• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Finally! DQ-10s in da house!

I'll start my own thread once I get the parts in.
Don
I might recommend posting that thread now so that the cap list can be vetted unless you are most comfortable selecting the cap brand, capacitance and voltage yourself.

If you know the values of the old caps, there were a couple that were changed through production and knowing what you have can determine if you need to upgrade to the later schematic values or maybe you are using the later schematic to get your cap list.

The Hafler should do a nice job to a certain volume. My best is with 50 tube watts but I have 200 ss watts that everyone says you must have, not if they had heard the 50 tube watts. I just loaned a pair of mine to Mark and he was able to put them in place while his wife was out shopping. I haven't heard from him since she returned but he did say he remembers why he liked those best of my speakers. I have Steve's pair of Tympani IVa speakers that need storage and well they took up so much room I needed to store on pair of my DQ-10s. Thanks @Aerobat.
 
I might recommend posting that thread now so that the cap list can be vetted unless you are most comfortable selecting the cap brand, capacitance and voltage yourself.

If you know the values of the old caps, there were a couple that were changed through production and knowing what you have can determine if you need to upgrade to the later schematic values or maybe you are using the later schematic to get your cap list.

The Hafler should do a nice job to a certain volume. My best is with 50 tube watts but I have 200 ss watts that everyone says you must have, not if they had heard the 50 tube watts. I just loaned a pair of mine to Mark and he was able to put them in place while his wife was out shopping. I haven't heard from him since she returned but he did say he remembers why he liked those best of my speakers. I have Steve's pair of Tympani IVa speakers that need storage and well they took up so much room I needed to store on pair of my DQ-10s. Thanks @Aerobat.

Thanks, I'll start a thread as I would love to have some guidance on the caps, no problem there. I'm in the middle of repairing my mid so I haven't pulled the crossovers off yet but will soon. I followed the directions on mid repair on one of the linked threads and it's going surprisingly well so far. I'm a clockmaker so I already have some small, good quality tools and practiced in soldering. Great resources here.
Don
 
Here's my parts list: (2 Different sets of DQ-10's)
xw8Xo.png
Curious if voltage matters since almost all of the capacitors on my DQ10s are 100v?
 
voltage rating not a relevant value for this speaker crossover.

more likely not a value that you will exceed with normal amplification. They make some very low voltage caps but most anything someone will put into a speaker will not be threatened by the voltage from the amp. This can lead to the not relevant statement.
 
more likely not a value that you will exceed with normal amplification. They make some very low voltage caps but most anything someone will put into a speaker will not be threatened by the voltage from the amp. This can lead to the not relevant statement.

exactly.

just with fewer words.
 
Hi Folks, I read that there are older and newer models of the DQ10 and use slightly different values for capacitors ( Audiogon Discussion Forum). Not sure which mine are, wondering if anyone knows an easy way to determine such. Also I'm assuming that if the crossover components still say "Dahlquist" on them that they are the original components? IDK. Thanks a lot
 
Also I have really grown to love these speakers, had them posted to sell as I got a pair of KEF 105.2 that had better highs and mids I thought but the DQs really bring music to life:smoke::beatnik::bowdown:
 
before i drop $120 on capacitors, the woofer circuit uses an 80uf non-polarized electrolytic cap. should i replace with an electrolytic or poly cap? it's a difference of $40.

also, i cannot find exact values for the 6.0 and 6.5 uf caps. (i see 5.6, 6.2, 6.8) my boards use (2) 6.0uf caps and (1) 6.5uf cap. Can I replace all three with the same 6.2uf values +/- 5%?

Do I need polypropylene caps or will mylar film work?

Finally, some of the ceramic resistors measure sightly lower than their marked values and some are right on. How picky do I need to be with these?

this is the schematic that resembles my boards.
post-101706-1178459132.jpg
 
Welcome to ak @83nl33

Did you have a question about baco’s post?

If not, but about the DQ-10, maybe start a new thread here in speaker forum. Start Thread link top right of threads in each forum, green button.
 
Back
Top Bottom