• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

FB Marketplace Scam???

I'm glad I don't live in a place where I fear every single person is out to kill me, or planning on finding out where I live so they can do me in. Down here strangers will hold open a door as someone approaches the door, people greet each other with a good morning/afternoon/evening and a smile.

When looking for a parking spot, there isn't a kerfuffle between half a dozen people jockeying for the only remaining spot, and bullets flying because someone actually parked in it.

Maybe that's why I like living in small-town deep south, where people actually have manners and a well developed sense of decorum and decency.

Granted there are the rotten-assclowns here just as there are in everywhereville, but they sure aren't prevalent as some seem to experience.
 
I'm glad I don't live in a place where I fear every single person is out to kill me, or planning on finding out where I live so they can do me in. Down here strangers will hold open a door as someone approaches the door, people greet each other with a good morning/afternoon/evening and a smile.

When looking for a parking spot, there isn't a kerfuffle between half a dozen people jockeying for the only remaining spot, and bullets flying because someone actually parked in it.

Maybe that's why I like living in small-town deep south, where people actually have manners and a well developed sense of decorum and decency.

Granted there are the rotten-assclowns here just as there are in everywhereville, but they sure aren't prevalent as some seem to experience.
I started this thread but I don’t want to leave people with the impression that I live in a crime infested area and I’m suspicious and fearful of everyone I meet. It’s just not the case. My experience isn’t dissimilar from your small-town south experience. People here are overwhelmingly kind and honest. That said, FB marketplace definitely attracts some who are flakes at best and dishonest at worst. Some behaviors are clear red flags (“I want to buy your item. I’ll Venmo you the money and my cousin will pick it up.”) Some are less obvious, and when someone keeps asking for my address before asking anything specific about the item or before establishing a meeting time, I start to wonder. I’ve had people inside my home to buy tape decks, speakers, and amplifiers for hundreds of dollars. I sold a car and a transmission out of my driveway. All those people were lovely. I’m not excited about inviting someone in who won’t allow me to get a feel for them through some minimal conversation before asking for my address.
 
I'm glad I don't live in a place where I fear every single person is out to kill me, or planning on finding out where I live so they can do me in. Down here strangers will hold open a door as someone approaches the door, people greet each other with a good morning/afternoon/evening and a smile.

When looking for a parking spot, there isn't a kerfuffle between half a dozen people jockeying for the only remaining spot, and bullets flying because someone actually parked in it.

Maybe that's why I like living in small-town deep south, where people actually have manners and a well developed sense of decorum and decency.

Granted there are the rotten-assclowns here just as there are in everywhereville, but they sure aren't prevalent as some seem to experience.
I don’t live in a small town, nor in the south, quite the opposite. This morning two people tried to hold the door open for a stranger at the local coffee shop. Parking took a trip around the block and I had to park a block away, but there was no gunfire exchanged. Everyone was civil and polite, and had good manners. I did not fear for my life for even one second, nor have I for decades. One difference is that the density of “rotten-assclowns” is much higher, so much more on display.

Most of humanity is good regardless of where you live, but you need to protect yourself against those who aren’t. They hide amongst the rest of us like wolves in sheep’s clothing hoping we won’t notice until it’s too late. Be careful out there.
 
A couple of weeks ago I put a pair of big Coral speakers on FB (75$). Right off the bat someone responded, asked for my phone number and said he would be right over. Then he sent me a six digit number and said to send it back so he would know everything was "secure". I'd seen that before and sent him back different numbers several times and finally he gave up. It is some sort of scam but I don't know how it works. An hour later the same thing happened again and that guy got mad, said it wasn't a scam, and gave up. I even gave him a fake phone number which, I guess, he didn't even notice.
A week later some guy came over, on time, listened to them, and bought them. He was a nice guy and bought two other pairs of vintage speakers - much better ones - KLH 6's and Janszen Z-500's. He was a vintage audio collector and was on a speaker binge. He was on his way back from Montana where he just bought a Pioneer SX-1080. I think he said he paid about a $1000 for it.
So, you just never know.
 
It is some sort of scam but I don't know how it works.
They use the code to verify your mobile number to create a Google Voice number. Then they use the Google number tied to YOUR NUMBER to scam others, since it is a 'clean' number. Kinda like laundering money.

For FB and CL, Cash on the barrelhead solves all that.
 
They use the code to verify your mobile number to create a Google Voice number. Then they use the Google number tied to YOUR NUMBER to scam others, since it is a 'clean' number. Kinda like laundering money.

For FB and CL, Cash on the barrelhead solves all that.
A lot of folks have Google pay, which is now in the hands of the scammer when you give them that code. Which is what they are really after. Google voice numbers are easy to get..
 
I'm glad I don't live in a place where I fear every single person is out to kill me, or planning on finding out where I live so they can do me in. Down here strangers will hold open a door as someone approaches the door, people greet each other with a good morning/afternoon/evening and a smile.

When looking for a parking spot, there isn't a kerfuffle between half a dozen people jockeying for the only remaining spot, and bullets flying because someone actually parked in it.

Maybe that's why I like living in small-town deep south, where people actually have manners and a well developed sense of decorum and decency.

Granted there are the rotten-assclowns here just as there are in everywhereville, but they sure aren't prevalent as some seem to experience.

Absolutely no one has said they fear everyone is out to kill them. Why are you making such a bad faith argument? Vetting potential buyers is the smart thing to do.
 
