• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

First Mac.......tube or SS?

I think the concerns expressed by those two technicians are grossly misplaced; nothing could be further from the truth.

As far as tube availability is concerned, again, there is no problem there either.
I have trouble finding "some" tubes. There are caps that are next to impossible to find and command prices equalling my first car.
You may be right that the parts for the equipment mentioned are available, I truthfully wouldn't know. But I have a guitar pedal that the cap inside goes for about $700. I have caps in a 50's guitar that I was offered $3500 for.
 
I have trouble finding "some" tubes. There are caps that are next to impossible to find and command prices equalling my first car.
You may be right that the parts for the equipment mentioned are available, I truthfully wouldn't know. But I have a guitar pedal that the cap inside goes for about $700. I have caps in a 50's guitar that I was offered $3500 for.

According to the technicians in the previously referenced quote, their admonitions (and my response) specifically concerned Mac.

Thanks.
 
Last edited:
I have no first hand experience but I have had two techs warn me off of early Mac SS stuff because of unavailability of parts (germanium transistors etc.) I don't know how much of an issue that really is if you purchase a good working unit, but something to think about. Obviously availability of tubes is also a concern with tube gear but it seems that at least people recognize what they are now and keep them and some are even still produced.

There is nothing that is not available to service any McIntosh amplifier, there are substitutions which can be made which even improve the performance....
 
I have trouble finding "some" tubes. There are caps that are next to impossible to find and command prices equalling my first car.
You may be right that the parts for the equipment mentioned are available, I truthfully wouldn't know. But I have a guitar pedal that the cap inside goes for about $700. I have caps in a 50's guitar that I was offered $3500 for.
What kind of caps go for that, platinum foil on Teflon film?
 
What kind of caps go for that, platinum foil on Teflon film?
I'm not fancy to know that... Bumble bee oil foil caps from a 61 Les Paul (SG shape) they are in my 54 Custom but from a 61. It was the harness, pots, wire and caps that the offer was made for. Apparently they are completely correct for a 59.

There are many vintage caps that cost a pretty penny. I don't care what smart people say... With "some" you can hear a difference. Sometimes no difference. I have a modern reissue amp in my staple that every cap was replaced with much much better quality ones.... I can hear no difference. I have a 65 AC30 TB that we changed a caps on and it ruined the magic.
 
Last edited:
Getting back to the original question, I'll just go ahead an toss in my 2 nickels and suggest an MC 250/2505 with an MX110 or maybe even an MX117. MC 2100/2105 for a bit more "oomph" if the speakers are low to moderate sensitivity.
 
Thanks 62caddy for getting us back on track. :D
I am kinda thinking the same. I have a line on a 250 right now for $600 US.
The Mx110z could take a little longer to find and i will prob have to raise a little more funds.
At least the 250 will not depreciate and if i decide i need the tubes i could sell it for what i paid.
As well it seems to have a decent reputation.........i am leaning this way at the moment.
thanks all for the replies.
 
I'd go an entirely different route. If you shop carefully, you could probably pick up a used MC275 MKIV and a C220 and be near $4K. Good luck on any old used equipment. You will quickly find that you will be pouring money into the gear to get it restored and then no telling when the next thing will fail. Classic Mac are like classic cars....you need to know how to fix them yourself or be prepared to dump more money than you expected into them to keep them going. This is pure fact as I have experience. If this is for your main rig then newer is better. Just check out Terry DeWickts backlog.
 
According to the technicians in the previously referenced quote, their admonitions (and my response) specifically concerned Mac.

Thanks.
To be fair at least one of them was referring to a pre. Not sure if the other was making a general comment or was referring to a specific piece of equipment or not, and I don't remember what it was I asked him about, but I was thinking it was a power amp.
 
I just bought my first McIntosh gear, a MC 2105. I have had all tubes, all SS, SS pre with tube amp, tube pre with SS amp. The tube pre/SS amp combo really works for me. I sought this out and had been looking at used Krell and other SS amps in the 1000.00 dollar range. I went with the McIntosh because it sounds great, looks beautiful, holds value and is just dead quiet. Wow. Don't be afraid to try one of these.
 
I just came over to the world of tubes from some nice Carver gear running through ribbons. Found a deal on a set of MC40 monoblocks, a fellow on the forums here rebuilt them and I picked up a nice set of Klipsch Heresy's. I'm using a spare SS Carver pre for now and absolutely love the sound of this system.
If you have been using SS than I would recommend looking for a MC240 or MC275 amp to get started. I know nothing about your speakers sensitivity so you need to take a look at that. But investing in Mac tube amps is just that, an investment. One that will give you years of pleasure and hold a great resale value.
Maybe there is someone close to you in the Mac forum that could let you listen to there system.
Listening to Dire Staits as I type, simply awesome.

