• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher 500B Need Restoration Help, in Maryland

BlueBlaze

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I sure could use, and would greatly appreciate, some advice on finding a tech in Maryland to complete the restoration of my 500B. I've received the can caps from Hayseed & expecting delivery soon of a kit from Metalbone. Not at all comfortable tackling this myself.

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
What kind of experience do you have. Can you solder decently? Know how to read a schematic enough to follow electrical flow? You don't need to know the theory, or the gross or fine interactions between components. The metalbone kit has instructions and with pictures too, which is especially nice for Torpedomen, Marines, Engine Room Gang (who generally like more pictures than text) and a lot of the SUB-30 crowd who've never been taught what a Hammer is for much less picked up a nail, changed a tire, or checked the oil in a car. (I'm 62 and I'm self taught so I have a somewhat Evil, Wicked, Mean, and Nasty streak about me at times). If you can follow directions, ask dumb sounding questions(maybe to you), and then take the Snippy, sarcastic, and generally smart-ass remarks from the nuthouse surrounding the CORRECT Answers, (you have to be able to take the ribbing from those who've BTDT and wear the T-SHIRTS especially when you screw the pooch and we ALL HAVE at one time or another but some won't admit it) then you can do this yourself. It's not Rocket Science, but does involve a bit of Brain smoke, and a bit of self confidence. Plus down the road you can brag to all your friends when they come over to listen to it..........."I REBUILT IT MYSELF!"

So what are you waiting for....................
 
What kind of experience do you have. Can you solder decently? Know how to read a schematic enough to follow electrical flow? You don't need to know the theory, or the gross or fine interactions between components. The metalbone kit has instructions and with pictures too, which is especially nice for Torpedomen, Marines, Engine Room Gang (who generally like more pictures than text) and a lot of the SUB-30 crowd who've never been taught what a Hammer is for much less picked up a nail, changed a tire, or checked the oil in a car. (I'm 62 and I'm self taught so I have a somewhat Evil, Wicked, Mean, and Nasty streak about me at times). If you can follow directions, ask dumb sounding questions(maybe to you), and then take the Snippy, sarcastic, and generally smart-ass remarks from the nuthouse surrounding the CORRECT Answers, (you have to be able to take the ribbing from those who've BTDT and wear the T-SHIRTS especially when you screw the pooch and we ALL HAVE at one time or another but some won't admit it) then you can do this yourself. It's not Rocket Science, but does involve a bit of Brain smoke, and a bit of self confidence. Plus down the road you can brag to all your friends when they come over to listen to it..........."I REBUILT IT MYSELF!"

So what are you waiting for....................

Thanks Larry, I appreciate the encouragement. Experience is very limited & soldering skills are limited to a couple of speaker recaps. And, what in the hell is a schematic?
I'm 62 too, but haven't taught myself much in the way of electronics repair. I'd considering attempting the resto, but really don't want to botch it on what I understand is a nice piece of gear. It's in decent cosmetic condition & works well, but I'm not pleased with its performance sonically. Also, I've installed new TS 7591a's, but no real improvement. I talked with someone from Odenton Radio & TV in Randalstown, who says they'll do the work, but I was hoping to find a local AK guru interested in helping me out. I see you're in Glen Burnie (hint). I bought the 500B from a guy in Pasadena.
 
Last edited:
Don't let Larry scare you. His bark is even worse than his bark (let alone his bite!)
If you want to try we do ride shotgun.
If you really don't want to tackle, you're probably not too far from wharfcreek (Tom).
Good luck with the project!
 
I wouldn't be surprised if Wharfcreek sold him the 500b! LOL!

BlueBlaze. I can sit over your shoulder and guide you along if you want, but I gave up working on them except for mine, since the Wife got sick in Dec 2016, and passed away this past Oct. I really don't have much push to do my gear either. Maybe one of these days I'll feel better tho, and I can get a couple projects finished one of which has been sitting for a year now.
 
Well, yes, I did get it from Tom! I'd previously purchased some old speaker cabinets from him - really only wanted the legs for my Wharfedale W90's. I still have the cabs sitting in my storage room. Tom gave me a tour of his stash & piqued my interest in an old Fisher. A year or so later, we made a deal on the 500B.

I appreciate the kind offer of guiding me thru the restoration process, but I'm thinking I'll give the guy at Odenton Radio a shot at it. Hopefully, that goes well - time will tell. I'll report back either way. Fingers crossed!

Larry, I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish you and your family brighter days ahead.

Thanks again,
Steve
 
If doing it yourself is not in the cards for whatever reason, there is an old radio guy in downtown Kensington that I have used when my Scott acted up.... Also, Music Technology in Springfield VA, but they are farther away and more expensive.
 
If doing it yourself is not in the cards for whatever reason, there is an old radio guy in downtown Kensington that I have used when my Scott acted up.... Also, Music Technology in Springfield VA, but they are farther away and more expensive.
Thanks EL Pee. Sure, I'd be interested in speaking with the old guy in Kensington. Old guys are smart, good looking & funny! I'm in Laurel, so that's reasonably close to me. And, yes, I've heard that MT does good work, but quite pricey + I'll do most anything to avoid Northern Va. If you can PM or post the old dudes contact info, that would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
Steve
 
Odenton Radio should be avoided like the plague. I took an AKAI R2R Tape deck in there about 10 years ago, none of the idiots there knew what it was, plus they acted like I had 3 heads. I ended up doing it myself, and sold it 5 years ago for $200. Not bad for a $10 Thrift store find. My total outlay for parts was about $30.00 so sold for 5 times I paid for it.

