• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite Vintage Receiver Brand - Why?

thesauce

Active Member
So what are you guys' favorite vintage receiver brands? Maybe you should include model ranges or years as well. I have got the bug on picking up anything with a silver face and a wood cabinet that I see for cheap and I've been surprised at how some highly regarded brands compare with less respected ones. What exactly is it that you like about this model/brand? Specifically how would you describe the sonics? Is it the phono pre that makes it for you or the amp section?

Please share, I'm very interested in the different opinions.
 
Register to hide this ad
To me......

Nothing sounds like Yamaha "Natural Sound"............

I have heard other brands and I think Yamaha CR series are unequalled as far a looks and clean sound is concerned.....

On the other hand, one can't argue taste......:)

My two cents,

Nel
 
I like a lot of them, but MCS receivers are nice lookers.
I've had the most Pioneer SXs but I loved the look (didn't get to hear it, it was DOA) of my Yammie CR-820.
 
Thanx to supercollector "ulfsn" at Alternativaudio.no I found a good reason to like marantz (well thats offcoz not including the fact that it sounds GOOD)

Check this ad out :) Such an amazing story ?

Marantz.jpg


So what are you guys' favorite vintage receiver brands? Maybe you should include model ranges or years as well. I have got the bug on picking up anything with a silver face and a wood cabinet that I see for cheap and I've been surprised at how some highly regarded brands compare with less respected ones. What exactly is it that you like about this model/brand? Specifically how would you describe the sonics? Is it the phono pre that makes it for you or the amp section?

Please share, I'm very interested in the different opinions.
 
Fisher (60's), Sherwood (early 70's) or Marantz (70's)

I just like how they sound and how they look.

Snade
 
Marantz 2XXX line, whether the traditional black/blue dial (2270, 2325) or the silver/blue dial (2600), particularly with the oscilloscope. I love both the look and the sound, and have for over 30 years.

Also very fond of the Yamaha CR-2040 receiver; visually, it's very different from the Marantzii, but gorgeous in its own right.
 
I started out as a big Pioneer fan, but over the last couple of years, I've shifted towards Kenwood. Mainly a receiver guy, an sx-1250 is probably my favorite piece. However, I've had alot of fun with the KR-9400's, and the KR-9600. The 9400 is currently my daily driver, and has been for about 9 months. Excellent build quality, and great tuner sections. I'd like, someday, to luck into a high powered Marantz receiver, as I really like the design of their lower powered units. Can't help it; I like power!
 
I almost hate to reply because my answer may be common but, since you asked.

I've always favored the big 3...Pioneer, Sansui and Marantz. I won't include Yamaha because I've never heard their receivers but I do have the CA2010 integrated amp and for my tastes it was a little bright.

I also hesitate because I've not heard anything else but the brands mentioned so I may be biased. I have read of many here liking some of the lesser known brands however.

My favorite is the Pioneer SX-1250. Beautiful to look at, extremely well built and I like the sound. Powerful and clear with just a hint of warmth. Not my words but I've always liked the description of it as...."floats like a butterfly, stings like a charging rhino"

Next is the Sansui 9090. Nice and clear sonically to me with commanding power to spare. Some say without the use of the loudness feature engaged the bass drops out somewhat. I may have to agree.

Marantz...I'm on the fence here. My 2265B is just sweet, smooth and clear sounding. I bought this model first and then went after a 2325 expecting the same but to me the 2325 is a bit too warm sounding. It has that 3 martini sound that some love. Maybe mine needs a recap? Power out the ying yang though. Bowls you over like a bulldozer.

I'd like to hear more of the different brands but after 5 yrs. or so I've veered off in different directions. Tubes and separates mostly and I'm happy going in that direction. Plus after those same 5 years I'm almost out of money:D

...................R1:music::yes:
 
Predominantly Sansui for sand amps/receivers. I prefer the Sansui sound. Sansui took sa different approach to the design goals and it shows in the sound quality. Late 60’s to late 70’s

I like what I’ve hear out of my Motorola tube amps from late 50’s early 60’s consoles. I have not been able to make any serious comparisons, although I do have a pair of Maggies waiting for me to get to them.

