on mcIntosh C28?

Zitro

Zitro
Hello,

Found a local McIntosh C28 that I can pick up for $400. It has been recently serviced by a local tech, including a NOS volume control. All lights/bulbs working, no bubbling and lettering is in good shape. Unit looks pretty mint. $400 without the case; he'll include the case for an extra $100. I don't have an amp for this preamp, but figure if it's a great price I'll grab it and wait for a good deal on a matching power amp. What do you think, worth picking up? What's the average price for a C28 in a good shape? There seems to be a decent amount of these on the used market, and prices are a bit all over the place. Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
That sounds pretty good. Aren't they normally $800 to $1000 in good shape? And, I'd grab the wood, too. Cases are worth $150-$200.
 
They average around $400 in unknown/unverified operating condition so it sounds like a pretty good deal as described.
 
When he said serviced what did they do to the unit $400.00 is a great price and if you feel comfortable buy it but try to split the difference on the case and make sure it has the panlocks included.
 
I think NOS volume/switch is worth $100 and then there's labour to install and all.
If you want one, I think it's a good price and depending of work done, it should be trouble free. Good luck.
 
I may grab the case as well. I honestly kind of like the look of the vintage Mac pieces without the wood case, and saving the $100 would be nice. We'll see. I was also thinking about holding out for a Mac integrated, as I don't have an amp to match. Although, there is a gentleman local selling what he claims to be a great condition MC2105 for $1100 firm. Maybe he would take $1000 if I offered? I doubt I'd find any good Mac integrated for $1400.
 
Contacted seller of the 2105, says it's in great aesthetic condition and works 100%, but looks like it has not been serviced. Working great or not, I'm sure this unit could use some love from a tech. Given this, the fact that is does not include the case (he wants $200 extra for that) and he is only willing to accept $1050 makes me feel I can get a better deal on a Mc power amp.
 
Grab the C 28 for the time being and take your time mining out an amplifier. If it's also in nice condition, the cabinet is worth $100 on a bad day.

The L12 cabinet for the C 28 is compatible with lots of McIntosh units and you'd never have a problem selling it so I suggest grabbing that as well.
 
I would grab the c-28 but make sure the volume control is tracking right.I would pass on the 2105 it is a nice amp but without servicing the seller is throwing a hail Mary and hoping he connects.
 
I think you're right 62caddy. I may just go grab the C28 today. I do prefer the aesthetics of the 2505, and it fits my entertainment center much better than the largish 2105. They actually do have a recently serviced 2505 with case that looks to be in pretty good shape, asking $1000:

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/s...-amp-2015-01-15-amplifiers-45429-kettering-oh

What do you think of that match? I've never heard this unit, and the high distortion and low damping factor specs leave me a bit questioning, but these amps still seem to be pretty respected. Only 50 wpc is no issue as my Focal speakers are pretty efficient.

EDIT: Strat10, the volume control is NOS done by the highly respected John of Northwest Audio Service, so I think I should be Ok there:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/northwest-audio-service-seattle
 
I think you're right 62caddy. I may just go grab the C28 today. I do prefer the aesthetics of the 2505, and it fits my entertainment center much better than the largish 2105. They actually do have a recently serviced 2505 with case that looks to be in pretty good shape, asking $1000:

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/s...-amp-2015-01-15-amplifiers-45429-kettering-oh

What do you think of that match? I've never heard this unit, and the high distortion and low damping factor specs leave me a bit questioning, but these amps still seem to be pretty respected. Only 50 wpc is no issue as my Focal speakers are pretty efficient.

EDIT: Strat10, the volume control is NOS done by the highly respected John of Northwest Audio Service, so I think I should be Ok there:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/northwest-audio-service-seattle
The 2505 is a well regarded amp very warm and tube sounding and underrated in power if I remember right I think its putting out 75 or 80 wpc.
 
I think you're right 62caddy. I may just go grab the C28 today. I do prefer the aesthetics of the 2505, and it fits my entertainment center much better than the largish 2105. They actually do have a recently serviced 2505 with case that looks to be in pretty good shape, asking $1000:

What do you think of that match? I've never heard this unit, and the high distortion and low damping factor specs leave me a bit questioning, but these amps still seem to be pretty respected. Only 50 wpc is no issue as my Focal speakers are pretty efficient.

C 28 + MC 2505? Now you're talking! :thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp: That's about as good as it gets for McIntosh component matching.

Keep in mind McIntosh was very conservative in their ratings. MC 2505 will be good for closer to 70 wpc with distortion still under 1%.

The pair is an all time classic combo that you'll never tire from. Only weak link would be the C28 volume control but as that's been ironed out, you should be good to go for many many years - and even if you do - you'll recoup most of all your original investment. Phono section of C28 is said to be outstanding - although I've never heard one.

What could be sweeter than a C28 & MC2505, stacked together in their cabinets!
 
After thinking about all this for a $1000 or less if you shop around I would rather have a 2105 it's rated at 100 wpc but is putting out 140 and down the road if you want to change speakers that extra wattage will come in handy.
 
Last edited:
Yes but the MC 2105 will only get you an extra 3 dB over the MC 2505 - plus the dimensions make the 2505 a better cosmetic match to the C28 - but that's subjective opinion only. YMMV
 
:thmbsp:
Yes but the MC 2105 will only get you an extra 3 dB over the MC 2505 - plus the dimensions make the 2505 a better cosmetic match to the C28 - but that's subjective opinion only. YMMV

We think differently I care about the sound not cosmetics and now that I think of it he could get a 2205 for that price if he shops around why be stuck with 70 wpc when you can have more for the same and not be limited on your speaker choices down the road. Its all good:thmbsp:
 
I think $ 400.00 for the C-28 is a great deal. I have one matched with a 250 (2505 w/o meters) and it's a wonderful combination. Rated at 50 wpc it plays warm and detailed. I agree with 62 caddy about being under rated. Mine sounds much more powerful than 50 wpc.
 
:thmbsp:

We think differently I care about the sound not cosmetics and now that I think of it he could get a 2205 for that price if he shops around why be stuck with 70 wpc when you can have more for the same and not be limited on your speaker choices down the road. Its all good:thmbsp:

Only 50 wpc is no issue as my Focal speakers are pretty efficient.

^^^^This.

I care about sound as much as anybody - believe me. :)

However in view of the OP's requirements, the economist in me sees no good reason for ponying up for a few extra dB that will never be used in all likelihood, therefore any sonic advantage would be nil.

I think $1K for an MC 2205 in excellent condition would be a stretch...
 
^^^^This.

I care about sound as much as anybody - believe me. :)

However in view of the OP's requirements, the economist in me sees no good reason for ponying up for a few extra dB that will never be used in all likelihood, therefore any sonic advantage would be nil.

I think $1K for an MC 2205 in excellent condition would be a stretch...

There is always a deal out there if you look 1k for a 70 watt amp vs a 140 watt is a no brainer and the difference in db's tell your inefficient speakers that when they need more power.I have read your posts and respect your opinions but we seem to disagree on this post .:thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
I see your point, something to keep in mind. That being said, I doubt the 70 wpc would be an issue, as my amp for years to this point has been a NAD C320BEE, which is only 50wpc, and it's never been a problem. I'm in an apartment so can't get too crazy with the volume, and with the insane housing prices in this area, doubt I'll be buying a home for quit some time. :thmbsp:
 
Since ya'll brought up the MC2205, I saw one on my local Craigslist for $800 in great shape a couple of months back; immediately called him and he said he had sold it already. He had a buyer 15 minutes after the listing went up. I missed out, so close...that is one beauty of an amp.
 
Back
Top Bottom