El Pee. I finally got a Tonearm rest for the SL-1200. And some new legs. You can't kill this thing.
 
Odenton Radio should be avoided like the plague. I took an AKAI R2R Tape deck in there about 10 years ago, none of the idiots there knew what it was, plus they acted like I had 3 heads. I ended up doing it myself, and sold it 5 years ago for $200. Not bad for a $10 Thrift store find. My total outlay for parts was about $30.00 so sold for 5 times I paid for it.

El Pee. I finally got a Tonearm rest for the SL-1200. And some new legs. You can't kill this thing.

Thanks for the feedback, Larry. El Pee hooked me up with a geezer in Kensington - we'll get along fine! The receptionist at Odenton Radio said they'd do the work for 150.00 - 175.00, full recap, including the cans (w/me supplying the kits). That seemed like a great price, but quite suspect. I get pretty damned cranky when I'm low-balled and then gouged.
 
Welcome, I work in Beltsville. I'd offer to help, but I have a similar project with a Scott 340B that's been shelved since my Hayseed caps were delayed Christmas before last and I haven't had a lick of free time since! This would be my first work this extensive and while I lack your fear, I'd want to get this one done before offering to help anyone else with a similar project in any case.

I met a guy off Craigslist just last week from Kensington who took my Pilot 654 to an older tech nearby who did some work on the tuner for me. Wonder if it's the same guy? I didn't get an intro though. Tuner works a lot better, although reception is still not up to par with my other units. Will be looking at tubes next, I have a thread going on that one.

Anyway welcome, and you're so damn close to where I usually hang out - my girlfriend lives in Aspen Hill and I work in Beltsville as I said - hopefully we'll run into each other eventually.
 
Odenton Radio should be avoided like the plague. I took an AKAI R2R Tape deck in there about 10 years ago, none of the idiots there knew what it was, plus they acted like I had 3 heads. I ended up doing it myself, and sold it 5 years ago for $200. Not bad for a $10 Thrift store find. My total outlay for parts was about $30.00 so sold for 5 times I paid for it.

El Pee. I finally got a Tonearm rest for the SL-1200. And some new legs. You can't kill this thing.

No Larry, the Akai has three heads not you...

(sorry, someone had to say it)
 
Welcome, I work in Beltsville. I'd offer to help, but I have a similar project with a Scott 340B that's been shelved since my Hayseed caps were delayed Christmas before last and I haven't had a lick of free time since! This would be my first work this extensive and while I lack your fear, I'd want to get this one done before offering to help anyone else with a similar project in any case.

I met a guy off Craigslist just last week from Kensington who took my Pilot 654 to an older tech nearby who did some work on the tuner for me. Wonder if it's the same guy? I didn't get an intro though. Tuner works a lot better, although reception is still not up to par with my other units. Will be looking at tubes next, I have a thread going on that one.

Anyway welcome, and you're so damn close to where I usually hang out - my girlfriend lives in Aspen Hill and I work in Beltsville as I said - hopefully we'll run into each other eventually.

Thanks N8Nagel. It may very well be the same guy, he's off Connecticut Ave (Kensington Parkway) Kensington Radio & TV, I believe. Where's your hangout in Beltsville? I know of Remington's, but haven't been there in a very long time. Hangovers are too painful these days!
 
Don't really have an after work hangout, when we're sociable we usually just all go out for lunch somewhere as there are a surprising number of decent restaurants in the Beltsville/Laurel area. I've no idea where the tech is but the guy I met I believe is trying to start a small business buying/flipping busted tube gear. I gave him a good deal on an old Fisher X-101-B and he decided that not only was he going to get the tuner tweaked on my Pilot but he also thought I might like a pair of Advent /3s he had no plans for. Little did he know that I already found a pair of them at Value Village for (mumble) that I was using for bench speakers so now I'm thinking I should try to get the pair back that I sold last year and replace all the mismatched speakers that are making up the HT system :) I also saw the Fisher after he'd got it working and those guys slammed that thing back into shape fast, so I feel better about selling it now.

Anyway, let us know how things work out with your Fisher.

As an aside, for solid state stuff that I can't fix myself, Jimmy at Electronics Service Center in Rockville has been treating me right lately.
 
Don't really have an after work hangout, when we're sociable we usually just all go out for lunch somewhere as there are a surprising number of decent restaurants in the Beltsville/Laurel area. I've no idea where the tech is but the guy I met I believe is trying to start a small business buying/flipping busted tube gear. I gave him a good deal on an old Fisher X-101-B and he decided that not only was he going to get the tuner tweaked on my Pilot but he also thought I might like a pair of Advent /3s he had no plans for. Little did he know that I already found a pair of them at Value Village for (mumble) that I was using for bench speakers so now I'm thinking I should try to get the pair back that I sold last year and replace all the mismatched speakers that are making up the HT system :) I also saw the Fisher after he'd got it working and those guys slammed that thing back into shape fast, so I feel better about selling it now.

Anyway, let us know how things work out with your Fisher.

As an aside, for solid state stuff that I can't fix myself, Jimmy at Electronics Service Center in Rockville has been treating me right lately.

I'll update in about a month, or so when I get it back. And thanks for the SS tech referral, its needed too.
 
Back
Top Bottom