• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Feastrex

Nate, is it important to get those full rangers up to ear level just like the conventional practice with multi driver speakers?
 
Wow, really a new angle, Nate!
It looks like your cabinet guy did a great job on the enclosures.
How are you liking them so far?
 
Is there any baffle-step compensation on these at the moment (I'd guess no) ? Does Feastrex recommend anything on this matter (again - I'd guess no) ? Do they sound bright when on-axis? How about when you are maybe 30° off-axis?

I have two Philips fullrange drivers, the venerable AD9710 (8") and AD7060 (6"). Both of these have a large rise in the HF, likely where the whizzer starts to do its thing, like 8-10dB. This seems a bit much on-axis, but the response flattens-out nicely when moving 30-45° off-axis, which makes for a generally balanced sound in-room, probably indicative of a decent power response despite the unavoidable beaming issues. Just wondering if your drivers fall under the same category. At the opposite end of the spectrum, you have Mark Audio drivers, some of which have built-in HF down-shelving as a mean of pre-emptive BSC.

az
 
beautiful speakers Nate!:thmbsp: I really like the chamfered edges, I might copy that detail on my next build.

Wish I could hear them, or any properly set up field coil for that matter.
 
Nate, is it important to get those full rangers up to ear level just like the conventional practice with multi driver speakers?
They should be close to ear level, or at least aimed up to ear level (the cabs have a slight lean to them). Most of the guys using the F60 cabinet are putting them on a platform of some sort - a board or slab of rock - and spikes or footers on that. I've experimented a teensy bit with a couple of boards but I just need more time.

Wow, really a new angle, Nate!
It looks like your cabinet guy did a great job on the enclosures.
How are you liking them so far?
So far, so good. These are so very different from my big horns that I am still in processing mode, trying to figure out exactly what I am hearing. I'm not very good at this: I need to get Ron and Gary over here, pronto!

Is there any baffle-step compensation on these at the moment (I'd guess no) ? Does Feastrex recommend anything on this matter (again - I'd guess no) ? Do they sound bright when on-axis? How about when you are maybe 30° off-axis?

I have two Philips fullrange drivers, the venerable AD9710 (8") and AD7060 (6"). Both of these have a large rise in the HF, likely where the whizzer starts to do its thing, like 8-10dB. This seems a bit much on-axis, but the response flattens-out nicely when moving 30-45° off-axis, which makes for a generally balanced sound in-room, probably indicative of a decent power response despite the unavoidable beaming issues. Just wondering if your drivers fall under the same category. At the opposite end of the spectrum, you have Mark Audio drivers, some of which have built-in HF down-shelving as a mean of pre-emptive BSC.

az

az, I'm not even going to pretend to understand all that you just said. Speakers are voodoo to me - I'll stick to building amps! :)

That said, they have very different presentation depending on whether they're straight on or toed in a bit. The majority of photos I've seen of other setups show them pointed straight into the room, with no toe in at all. That's really difficult for me, coming from the Edgarhorns that had to be laser-focused at my ears, but I am experimenting with it.
 
beautiful speakers Nate!:thmbsp: I really like the chamfered edges, I might copy that detail on my next build.

Wish I could hear them, or any properly set up field coil for that matter.
Thanks! Yes, I like the edge detail, too. My cabinetmaker was pretty happy with how they turned out and said he might be borrowing the idea for future work... on kitchen cabinets!
 
az, I'm not even going to pretend to understand all that you just said. Speakers are voodoo to me - I'll stick to building amps! :)

That said, they have very different presentation depending on whether they're straight on or toed in a bit. The majority of photos I've seen of other setups show them pointed straight into the room, with no toe in at all. That's really difficult for me, coming from the Edgarhorns that had to be laser-focused at my ears, but I am experimenting with it.

I assume that the drivers are connected directly to your amp at the moment, with no correction network for the high frequencies (of smaller wavelength than the baffle size) radiating in half-space. OTOH, if the drivers don't have a rise in their response, that fact that you are driving them with a SE amp might help give a warmer sound because of its high output impedance. You also have them placed close enough to the back-wall that any baffle-step effect must not be too strong. And as mentionned before, your adjustable field-coil driver probably allows for a certain amount of control over tonality.

Alternatively, just have fun and don't worry about all that geek-fodder minutiae. :)

az
 
The ultimate full range driver and how I'd love to have a pair to play with.

Tang Band copied the Feastrex look in their W8-1808.
 
I wish I could find T/S parameters and freq response graphs on them. I just looked up the TB 1808. That is a good looking driver for sure and with a sub could work well as well.
 
I would be really curious to know what the on-axis response is like with these and how effective the whizzer is at deciphering the upper registers... The whizzer design and phase plug shape/size is really similar to a driver I'm working on. It appears to have a larger diameter and more of a conical cone shape. Perhaps this will help with the on-axis beaminess that is often the crutch of most whizzer coned full rangers.
 
Umm...well...I....kinda....

The hell with it!
Nate, I'd really like an invite to get a chance to hear this setup. I'm intrigued and I'm impressed. I want my ears to experience SET/field-coil goodness. I have never, and would love to.

Very. Nice.:yes:
 
I've been listening a little more over the past few days, and things are going in a good direction.

Rick, I'll be sure to extend the invite when I find a few hours to have some of the local characters over for a listen. I don't know when that will be, exactly, but it needs to happen. Post holidays, pre spring, perhaps.
 
So, we have any new listening impressions yet Nate?
We're going to have to get you over here soon, Gary.

When they're good, they're very good. It seems they need a lot of warm up time, so I have taken to leaving the drivers' power supply on all the time, 24/7. It draws very little current and runs very cool, so I'm not worried about that.

The tube amps also need more warm up time with these. If I don't wait, things sound congested and boxy. Give 'em time and they open up, though.

You should see the footers I am using right now! My father in law was a biochemist, and I have scads of big ol' bottle corks that I inherited from him. I was looking for a way to elevate these just a bit and provide a bit of damping, and wouldn't you know it, but I had a full set of cork footers! They'll do nicely for now.

I still think they could use a bit more space behind them, between the cabinets and the rear wall, but for now I will have to compromise.

The "factory amps" are just potent enough for these, and I am looking forward to trying some different amplification with them.
 
I think more power would help, but I also want to go lower power just to test that theory. I have always been surprised at how little power I actually need.

I have a bunch of unfinished amp projects around here (as you are well aware!), but these speakers give me even more reason to finally finish yours - I want to try something with a 16ohm secondary!
 
Back
Top Bottom