• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

First Mac.......tube or SS?

kerouacknew

Active Member
Hi i have been debating for months now on upgrading my system. New vs vintage ,etc,etc.
I think i have finally decided to go the vintage Mcintosh route now....pretty sure.
Now i am trying to decide between SS or tube.
I have around $1500 cash(paypal) saved up from selling off a few things and have been thinking about picking up a Mc2105/2100 or a Mc2505/250 with a C26 or C28 pre. I thought this would make a good start.
But now i am having second thoughts about maybe going the tube route instead. It just seems like thats the next step everyone goes to. I realize that i would need more cash but i currently have a camera i could sell for prob around $2500. I am currently using two sets of speakers with my current system. Yamaha MS690 and Paradigm Studio 20 which i would like to continue to use.
So my question is to people who have experience with Mcintosh would be if they recommend just going straight to the tubes(cause i will prob end up there anyway) save me having to sell the SS as well as the C26-c28 which seem to be harder to sell as there seem to be a lot of them out there.
As well would i be able to run 2 sets of speakers with a macintosh tube amp(MC30/60 monos, Mc240)?
Any recommendations would be appreciated.......i listen to a wide variety of music(Ben harper,Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, Miles Davis, Mumford and Sons, Frank Sinatra) at decent volumes at times......nothing to crazy though.
Your thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
 
Register to hide this ad
There is also a combination of both. I am using a SS preamp (C28) with a tube amp (MC240).
Only because I don't have the cash to go with a tube preamp. I do have one, but not a Mac.
 
Ahh true enough. I was actually considering SS amp with tube pre.
I am mostly trying to determine if i should just spend a little money to start or sell the farm and cut out a step and just go all tubes.
 
What are you running now? Those MS690s are pretty bright speakers, tubes might mellow them out a bit. The beloved MC225 and an MX110 are definitely in you budget. Mac tube amps only have connectors for one pair of speakers so you'll need a switch box.
 
What are you running now? Those MS690s are pretty bright speakers, tubes might mellow them out a bit. The beloved MC225 and an MX110 are definitely in you budget. Mac tube amps only have connectors for one pair of speakers so you'll need a switch box.

A MC225 AND a MX110 for $1500? Maybe, but I think he would have to get pretty lucky. I would expect the MC225 alone to cost that much? I mean, I could be wrong, but that's what I've noticed lately.
 
I think what the OP was saying is that he has $1500 saved and could get another $2500 by selling a camera. That brings the grand total to $4k - and in that case I would recommend getting something like an MC225, MC30's or MC60's and pairing it with an MX110Z. Should be able to get fully restored examples of both with your budget if your patient.
I have an MC225 and love it. I would skip the MC2105 + C26 combo (I've been there too) and go straight to the top! Like you said you'd probably end up there anyway.
 
Thanks for the replies guys. I have heard good things about the mx110z as well.
Its not cheap though. Would def have to sell that camera.
What are your thoughts on pairing it with a Mc2100?
I have one available now for $1050 Canadian here.
It would give me a little while to contemplate if i really wanted to sell my beloved Leica.:(
Plus the 2100 could be sold without losing any money. The C26 prob not so much.
 
MC2105 is a phenomenal choice for a first Mc! Some never felt the need to move on. I love my MC225 but you'd be hard pressed to find a nice one for $1500.

You may also consider the MC2125 for SS or an MC240 as they often sell for less than MC225s and are more plentiful.
 
The plan originally was for a MC2105 but they are rare rare around here recently and with the exchange rate(Canadian) they are going for $1500 or more up here when u factor in the exchange.
 
Oh, any McIntosh power amp will easily drive two pair of 8 Ohm speakers wired in parallel, even the direct coupled designs. Some Mc preamps (C26 or C27 for example) have onboard speaker switching facilities for two pair of speakers. Others (C28 for example) can add this feature as well with the optional SCR2 speaker relay. Mc preamps with onboard speaker switching also typically rely on a connection from the speaker outs of the amplifier to drive the headphone section.
 
The MC2105 / MC2100 / MC250 / MC2505 all have the very same sonic signature. Then there are the MC50 / MC100 (super rare) which are mono versions. A pair of MC50s is also a great foray into the world of Mc amplification!
 
I can't advise which way to go but tube and higher price not necessarily mean "better". You could be hard pressed to tell the difference between amps suggested at A/B testing. I'd suggest to try and listen the amps and preamps you are interested in and make your judgment that way.
However, one thing is almost certain: buying tube will bring you higher rate of return if that is what you are looking for. MAC tubes appreciate quite well and you certainly will not lose any money providing unit has no major issues in the future.

Good luck in your quest.
 
I have speakers that need a lot of power so I run SS power, but a tube pre really warmed things up. I lost no detail. I would do it again in a heart beat.
 
Having recently been bitten by the McIntosh bug I went with a tube pre and solid state amplifier. Running a MX110z with a 2125 and I feel it is a great combination. Get the best of both worlds this way. Tube warmth and midrange and the bottom end and power of SS.
Took a while to find the right units but being patient will pay off. Will probably go all tube at some point but I am very happy with this setup for now :D
 
I have no first hand experience but I have had two techs warn me off of early Mac SS stuff because of unavailability of parts (germanium transistors etc.) I don't know how much of an issue that really is if you purchase a good working unit, but something to think about. Obviously availability of tubes is also a concern with tube gear but it seems that at least people recognize what they are now and keep them and some are even still produced.
 
But now i am having second thoughts about maybe going the tube route instead. It just seems like thats the next step everyone goes to.

So my question is to people who have experience with Mcintosh would be if they recommend just going straight to the tubes(cause i will prob end up there anyway) save me having to sell the SS as well as the C26-c28 which seem to be harder to sell as there seem to be a lot of them out there.

As well would i be able to run 2 sets of speakers with a macintosh tube amp(MC30/60 monos, Mc240)?

If you want tubes go for it, however I feel it's not worth the effort and at your buy in budget you could have issues with that price preamp or power amp. You'll end up spending a bunch more money anyway, and cosmetics could not be very good.

That said you don't have to get both preamp and power amp at the same time. Not to mention buying macs that are around just because you have the cash in hand doesn't make the best buys.

Realistically you want to have the funds when a component comes up for sale. Not just because you have the funds you have to buy what's available right now. Know what you want and wait for it and get whatever comes up first be it a pre or power amp. Or keep generating more fund that you don't touch unless it's for your planed out components.

Also build one system, while you can drive more than one power amp/speaker system off one preamp, what happens is one always sounds better anyway. This is irrelevant of cost and you'll go down the rabbit hole.

Personally I feel you should plan on twice your budget to get both components, or a minimum of $2500, and that would be for all SS.
 
I have no first hand experience but I have had two techs warn me off of early Mac SS stuff because of unavailability of parts (germanium transistors etc.) I don't know how much of an issue that really is if you purchase a good working unit, but something to think about. Obviously availability of tubes is also a concern with tube gear but it seems that at least people recognize what they are now and keep them and some are even still produced.

I think the concerns expressed by those two technicians are grossly misplaced; nothing could be further from the truth.

As far as tube availability is concerned, again, there is no problem there either.
 
If you were closer, I could demo my Conrad Johnson Tube pre w/ MC2100 or 250 or 2205. I'd even offer up the 250 for sale. Good luck! Be patient!

Don't say things like that... I've already grossly exceeded my audio budget for the year, but I think I'm going to have to end up bypassing the tone controls on my Pilot if I want to listen to tube goodness... OK back to your regularly scheduled programming...
 
Back
Top Bottom