• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fixed a Dual CS 622 - It was the Storm Pimple

arcorob

Addicted Member
Okay Okay, I know its called a Steuerpimple but my title was so much more fun.

Picked up a Dual CS 622 which is getting lovingly restored. It had seen better days I tell you but once operating, awesome. 10 years ago, turntables were my thing as many of you recall (or might not). Lately its been restore receivers but I needed a change of pace.

But for anyone who has a Dual like this where the auto functions dont seem to work, try this video and the storm pimple (lol) ...mine was gone, disintegrated like it got hit by an atom smasher. It is also helpful for those who have never delved in here

 
Register to hide this ad
I have a handful of Duals of varying models stashed here & there. stripped, lubed & reassembled the 1009 but haven't put back in the plinth yet. ( cant find the headshell, took the steam out of the effort).As I can't access your yt vid currently, enlighten me on this "steuerpimpel", what the hell is it? Pic helpful, just sayin'... tnx!
 
I have a handful of Duals of varying models stashed here & there. stripped, lubed & reassembled the 1009 but haven't put back in the plinth yet. ( cant find the headshell, took the steam out of the effort).As I can't access your yt vid currently, enlighten me on this "steuerpimpel", what the hell is it? Pic helpful, just sayin'... tnx!
Hmm..how to describe. Its actually a VERY easy fix ..okay under the table, there are a bunch of arms , etc for automation. On my CS 622, there is a black plastic arm with a C clip in the middle - remove the C clip, lift the arm and you see (as in the picture below) where it goes. As i mentioned, mine was completly gone. The fix ? Simple. Strip a piece of 12 gauge wire and take the plastic coating you stripped off. Cut it to about the size of a matchhead. Slide it over the metal (as in the picture) , put the black arm back, done. Fixed (your model my be slightly different in the arm but a search shows pictures.

index.php
 
Considering I GAVE a buddy my old Dual 601, MINT as heck, with a failed stupidpimple or whatever, and he promptly destroyed it, I am now sick.

Such an easy fix.

DANGIT!!!
 
Considering I GAVE a buddy my old Dual 601, MINT as heck, with a failed stupidpimple or whatever, and he promptly destroyed it, I am now sick.

Such an easy fix.

DANGIT!!!
Oh man, sorry to hear that !!! It is an easy fix ..when I got it you hit start, it woould power on, raise and then cycle and shut off I fixed nothing else and when right to the pimple (and cleaned the 40 + year old grease from the bars underneath). Turned it right side up, hit start, it raised, moved left where it neaded to. Pushed the arm to the end of the record, it raised , returned. All for that stupid 1/8" of wire shielding. Sheesh.

The table itself needed other love. The weight in the counterweight that floats had come loose inside so fixed that. Then I mounted a new cart and that was a nightmare. Its not a standard headshell nor is it a Dual type headshell. Its all one non removable unit (see picture below). So it has a plate you mount the cart to with two screws but if you dont use a screw on one side with a totally flat head, it wont mount (no indent for it to fit in). And the screw it had ? Well, the nut would not hold. I have like 50 different screws and nuts for carts. number 48 finally worked...LOL

So my next step (and I will post pictures when I get there is to re-veneer and customize the case, clean it up and violat ...New Life. The motors on these direct drives are nothing short of amazing...

896088-116bb309-dual-622-direct-drive-turntable.jpg
 
Turntable guy is pretty good and he puts out a vid every week on Thursday. A lof of variety. I recall my first dual turntable....it was a lot to take in and process at the time.
 
I repaired both my 1219 and 1218 turntables with new "pimples"! What I've learned is that not all steuerpimpels are created equal! I went through a few different styles until I found the one that worked perfectly. I'll take a look at my 1219 tomorrow and see which one I installed. Both my Duals function perfectly. I repaired the 1218 myself, but sent off the 1219 for a complete refurb years ago. Bill, at FixMyDual, did an excellent job!
 
Along with an added counterweight, if yours didn't come with the optional 1/2" mount accessory (which someone on ebay sells via 3d printing), this is what'll look like if you ever choose to make it so.
325328535_1373961856676924_5413468696574482377_n.jpg
 
I've had good luck replacing the pimples with a slice of old coaxial cable. I just slice the conductor shielding to the pimple thickness, then drill it out to fit the pin it attaches to. Drill it out a little smaller than the pin then press into place.
 
I've never seen a stock, optional 1/2" mount, so I can't compare.

With the original halfinch-mount adaptor plate it would still look rather ugly, just not quite as - see for example there: https://www.dual-board.de/core/index.php?attachment/36883-dscf0300-jpg/

And there's a pic of the 2nd gen. proprietary ULM mount with the matching original halfinch-mount adaptor plate: https://www.dual-board.de/core/index.php?attachment/241476-tksk-jpg/ Also rather ugly.

Hence I'd typically rather suggest to consider a modified cartridge (body), like for example Dualfreds ULM1-OMx (see pic there: https://www.dualfred.de/images/product_images/popup_images/300324-ULM1-OMx.JPG).


(...) enlighten me on this "steuerpimpel", what the hell is it?

