• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fluance TT opinions

Hi happy new year all new to The Forum. Looking for any information on a new RT 85 TT any good or is there better out for the money looking for a semi-automatic turntable thanks for any information
 
Register to hide this ad
I bought an RT 85 (with acrylic platter) last year and am very happy with it. Strong and silent. It feels more solid than my beloved Thorens TD160. It comes with an Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge, and I eventually upgraded to a Hana moving coil cartridge -- and it sounds fantastic. I really like the switchable auto-stop feature that lets you tell the platter to stop when the tone arm reaches the inner groove.

Check out the many enthusiastic reviews online. Here's an excerpt from one in Forbes:

The Fluance RT85 is a very attractive looking turntable. My review unit’s combo of glossy black and the clear acrylic platter was very modern. It’s a little chunkier than some turntables that go for the super-thin plinth look, but the extra mass of the RT85 is there intentionally and it pays off where it counts: performance.

Put bluntly, this is a fantastic sounding turntable. [...]

When I hooked up the Fluance RT85 I was shocked at how improved the audio was. In particular, bass was more pronounced (without being exaggerated) and I immediately noticed a greatly improved soundstage with significantly more detail. So much more detail in fact, that I began an extensive project to re-listen to every album in my record collection to find out just what I’ve been missing. It didn’t matter the genre — classic rock, punk, new wave — it all just plain sounds noticeably better on this turntable. And this was before the cartridge had a chance to be broken in. A month later, and the sound is even better.

Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradmo...ormance-and-unbeatable-value/?sh=7719567d337c
 
Thanks Jeeem for responding I will keep doing more research but I am leaning towards the RT 85 although I am impressed with your post because the cartridge itself is like what $230 or $240 so that makes the turntable a pretty inexpensive turntable that sounds pretty good go figure right marketing who can figure that out sometimes
 
I picked up the Fluance mid level RT-82 turntable off of Craigslist last year and paired it with a Shure M97Xe cartridge. Very good entry level turntable IMO that looks great! Another similar entry level turntable to the RT-85 is the Audio Technica LP-120xusb which I also own which is cheaper than the Fluance but does not have as nice a cartridge as the Ortofon Blue.
 
I picked up an RT82 for my daughter and had it in my system for almost a month, my modded/rebuilt AR XA did not embarrass it.

Edit: I should add with the same cartridges.
 
Last edited:
Hey Jeeem when you did the review on the RT 85 you didn't mention how it automatically stops or at least if you did I'm sorry I missed it so at the end of the record does the tonearm lift or does the whole system just stop and the tonearm stays on the record thanks
 
Hey Jeeem when you did the review on the RT 85 you didn't mention how it automatically stops or at least if you did I'm sorry I missed it so at the end of the record does the tonearm lift or does the whole system just stop and the tonearm stays on the record thanks

Auto return on the RT82. Without looking I would think they all are.
 
Back
Top Bottom