• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite Comic Strip?

"The Katzenjammer Kids" ? But I'm from a different era than most of youse...
I've read all of them, via the hard-bound collections at our local library... I'm surprised you didn't mention Mutt & Jeff... :D

Wondered how long that would take... one of the best strips ever.

And no one has mentioned it yet, but Lynn Johnston's For Better or for Worse is excellent.

However, there are some truly great strips online that newspapers will NEVER carry. That's where I think the best comics are these days.
 
I really liked:

Calvin and Hobbes
B.C.
Andy Capp
For Better or for Worse
Ziggy
The Wizard of ID
 
When Calvin and Hobbes ended, it was truly the end of an era, comic-wise for me. I still miss it. Then Foxtrot ended; another gem. Now, the only one that's any good is Dilbert.
Lately, Funky Winkerbean has been a real downer with the death of Lisa Moore.
Tom
 
Not counting single-panel cartoons.

Current:
Mutts
Doonesbury
Pearls Before Swine
Sinfest
Lio
Non Sequitur (although it's been "off" for almost a year)

Historic:
Calvin and Hobbes
Krazy Kat
Nemo in Slumberland
Pogo
Terry and the Pirates
Gasoline Alley
 
Inodoro Pereyra from Argentina
fpi_it02.gif


Boogie El Aceitoso
fpb_fp11.gif


These argentinian characters are full of politics, dry humour and play of words...
 
Lots of good ones listed. I also like "Mutts" and "Pickles". Some of you old farts probably resemble Earl. :D
Burne Hogarth's "Tarzan" was outstanding for its artwork. And one I grew up with but my paper hasn't carried in years but is still around and that is "Tumbleweeds" by Tom Ryan.
 
However, there are some truly great strips online that newspapers will NEVER carry. That's where I think the best comics are these days.

Sandy, you'e a bit more ancient than I realized! I agree with Ozmoid, the paper is no longer the place to look for the best stuff. But the paper has been the venue for amazing things, and my favorite oldie has to be Nemo in Slumberland. We have a collection of at our library (I work there, actually) and I think that is hands down the most amazing newspaper strip I have ever seen. Surreal and beautiful. They don't make 'em like that anymore, and frankly the way things are going I don't think you'll ever see anything so artful in newspapers ever again.

Of course, there is a wild world of comics outside of the newspaper or online, and some real art happening there. Anything by Art Spiegelman, for instance, or Jaime Rodriguez.
 
I mentioned earlier that I liked Peanuts up to the early 70's. I got the following in the e-mail just a few moments ago. It's an book review/article about Charles Schultz. It seems that Schultz modeled Charlie Brown after himself (gloom and doom) and Lucy was modeled after his first wife, who was a firecracker. Well, guess what? They divorced in '72 and when she left, all the inspiration for his aggrevation in the strip left with it. It's a two page article and if you are a Peanuts fan, worth the read: http://www.salon.com/books/review/2007/10/13/charles_schulz/
 
Inodoro Pereyra from Argentina
fpi_it02.gif


Boogie El Aceitoso
fpb_fp11.gif


These argentinian characters are full of politics, dry humour and play of words...

I love those cartoons. I also love Mafalda, a classic 60´s strip by Quino (another argentinian author). My avatar displays Guille, the younger brother of Mafalda:

http://www.todohistorietas.com.ar/mafalda.htm
http://mafalda.dreamers.com/
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafalda (Spanish)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafalda (English)

mafaldamusica2.jpg



All the best
 
My favorite by far is Mother Goose and Grimm.

I can relate to that damned dog.
 

Attachments

  • Grimm.gif
    Grimm.gif
    60.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Grimm2.gif
    Grimm2.gif
    49 KB · Views: 6
  • Grimm3.gif
    Grimm3.gif
    59.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Grimm4.gif
    Grimm4.gif
    99.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Grimm5.gif
    Grimm5.gif
    42.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Been my nickname since I was a wee lad,
Great comic's!
 

Attachments

  • SLUGGO COMIC (Small).jpg
    SLUGGO COMIC (Small).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 5
When I was growing up,I used to wait for the sunday paper to come so I could get at the comics.Even moreso,I think when I was in the Air Force overseas.I wonder if kids still do that,or are the Sunday funnies just an anachronism.
My faves:
Blondie
Beatle Bailey
Calvin and Hobbes
Peanuts
Bloom County
Herman

And some oldies I love to remember,but dont see much about:
Redeye
Bringing Up Father
Iodine(I think thats the name.The little girl)

A funny thing about Peanuts.My wife collects all the videos,and theres one where the gang compete in a Punt,Pass and Kick competition,and Lucy is wearing a Raiders helmet.Classic.
Jimmy
 
Current favorite-

Lio- reminds me of the vintage & macabre Addams Family comics I'd read as a wee lad out of the New Yorker. "Lio" is done by Philidelphian Mark Tatulli, age 43, a very busy fella. He also writes and draws another strip called "Heart of the City" and is a post-producer for cable tv's "Trading Spaces" and "A Wedding Story" programs.

Howver, my favorites (besides Lio) are only online. I prefer Red Meat written and drawn by Max Cannon, followed by The Angriest Dog in the World, a strip by David Lynch of Twin Peaks/Mullholland Drive/Eraserhead film fame. And Maakies, by tony Millionaire, is another favorite. Love Uncle Gabby and Drinky Crow! Tony Millionair also wrote Sock Monkey.

But be forewarned- Maakies sometimes delves into pretty adult themes. Same for Red Meat. The jokes are not always tasteful, and sometimes I don't laugh. But when they get 'em right, they're good. As for Angriest Dog, well, it's certainly an aquired taste.


Mutts is a guilty pleasure. Simple and innocent, I can't quite figure why I'm endeared to it. Yesh indeedy....

Non Sequitur was a favorite- though recently it's taken a strange bent to it. Absolutely love the gothic flavor and illustration, just not jiving with the new serious tone. No sweat, good luck to the artist and his new direction.

Pearls Before Swine has been getting better and better. Especially love the Louisiana/cajun accented alligators, and the naughty pot-shots at Bill Keane and Family Circus. Naughty, but makes me laugh.

Bizarro strikes a funny bone once and a while.

Same for Dilbert, which I used to enjoy. But the office jokes are starting to age on me.

Both Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes are legendary, and sorely missed.


I've been told I'd have loved Krazy Kat. Sadly, never seen it.







To this day, I'm still not hip or esoteric enough to figure out Zippy Th' Pinhead.
 
Outside of Dilbert, there are far too few quality strips out there. Wish we had "Zits" in our paper (instead of on my kids faces :D). I hear Bill Watterson's painting landscapes with his Dad these days. Both Borgman and Watterson went to my Alma Mater, Kenyon College. Jim mentored Bill in the early stages of his career. I had the opportunity to hang out with Bill a bit in those days, he was a quiet guy and would always ink a few posters for me (and some of my friends) for a six pack of Heineken. If you're a Watterson fan, check out the attachments...

Calvin & Hobbes

The Far Side
 

Attachments

  • chesnutt.gif
    chesnutt.gif
    100.8 KB · Views: 4
  • unkstan.gif
    unkstan.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom