• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Finally, a pair of Dynacos!

Urizen

Lunatic Member
Thanks to a headsup from MarkAnderson, I picked these up locally today, my first set of Dynacos. The cabinets measure 19 3/4" H x 11 7/16" W x 9 7/8" D. The woofer baskets measure 10" across. I assume they are A-25?

They are very well built and pass the knuckle rap test. The grills frames were trashed, however, I think the cloth may be salvagable after a good cleaning. One badge is present. I have them hooked up as I type. Tremendous bass, and a very sweet sounding tweeter. I heard my first pair of Dynacos at the Southern Fest this past weekend, a set of A-10s, and these have a very similar sound, only bigger. The L-pads work fine.

I plan on refinishing the cabs, for they are a slighly different color from each other, and one has a nasty stain on the top. Fresh caps are in order, too. Other than that, all of the corners are square. and there are no deep gouges or scratches.

Not bad for $26.

DynA-251.jpg


DynA-252.jpg


DynA-253.jpg


DynA-254.jpg


I have been looking for a pair since finding AK! :thmbsp:

Regards,

Ken
 
Register to hide this ad
I have been looking for a pair since finding AK

Damm those look sweet. Nice find Ken.
I have wanted a set for as long as you, but the only time I ever see them they are 150 in so-so condition.
How much difference in the sound do the stands make?
 
I too just got a pair of these. I have had them for a couple weeks and reallt like them. Big sound from a small package. Refinished my cabs as well. Enjoy. Funny, my tweeters are on the right hand side of the cab. Whats up, anybody? Were they made both ways or actually sold as mirror image pairs?
 
Those look like A-25's. The A-35's had a larger cabinet with no external aperiodic vent. I am less certain how to distinguish A-25XL's.

IIRC the L-pads on the A-25's are detented switches with fixed resistances... definitely preferable IMO to variable resistors (pots) in L-pads thirty or forty years down the road... although I doubt the designers were really thinking of such long lifespans for their creations!
 
Mr Slabi said:
How much difference in the sound do the stands make?

I use these 18" Lovan Jazz stands for all of my larger sized bookshelf speakers. I filled them with lead shot and they weigh about 40 pounds each. They place the tweeters of most speakers at ear level and decouple the speakers from the floor.

Thanks...
 
mhardy6647 said:
IIRC the L-pads on the A-25's are detented switches with fixed resistances... definitely preferable IMO to variable resistors (pots) in L-pads thirty or forty years down the road...

They are five position detented switches.

I found some info on Dynaco speakers here and here.
 
Nice score for a nice price, Urizen! The A25's are on my "short list" of speakers to find... affordably. $26.00 is great! :thmbsp:
 
mhardy6647 said:
Those look like A-25's. The A-35's had a larger cabinet with no external aperiodic vent. I am less certain how to distinguish A-25XL's.

I believe the XL series had a 1" tweeter rather than 1 1/2"
 
Congratulations Ken. Bet they sound great with your set up. Yep those stands are heavy. Moved them around while you were setting up at Southern Fest.
 
I've had my pair of A-25's for a year now, once again thanks to Mark Anderson, and they really are my "go to" speakers. They're not as magical as my AR-3's, not quite as crisp as my AR-4x's. But on the other hand the 3's are only magical with certain recordings, and the 4x's crispness can actually get a touch tiresome after an hour or so. The A-25's manage to get the music across, consistently, beautifully, and effectively time after time. So they get hooked up and played, while other speakers don't.

They just seem to have a way of growing on you...
 
...and they even have the official "I survived the seventies" watermark on top (making them true classics).

Congratulations! A-25s are on my short (and cheap, and local) wish-list, too.

A-25
Klipsch Heresy
AR-3a
 
I've got a pair of these over at a fellow AKer's house, I'm eagerly awaiting them. Got 'em for a very fair price of $75.

Since I can't drive due to my accident, I've been unable to pick them up, and the fellow AKer is working two jobs, bless his soul, so I'll be patient until we can get together socially to get them- hopefully a listening party at my house with other AKers- still on the schedule, just need to finish moving in.

Eagerly awaiting to try 'em out!!!

For you who come across some Boston Acoustics A-70s, a friend of mine with a very accurate and trained ear says the A-70s are similar in sound, about 80% of what the Dyncos can do.
 
Good deal, Ken! They look pretty dang good to me - better than I remember from the auction pics :scratch2: . Nice price, too. :thmbsp:
 
There are some that claim that the A-25 is somewhat muddy at times. Perhaps 'rolled off' might make more sense to you, the reader of these words.

I can understand and appreciate that this indeed true, but the overall performance of the speaker makes up for it. It is wonderfully easy to listen to.

There is a nice and easy solution to the inherent muddiness - use a BBE Sonic Maximizer. Suddenly, the A-25 is clear, not rolled-off. Wow, what a combo. Shhhh, it's a secret!
 
Back
Top Bottom