BillWojo
 
I'd go an entirely different route. If you shop carefully, you could probably pick up a used MC275 MKIV and a C220 and be near $4K.
Really hard to argue with this reasoning ... Reissues of the venerable MC275 come up often on the used market and are priced reasonably. The amp alone is outside of your budget but this an option to consider.

Regardless of which Mc you choose to be a first, take comfort in knowing that you'll wonder just why you waited so long.
 
Maybe the prices have risen but I bought my MC275 MKV used for around 2400 I believe. Not sure where C220s are these days. Camera would have to be sold for sure. I guess if I had to pick amp or pre tube and SS, I think I would go for the tube amp if it was up to drive my speakers. It may also depend on your sources. Do you need phono stage or just a line stage? You could get by with a number of passive preamps until you save up for a proper preamp. If you had the MC275 MKIV you can also adjust the gain to match with non Mac preamps as well. Mac on a budget is tough business. Sell the Leica. Those are overpriced and buy an Olympus and a nice McIntosh analog system. Assuming you are shooting digital that thing will be obsolete in a fortnight.

The Mac will hold and can appreciate in value. There isn't a camera on the planet that can do the same.
 
Btw, I have a C2300 and a MC275 MKV but I also have a pair of MC30's and C20. I love the vintage stuff for what it is just like a classic car, but the new stuff is absolutely dynamite in terms of audio quality. Bar none.
 
The best advice I can give anyone looking to buy their first McIntosh component is to buy a fairly modern item. The modern SS integrated amps are a fantastic way to start your McIntosh experience.
 
You can be certain no matter which Mcintosh you choose will be performing its best if you buy it from Audio Classics. Be it an old C-20 or C-11 to the rare 3500, they will perform their best. Any service company that can repair a MR-80 with all its issues can keep you happy. Their ability to keep the disc players performing through the years has been a real challenge and proves their technical prowess.

They also know the history of Mcintosh as well as anyone and will be able to helpyou choose if you really want tubes or SS. I have owned 14 pieces of Mac tube stuff over the years, and I don't miss them at all. In fact I'm glad they are gone. My 2505 and MPI-4 are over 40 years old and the 2505 has been cleaned every now and then and the light bulbs replaced just once and its still performing very well. The MPI-4 had to have a new display tube tube a few years ago and some trim controls, but that was minor. The C-22 always needed a little something from cleaning, to tightening the RCa jacks, to tube to capacitors. 275 and 240's it was tube tubes tubes with the input selector switch and pots needing cleaning semi annually. The MR-77 and 78 went over 30 years with out a miss, and the 2100's performed very well for many years. Items like the MCD 7005, MQ 101, 206, and other SS amps have never been a problem. So yes the tube units of old are pieces to be highly valued and deserve the price they demand, but if you are looking for dependability look to the century series amps, MC150, MC300 , MC500, MC122, 162, MC 352, 252, or newer. I would want the 40 series pre-amps, and the later 80 series tuners. Disc players I will yield to Ryan or Steve at Audio classics for the best choice for your situation.
 
Last edited:
As far as parts go for the older ones, cosmetic parts like glass, knobs, facia trim, ect, may be hard come by. Control stacks and switches likewise, a bad transformer may be very problematic, and quality new production 7591A output tubes are still a work in progress. Jim McShane likes the E-H and flatly warns off the JJs, I'd order from him.
 
Last edited:
Another possibility that hasn't been mentioned is the MAC 1500. I had one I was selling on BT for $1500, but after listening to it a bit more, I reconsidered and am keeping it. OTOH, I sold my MC-225 earlier this year, and don't miss it. The MAC 1500 is a hybrid tube tuner/SS pre/tube amp and the SS pre can be easily upgraded with newer better performing transistors. In fact, many of them aren't even soldered in, but use old school transistor sockets. And yeah, old manufacture 7591 tubes are getting harder to find, but not impossible. There's a bunch of them on BT now....
 
Hey thank you for all the replies/sugestions. A lot of great options i see.
At the moment i am leaning toward picking up the Mc250. I have always been partial to the vintage stuff.
I have the cash to buy it now which would make it a nice christmas gift for myself.
Then the plan(i think) is to sell that camera and lenses. Should bring me enough to perhaps pick up a good pre.
Hopefully a tubed one(Mx110z or c22).
I am thinking that is the direction i am leaning toward right now anyway.
Thanks for the help guys.
 
Back
Top Bottom