• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fluke Multimeter Decision- New or Used?

I have 4 x 8020 or 8020A, the original workhorse 3 1/2 digit portable DMM. Other than 2 of them having LCD's that darkened and the housings got all roughed up, they work fine.

I heard once that they offered a kit to replace the old LCD's. Although not likely cost effective vs picking up another used one off Ebay, anyone done that before?

Will have to check out the calibration options though.
 
I have 4 x 8020 or 8020A, the original workhorse 3 1/2 digit portable DMM. Other than 2 of them having LCD's that darkened and the housings got all roughed up, they work fine.

I heard once that they offered a kit to replace the old LCD's. Although not likely cost effective vs picking up another used one off Ebay, anyone done that before?

Will have to check out the calibration options though.

Here's a little job for yah: Fluke 8050A LCD display replaced with LED seven-segment
 
I have worked in my company's Instrument Services section as a repair tech for 20 years.
We do a lot of fluke meters,repairs and calibrations.My take on some fluke meters.
87---excellent,some problems with missing digits,fixed by cleaning lcd contact points.Calibration checks after 5 years dc always in spec.Ac has some dift temp and humidity affect it but in a shop should be ok.Uses 2 variable caps and one teflon variable,usually cal. is very close.Fluke 27,solid, only problem i see once in a blue moon is display locked up,again due to dirty lcd contacts.I checked a 15 year old unit and it was still in spec.This meter had been used outdoors etc.Fluke 8060A---pushbutton switches require cleaning occasionally.This is a dead accurate meter,great for high frequency work--only 2 amps max,only drawback.It would be my choice for lab type accuracy both dc and ac low and hf.Other flukes 73,77,179 etc. good for everyday use. 8050 another good meter kind of in the same vein as the 8060a,however I prefer the 8060A.This is my choice above all. Hope this helps.
 
I have worked in my company's Instrument Services section as a repair tech for 20 years.
We do a lot of fluke meters,repairs and calibrations.My take on some fluke meters.
87---excellent,some problems with missing digits,fixed by cleaning lcd contact points.Calibration checks after 5 years dc always in spec.Ac has some dift temp and humidity affect it but in a shop should be ok.Uses 2 variable caps and one teflon variable,usually cal. is very close.Fluke 27,solid, only problem i see once in a blue moon is display locked up,again due to dirty lcd contacts.I checked a 15 year old unit and it was still in spec.This meter had been used outdoors etc.Fluke 8060A---pushbutton switches require cleaning occasionally.This is a dead accurate meter,great for high frequency work--only 2 amps max,only drawback.It would be my choice for lab type accuracy both dc and ac low and hf.Other flukes 73,77,179 etc. good for everyday use. 8050 another good meter kind of in the same vein as the 8060a,however I prefer the 8060A.This is my choice above all. Hope this helps.

Great info and Welcome to AK! Appreciate your sharing of your service experience with Fluke gear. Just as a quick question, what about the earlier low end units like the 8020 series for handheld DMM's? And any way to get an LCD repaired/replaced or do I have to think about an LED conversion as mentioned above.

Hope you'll continue to provide additional posts and information, thanks! :thmbsp:
 
Thanks for the welcome!The 8020 is a classic fluke,we don't see many of them but those we do are still working. What are your meters symptoms?Is your LCD cracked? If so this conversion may be the way to go.I think I have a service manual if you need some info.
 
Thanks for the welcome!The 8020 is a classic fluke,we don't see many of them but those we do are still working. What are your meters symptoms?Is your LCD cracked? If so this conversion may be the way to go.I think I have a service manual if you need some info.

You're welcome! The 8020, like many LCD displays, just starts to darken to where the digits are not practically visible against the dark background (same thing in my 97 Lexus ES300 although it looks almost ok when very cold). Never put my DMM in a fridge to test that theory.

What I was told by Fluke back in 2000 or so was that they had at that time replacement LCD's for something like $25 back then. Haven't checked with them since so who knows at this point. But the LED idea is intriguing for a fix if I want to restore mine.

Any decent way to do a good calibration without the DMM calibrators?
 
Thanks for all the input on this topic. After putting in a few bids on a few meters on eBay, I decided to go with the new 117. I'm sure it will be a while before I outgrow it, and I like the fact that I get a warranty (if only 3 years), and that I know it's calibrated. Apparently calibration in Canada costs just shy of $100- something I'd have to consider with a used meter. Happy new year!
 
The fluke 117 is sitting on my kitchen table ready for battle. Its a great compact meter at a reasonable cost. Good choice!!
 
Back
Top Bottom