My Pioneer stuff sounds good, but there is a preference for the Sansui.
 
Thanx to supercollector "ulfsn" at Alternativaudio.no I found a good reason to like marantz (well thats offcoz not including the fact that it sounds GOOD)

Check this ad out :) Such an amazing story ?

Marantz.jpg

So Marantz works better after a fire then before? :D
 
I loves me some Yammy.

The only other receivers I have experience with are Sony, Technics, Akai, Realistic, and all but the Sony were quads. In college I used MCS integrated+tuner combination.
 
Predominantly Sansui for sand amps/receivers. I prefer the Sansui sound. Sansui took sa different approach to the design goals and it shows in the sound quality. Late 60’s to late 70’s

I like what I’ve hear out of my Motorola tube amps from late 50’s early 60’s consoles. I have not been able to make any serious comparisons, although I do have a pair of Maggies waiting for me to get to them.

My Pioneer stuff sounds good, but there is a preference for the Sansui.

What is it that you like about the "Sansui" sound? I have a 8080DB and a 5000 and they are ok... but just not my cup of tea I guess. They haven't been gone over, other than I cleaned all the pots, so they may need caps or something so I may not have had a chance to hear a really good one yet.

I'm just asking because I think I my tastes tend toward a smooth sound that the Sansui's I have heard don't seem to have. They are powerful sounding though. How would you describe what you like about the Sansuis?
 
To me......

Nothing sounds like Yamaha "Natural Sound"............

I have heard other brands and I think Yamaha CR series are unequalled as far a looks and clean sound is concerned.....

On the other hand, one can't argue taste......:)

My two cents,

Nel

How would you describe the "Natural Sound" for those of us who don't know it? I hear people say it's bright, but I guess it all depends. I have a Yamaha turntable and tape deck and both are very well built. I am a fan, but don't know the amps.
 
I favor Harman Kardon. I can't name any other brand that after 1966 consistently made good sounding receivers. Heck, even their AM sections were better. When their cosmetics went ugly, the sound improved. I have never heard an HK that didn't sound ballsy, or one with crappy phono stages. The've never made a try for "the Best" receiver, but you can't go wrong recommending any model number...well the 330A was bad, but from 330C on there are no loosers. It is the only brand that did not follow the STK IC power pack craze! (well NAD, but their history is shorter)
 
I wish I could find a JVC R-S33 in good condition, without the face haze or missing eq buttons. It is a nice receiver & overlooked by some. HK's 330's were really nice looking, but low in power.

The Rotel RX-150A is a no nonsense piece, but is low in power as well.

The Mac 1900 receiver is one of my all time favorites, but I would have to break the piggy bank to get one these days.

Just a thought!
Rome
 
Vintage Sony:
Vintage Sony has great tone. There is a consistency of tone in many of the receivers and amplifliers. The tuners in the receivers are A+ and one in particular the 6060F(five gangs, totally shielded) can hold it own among many of the top stand alone tuners. The built quality of vintage Sony is solid: one gets the feeling that the persons who designed and made these really, really cared.
 
Wow this has been a really versatile post. Truth is I would like to have a few more receivers right now including a good Marantz and a Yamaha (something larger than a CR-620.)

I used to be die hard on vintage Pioneer (anything SX-780 and above namely the SX-850.)

But lately I am down with Kenwood stuff for it clarity and warm tone. I am running between a KR-6400 and a KA-4006. I am almost more partial to latter for the clean tone it pushes out. It also seems to have more tonal variety which is a plus to me listening to different types of music. Another thing I like is this stuff is under-rated and a good deal can be had on it.
 
I have quit a few receivers from Marantz and Sansui, if I had to pick one receiver over the others I would have to pick an old Model 22 Marantz, Has the warm Marantz sound but with such a sound stage and detail it's incredible, but I would still take my Kenwood KA-6006 over anything
 
Back
Top Bottom