• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fake Solen capacitors on eBay - buyers beware!

BuzzRd

New Member
Hi all,
Just wanted to give a heads-up to whomever it may concern - i just purchased a few Solen 400v Polypropylene capacitors from a Hong Kong eBay seller (https://www.ebay.com/usr/idea*for*life?ul_noapp=true) for a crossover project. when i received them i noticed that the inscription "Made in France" (+year) is missing, which made me suspect these are counterfeit capacitors (on ebay the photos show genuine Solen caps). i contacted the seller and requested to be shown proof that these are genuine (official letter from Solen France). the seller of course, couldn't produce such proof and offered me a refund. i immediately reported to both ebay and Solen, so that they could take action against this seller. until they do, beware and double check your capacitors!
 
Register to hide this ad
Based on sonic comparisons in crossovers and as filter caps. I did find some even worse MKP caps such as those red Audiophilers from China, but I won't use standard Solens for anything, Very tubby and smeared sounding in my experience.

I am not alone in this anti-Solen attitude but if you like them, go ahead and enjoy. Compare some Electronic Concepts MKPs for one better sounding line of high value PP caps.

Chinese even make fake eggs. They cost more than real eggs but they are a statement of the forgers art.
 
I would expect that most electronics stuff from China HK & eBay are counterfeit. If you want the real thing, only buy from authorized distributors.
I'm afraid i don't have much choice, as i live in Israel, and shipping from the US is either non existent or ridiculously expensive. I must also say that I've ordered many components from chinese vendors on AliExpress, and about 95% of those times i received genuine quality parts. It really depends on the vendor you're dealing with.
 
I'm afraid i don't have much choice, as i live in Israel, and shipping from the US is either non existent or ridiculously expensive. I must also say that I've ordered many components from chinese vendors on AliExpress, and about 95% of those times i received genuine quality parts. It really depends on the vendor you're dealing with.

I've had great results with aliexpress for tools and small electronics like boost converter and variable voltage boards. Have not bought any audio related stuff though.
 
Back
Top Bottom