• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

For all you restorers out there....

Register to hide this ad
Really?

For someone that wanted to repair a damaged receiver and wants the original parts (yes, not everyone in the world thinks recapping is a must when the original parts still work ok!), this is probably a decent score. Those big filter caps in particular are probably still very usable. The guy does say the unit worked before these were removed...

John
 
Really?

For someone that wanted to repair a damaged receiver and wants the original parts (yes, not everyone in the world thinks recapping is a must when the original parts still work ok!), this is probably a decent score. Those big filter caps in particular are probably still very usable. The guy does say the unit worked before these were removed...

I in no way think recapping is a must, but if you're going to do it...... why use the cast offs from somebody else that could fail shortly after installed. Even more, pay ebay rates to get them?:screwy:
 
If this actually sells I will be kicking myself for throwing away thousands of old caps from the last 4 years of restorations.
 
Im kind of local to that person,they sell alot of vintage hi-fi stuff, so its no surprise. But if you were looking for original caps....
 
Considering the cost of new caps of that size, and the fact that there's a good chance these are just fine, it doesn't seem so bad. I'd certainly spend the extra for new caps, but that's just me.
 
Ok, let's look at this differently, ignoring the small throwaway caps.

1) How many pieces of vintage audio gear do YOU have with original power supply filter caps that you use all the time, and that work just fine?

2) Would you rather see these installed in someone's receiver, or thrown in a landfill?

3) Have you, or have you not seen the expert restorers on this forum retain the large power supply filter caps on numerous occasions when they posted about restorations?

4) Is there a gun pointed at your heads forcing you to buy these (likely perfectly good) original caps?

Then what's the problem? Don't like, don't bid... and no, they're not mine.

Sheesh... so much commotion over a little bit of perfectly sane recycling!

John
 
Didn't mean to start any fires here, I simply got a kick out of this guy trying to sell wore out caps. And a close look at the filter caps will tell you they have vented. They will likely spew gutts over whatever you may re-cycle them in.
 
Last edited:
Ok, let's look at this differently, ignoring the small throwaway caps.

I went back and looked at the auction again........ given that there a 4 large power supply caps, I guess I could see someone taking a gamble....... I haven't priced large power supply capacitors. Still, I think $20 plus shipping is a lot for a questionable end. Especially since the seller thought poorly enough of them to remove them.

As far as turning this into a recycling thread....... I'd throw them away all day long and not think twice about it. I'm all for recycling, and re-using, but I'm not going to sell an item that is marginal when it can't be fixed. You can fix an amp, by replacing capacitors, but you can't fix a capacitor. It would be different if a guy was going to keep them to use in one of his own projects.
 
Last edited:
The small caps are junk, but new 22000uF 80V caps are $20-30 a piece from digikey. I could see someone thinking it's worth the risk to save $60+.
 
Ok, let's look at this differently, ignoring the small throwaway caps.

1) How many pieces of vintage audio gear do YOU have with original power supply filter caps that you use all the time, and that work just fine?
John

A Yamaha CR-2020, A Yamaha CR-2040, A Yamaha CR-1000, A Yamaha CR-800 and two Yamaha CR3020s.:music:
 
I'd agree with that, but where are you seeing signs of venting on these?

John

Didn't mean to start any fires here, I simply got a kick out of this guy trying to sell wore out caps. And a close look at the filter caps will tell you they have vented. They will likely spew gutts over whatever you may re-cycle them in.
 
I've worked on quite a few of these. See the nipples sticking out between the screw terminals? My 1250 has all original filter caps and they are perfectly flat.
 
Back
Top Bottom