• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

For the Love of Lab 80

How about cartridges? I'm using a Shure M44-7, but I have a M91ED that's got me wondering how it might work.
I use a M44-7, it has the right suspension for the Lab 80 arm. M91ED is better suited in a more modern arm.

No matter which cartridge you use, the tonearm bearings should be overhauled.
 
I use a M44-7, it has the right suspension for the Lab 80 arm. M91ED is better suited in a more modern arm.

No matter which cartridge you use, the tonearm bearings should be overhauled.
I gotta admit, I'm pretty happy with the 44-7. To perhaps coin a phrase, it does seem "technology appropriate." Could you direct me to some instructions on the tonearm bearings? Thanks
 
if you understand that the bearings need to allow the tonearm to move freely vertically and horizontally without any binding or "slop", then you should be able to rebuild them

1) remove all bearings
2) keep track of them
3) clean bearings and races with alcohol
4) reassemble with light oil
5) adjust for no slop and no binding
6) test

to test

1) install cartridge (remove stylus so as not to damage it)
2) balance tonearm so it floats horizontally and level
3) give it a slight nudge up or down, tonearm should sea-saw several times before coming to rest in the horizontal (level) position
4) with tonearm level and at the outer rim of the platter, give it a very gentle nudge towards the spindle, it should float across the platter
 
i would suggest not messing with that arm unless you really have reason to. It also did not have any oil from the factory so far as I can tell, based on the two unintentional disassemblies of the horizontal bearing that I've performed.

The bearing balls in there are really really small, easily lost, and very difficult to get back in place.
 
i would suggest not messing with that arm unless you really have reason to. It also did not have any oil from the factory so far as I can tell, based on the two unintentional disassemblies of the horizontal bearing that I've performed.

The bearing balls in there are really really small, easily lost, and very difficult to get back in place.
I found changing the spindle bearing a bit of a challenge until I got some good advice from a member of this forum. Dropping those small ball bearings onto a desktop or floor is always a hazard.
 
Last edited:
The tonearm bearing are probably the most important aspect of the turntables performance. If they are stiff and do not allow the tonearm to move effortlessly, your records will not sound as good and your stylus suspension will be stressed.
 
here's a Rek-O-Kut tonearm I overhauled. I had used white lithium for the vertical bearings which was a rookie mistake. At the time, I thought it was a good idea because it held the tiny bearings in place but the vertical movement of the tonearm was hampered.

 
I have been running my Lab 80 without springs due to having a bouncy floor and a light tracking stylus.Take one step and the stylus really starts bouncing around when using the springs. The trade-off when not using springs is a tiny amount of motor vibration remaining in the motor board, which can be barely heard, but only between tracks and in quiet passages. I believe the springs help to dissipate motor vibrations. Solution was using Herbies silicon (?) rubber feet under each corner of the plinth. Idler had a crack in it, so I resorted to using a 2mm square belt glued on. Sanded the edge smooth with the idler running against the motor pulley. Also sanded a slight "D" shape to the idler (square belt) face. Nylon washer under the idler was quieter than a fiber washer. 11 ball spindle bearing with plain wheel bearing grease. Using a p-mount adapter because the plastic mounting ears can be elongated allowing for precise alignment and I have plenty of p-mount carts/styli not in use. I am open to any recommendations to get this nice table quieter. Use headphones if you can.
 
Last edited:
Check with AK user @tothmes . I believe he makes replacement motor mounts from silicone for the Lab80 nowadays.
These will make a big difference in controlling motor rumble reaching the stylus.
When I removed the motor to service the bearings I noticed the upper mounts were a slight bit longer than the lower. This, I figured, was due the the upper mounts being pulled or stetched and the lowers being squashed, so I swapped them. Could be wrong about this, but they seem fine.
 
The original mounts on my Garrard z100 looked and felt fine but the deck had a rumble with them. It disappeared after switching to silicone.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jqp
Back
Top Bottom