It's a little elastomer cap on a downward-facing pin on the swivellable segment of the tonearm below the chassis plate and basically serves as a clutch pad between the main lever and that segment. I.e., for automatic tone motion the main lever, the motion of which is controlled by the cam wheel, goes up on the tonearm side, thereby both lifting up the rod for the tonearm lift and thus lifting the lift pin (unless the rod has already been lifted via the manual lift lever) and contacting the aforementioned segment via the pin with the Steuerpimpel.


Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
With the original halfinch-mount adaptor plate it would still look rather ugly, just not quite as - see for example there: https://www.dual-board.de/core/index.php?attachment/36883-dscf0300-jpg/

And there's a pic of the 2nd gen. proprietary ULM mount with the matching original halfinch-mount adaptor plate: https://www.dual-board.de/core/index.php?attachment/241476-tksk-jpg/ Also rather ugly.

Hence I'd typically rather suggest to consider a modified cartridge (body), like for example Dualfreds ULM1-OMx (see pic there: https://www.dualfred.de/images/product_images/popup_images/300324-ULM1-OMx.JPG).




It's a little elastomer cap on a downward-facing pin on the swivellable segment of the tonearm below the chassis plate and basically serves as a clutch pad between the main lever and that segment. I.e., for automatic tone motion the main lever, the motion of which is controlled by the cam wheel, goes up on the tonearm side, thereby both lifting up the rod for the tonearm lift and thus lifting the lift pin (unless the rod has already been lifted via the manual lift lever) and contacting the aforementioned segment via the pin with the Steuerpimpel.


Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
My 3d printed adaptor is identical to the dual-board.de link you provided. I believe folks are calling it ugly due to the fat cart that's attached.
 
(...) My 3d printed adaptor is identical to the dual-board.de link you provided. (...)

Could you provide an additional pic from the other side, maybe? Because from your pic above, it would appear to me, that your adaptor plate would hang down a tiny bit towards the front and appear less flush with the headshell - and also, that it would deviate somewhat in colour and surface finish from the plastic of the headshell. But the difference in visual appearance certainly is anything but huge.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Could you provide an additional pic from the other side, maybe? Because from your pic above, it would appear to me, that your adaptor plate would hang down a tiny bit towards the front and appear less flush with the headshell - and also, that it would deviate somewhat in colour and surface finish from the plastic of the headshell. But the difference in visual appearance certainly is anything but huge.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Of course Lini! I must warn you my photog skills and lighting in my room kind of sucks. It is 3d printed, so texture is off though the seller did include a brass insert for the screw in to the stock headshell.
323070255_684144743194571_3273375451390782429_n.jpg 324655908_1951611918515411_8677217984843895812_n.jpg 324158408_6444009045630628_364488346299779063_n.jpg
 
I've had good luck replacing the pimples with a slice of old coaxial cable. I just slice the conductor shielding to the pimple thickness, then drill it out to fit the pin it attaches to. Drill it out a little smaller than the pin then press into place.
14 guage speaker wire works perfectly.
 
Of course Lini!

Oops, I actually meant the inner side, as shown on the pic of the original adaptor plate - should have been more specific, I guess... But thanks anyway: Looks better now. Seems like on your first pic (in #8 farther above) the linger lift lever hast cast a shadow, which made the 3d-printed replacement look a good bit worse in terms of fit.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
With the original halfinch-mount adaptor plate it would still look rather ugly, just not quite as - see for example there: https://www.dual-board.de/core/index.php?attachment/36883-dscf0300-jpg/

And there's a pic of the 2nd gen. proprietary ULM mount with the matching original halfinch-mount adaptor plate: https://www.dual-board.de/core/index.php?attachment/241476-tksk-jpg/ Also rather ugly.

Hence I'd typically rather suggest to consider a modified cartridge (body), like for example Dualfreds ULM1-OMx (see pic there: https://www.dualfred.de/images/product_images/popup_images/300324-ULM1-OMx.JPG).




It's a little elastomer cap on a downward-facing pin on the swivellable segment of the tonearm below the chassis plate and basically serves as a clutch pad between the main lever and that segment. I.e., for automatic tone motion the main lever, the motion of which is controlled by the cam wheel, goes up on the tonearm side, thereby both lifting up the rod for the tonearm lift and thus lifting the lift pin (unless the rod has already been lifted via the manual lift lever) and contacting the aforementioned segment via the pin with the Steuerpimpel.


Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Hello !!! Long time sir...glad to see you alive and well and sharing your knowledge !!!
 
I have a handful of Duals of varying models stashed here & there. stripped, lubed & reassembled the 1009 but haven't put back in the plinth yet. ( cant find the headshell, took the steam out of the effort).As I can't access your yt vid currently, enlighten me on this "steuerpimpel", what the hell is it? Pic helpful, just sayin'... tnx!
In fact the name "Pimpel" seems to be a sort of joke from Dual. "Pimpel" is one of the varieties of the designation for - a plunger. Others are in Germany "Pümpel" or "Pömpel". I can imagine when the thing had to be named they simply did not know which name they could use until someone said: "Hey that thing looks like a plunger!" (Heh, das Ding sieht aus wie ein Pimpel!"). And "Steuer" means "control".
 
Back
Top Bottom