I'm glad I don't live in a place where I fear every single person is out to kill me, or planning on finding out where I live so they can do me in. Down here strangers will hold open a door as someone approaches the door, people greet each other with a good morning/afternoon/evening and a smile.

When looking for a parking spot, there isn't a kerfuffle between half a dozen people jockeying for the only remaining spot, and bullets flying because someone actually parked in it.

Maybe that's why I like living in small-town deep south, where people actually have manners and a well developed sense of decorum and decency.

Granted there are the rotten-assclowns here just as there are in everywhereville, but they sure aren't prevalent as some seem to experience.

Wasn't my experience the few times I've been in Texas. I won't go into the details of why I'll never be back, but lets just say it wasn't a good time.

If its your home and you like it there, I get it. Enjoy it. But not everyone has the same experiences in the same places.

I'm sure there are some that have visited Nova Scotia and will never come back to NS because of a bad visit.

There's good people and A-hats everywhere......totally up to chance as to which one you run across.
 
I never said anything about NOT vetting buyers. This isn't the only thread about dealing with the public here on the forums. You'll find several instances where severe paranoia exists.
 
I never said anything about NOT vetting buyers. This isn't the only thread about dealing with the public here on the forums. You'll find several instances where severe paranoia exists.
Lol. You’re reading what you want to hear. One member did absolutely claim that he just gives out his address no questions asked. But NO ONE said anything even remotely close to what you were claiming. Consider your strawman burned to the ground.
 
I started this thread but I don’t want to leave people with the impression that I live in a crime infested area and I’m suspicious and fearful of everyone I meet. It’s just not the case. My experience isn’t dissimilar from your small-town south experience. People here are overwhelmingly kind and honest. That said, FB marketplace definitely attracts some who are flakes at best and dishonest at worst. Some behaviors are clear red flags (“I want to buy your item. I’ll Venmo you the money and my cousin will pick it up.”) Some are less obvious, and when someone keeps asking for my address before asking anything specific about the item or before establishing a meeting time, I start to wonder. I’ve had people inside my home to buy tape decks, speakers, and amplifiers for hundreds of dollars. I sold a car and a transmission out of my driveway. All those people were lovely. I’m not excited about inviting someone in who won’t allow me to get a feel for them through some minimal conversation before asking for my address.
FB marketplace is what it is. i buy but would be quite apprehensive to sell and i live in a nice area. so. many. weirdos.

that being said, i can't tell you how many times i've "lost" out whilst being polite and proper via FB messenger. can't remember ever having a seller tell me i was selected because i was more polite than the message they got before mine. have many times had an item sold because i didn't put my body in the driveway first. if i'm not asking for an address as early as possible, i'm gonna lose.
 
FB marketplace is what it is. i buy but would be quite apprehensive to sell and i live in a nice area. so. many. weirdos.

that being said, i can't tell you how many times i've "lost" out whilst being polite and proper via FB messenger. can't remember ever having a seller tell me i was selected because i was more polite than the message they got before mine. have many times had an item sold because i didn't put my body in the driveway first. if i'm not asking for an address as early as possible, i'm gonna lose.
I agree that the early bird gets the worm. If I see an item of interest that I think is going to quickly attract other buyers, I'll write a few sentences that demonstrate actual knowledge of and interest in the item, and tell them my earliest availability to pick up. I don't ask for the address until they agree on a time for me to come.
 
FB marketplace is what it is. i buy but would be quite apprehensive to sell and i live in a nice area. so. many. weirdos.

that being said, i can't tell you how many times i've "lost" out whilst being polite and proper via FB messenger. can't remember ever having a seller tell me i was selected because i was more polite than the message they got before mine. have many times had an item sold because i didn't put my body in the driveway first. if i'm not asking for an address as early as possible, i'm gonna lose.
That's the same everywhere these days. facebook market place, craigs list, kijiji, whatever.

Anything that's of value or a good price seems to go in minutes. Probably because people are hungry for deals with everything being so expensive these days (ie: inflation) and then there's the "flippers" looking to make a buck. I don't think "collectors" figure into it that much as they probably get "beat out" by the flippers who are treating it as an income source.

I even see it in the local thrift store (called value village here). If you want to get some neat piece of vintage electronics or audio gear, you better be there when the put it on the shelf or you don't stand a chance. There's a guy who "flips" that stuff locally and he hits the store at least twice a day. I've pretty much given up going there because it's always stripped clean by this a-hole. He's the same with yard sales too. He loads up early n sat morning and is on the road until Sunday night. Absolutely vacuums up everything and anything.

Probably just a low income person trying to make a living of some sort, but man does it p!$$ me off when I'm walking through the "in" door and he's pushing a couple carts full of vintage electronics (speakers, head-units, flip clocks, etc) through the "out" door! Or if I happen to hit a local yard sale and as I'm pulling up I see his crappy little rusty car pulling away with a back seat full of speakers or similar.....regular Joes just don't stand a chance against that type of fanaticism.

I actually went to look at something he had for sale once. Was waaay overpriced, but the thing that struck me is he had walls and walls of crap in the basement room he took me to. All four walls, floor to ceiling and rows and rows of shelves in between. More than one man could ever fix or use in a lifetime....more than one man could ever sell in a lifetime. Obviously a "flipper" with an obsession.....I often wonder what he would do if his basement flooded......probably just dry it all off and raise his prices as "freshly washed"....lol!
 
Last edited:
You can read the forums and find several examples. It's not my problem if you haven't seen the posts.
 
Back
Top Bottom