• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite 8" 2 or 3 way bookshelf speakers?

Micro Acoustics FRM-3AX are the best that I have heard. I have had a pair since around 1981 and would recommend them to anyone who could find a pair for sale.

The acoustics are phenomenal (hence the name). They don't play as loud as my Polk RTA 11T towers, but then again they're bookshelf speakers.

Nonetheless, in terms of sound quality, they're simply fantastic.

Try finding a pair first.
 
I would also recommend the EPI 100.

I specifically have the EPI T/E 100 Series II...mucho bass.

They beat out my KLH 33's and Advent III's easily.

They are somewhat small and <$100.
 
I'd also vote for the Smaller Advent over the EPI.

I also think the Advent is easier to find.

Just my two cents.

Snade
 
IMF SuperCompacts -- they're efficient, too.

face.jpg


http://imf-electronics.com/SuperCompact/
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18130&highlight=supercompact
 
I do not think it is that simple. First how do you like to listen to stuff? Loud, most reasonable decent speakers have realistic bass; played softly very few do. Or by decent bass, do you mean over emphasised bass like most of the youngsters love, great for rock and rap, but not for jazz or classical in my opinion.

Something to check out, Radio Shack has a pair of Yamaha 8" two ways for $89-99 (changes often) that are not pure junk. They ain't no $500 speaker either. However Rat Shack still has a decent return privilege if they do not work well in your room.
 
I have a set of KEF C60's, 8" woofer / 1" tweeter. They do not sell for very much used and appear largely overlooked. I found mine on the curb about a mile from my house. Sound quality is what you'd expect from an 80's British speaker, that being they do pretty much everything right. They sound similar to my Celestion SL600's with more bass and less midrange refinement but overall, very nice. My set has 'keep' status.

KEF C60

27075_thumb_a51bd8f62bd355ccf3e369f4d2de64ff.jpg


(snagged online image)
 
my smaller advents put out a surprising amount of bass considering their size. They sound great. ADS L-500's are another favorite of mine, and i've also owned EPI 100's which be a great choice as others have mentioned.
 
Paradigm model 7se,two way nice low end and play most music very well.Right in your price range also.

cheers
 
I gotta' throw in my two cents. Allison Eights. I just repaired a pair I bought for $80 (used) and they are fabulous.

Rick
 

Attachments

  • Allison Eights for AK.JPG
    Allison Eights for AK.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 42
for me, I love my pair of 3-way MTX AAL 83's they are just incredible for tiny speakers, and then there are my 2-way "Baby Kenwoods" the LS-403 and LS-403A's, those babies will shake walls and window frames being fed power from my SX-1250, and still maintain civil sound output with no shrill, distortion or listening fatigue:D
 
Cambridge Model Six

For $150 or less new, the Cambridge Soundworks Model Six deserves consideration. The acoustic suspension design gives reasonably strong base response for a 2-way speaker. I have mine at work in a large room and they sound remarkably good. If you are patient, you can get these new for about $100 when they go "on sale". Also, you can get a 10% discount on their website by getting an account. There are more comments on Model Six on AK.
 
+1 CSW model 6

I bought a refurbished pair.....direct from CSW.....for $90.
Unless you can find a nice vintage EPI 100, Small Advent, KLH 17, etc.
Not much out there.....new.....that can touch them for the $$$.


Steve
 
Back
Top Bottom