• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite 8" 2 or 3 way bookshelf speakers?

Why limit to 8" woofer? Lots of 9-10" woofer in the same cabinet size?

The choice for real bookshelfs are wide ranging, but most of these have similar voice and are fairly accurate:
Dynaco A25 (I have moved these to my garage system)
Canton - Karats (computer room)
KEF - multiples but C series is a real value (rotated to work)
Mirage - FRX series (my computer desk)
Cerwin Vega L7 - a real bargin and my sleeper pick
Tannoy - SBM reveals

Basically the list is endless. But the ones I mentioned have good bass extension noted from my own personal experience.

The EPI 100s are very bright and not as much bass as my list.
Polks not as bright and a little bass shy in the lower octaves.
Never like the AR4 combos.
Phase Tech Teatros lack bass below about 50Hz.
I find the B&Ws (the later ones) to sound like the vocals are behind a curtain.

I have infinity Qes, but haven't listened to them in so long, I can't remember whether I recommend them or not.
 
Tangent RS2

Very rare now

Bextrene cone Audax 8" and KEF T27 (extra grill over the T27 in the photo, similar to the LS3/5a tweeter grill)

In fact these speakers sound like LS3/5a with better bass, of course they are much bigger than LS3/5a.

A similar woofer design is found in the Spendor BC-1 but not made by Audax, yes?
 
A similar woofer design is found in the Spendor BC-1 but not made by Audax, yes?

Only similar in that the cone is Bextrene.

Audax has pressed steel basket, BC1 cast aluminium. Different mounting hole spacing.

That said, I have used the Audax unit to replace faulty BC1 units and got great results.
 
For an 8" speaker, I know I may take a ripping on these, but I love my Cerwin Vega AT-8's.....especially for my metal listening.....pretty heavy on the bass, you'd swear they are much bigger than they are.
 
For an 8" speaker, I know I may take a ripping on these, but I love my Cerwin Vega AT-8's.....especially for my metal listening.....pretty heavy on the bass, you'd swear they are much bigger than they are.

The Vega L stuff is at a lower price point and provides a better woofer for SQ IMHO. Though they definitely will not rock as hard as the AT! :guitar:
 
If you can find a little pair of EPIs in walnut, I'd bet you'd be pretty happy with them, and they shouldn't cost you near the amount that you are budgeting for. :thmbsp:
 
Several have mentioned the ADS 420 and 500 series - I would support their recommendations. These older ADS units have an excellent bass and are in your price range as well.
 
I know it's been said, but CSW Model Sixes get my vote. We have them in our living room and put a lot of music through them and they just sound great!
 
I have an older pair of the Cambridge Soundworks model sixes by Henry Kloss. For small speakers they are amazing. I use them in my office which is a small room and they fill the room with sound. Great bass as well as midrange and treble. I haven't heard any of the other small speakers mentioned here so cannot say how these stack up to them, but I do know these would be hard to beat.
 
Thanks for asking this question, as I was just about to, on account of the fact that my wife and I are combining our home offices into one room (2nd child on the way) and I won't have room for my giant Speakerlab 3's in there. I do have a pair of Bose 201 bookshelf speakers that could suffice, but they must be going on 15 years old now and they just don't sound lively to me anymore. It sounds to me like a new pair of CSW Model Sixes are in my future. Thanks for all the info everyone.
 
I love the Original Small Advents...8" woofer & dual angled 1 1/2" paper cone tweeters.. Excellent bass + nice tweets!!! I wished I kept mine! What was the model number on these??...Does anybody recall?
 
Boston Acoustics A-70s would do the trick. I'm surprised Thedelihaus hasn't mentioned these in this thread yet!
 
Back
Top Bottom