• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fortes's in my future ???

That's a fantastic deal and a fantastic set of speakers. Good for you. Play with the positioning when placed well they will shock you at how well balance a speaker they are. Get them up on a couple of one gallon paint cans for temp. stands will get the horns closer to ear level and help the sound. Enjoy. Best regards Moray James.
 
Love my FII's

You have a nice upgrade path, Ti Mids, Tweets, Bob Crites x-over with bandpass mod for the Ti Mid. The mods have completely transformed this speaker, its liquid smooth from top to bottom, and sounds absolutely EPIC with my SVS PB12Plus/2 sub for subsonic goodness :)
 
Have only played Pink Floyd's WYWH and Airbag All Rights Removed and some Robin Trower . Seems to be a very accurate speaker and uncolored . Thanks MJ , that was the first thing I did was get them on small stands to get them to ear level . I like the sound right now the way they are . It does make me wonder about my old KG4's though . I guess it would be asking a lot to compare them to the FII's .


I'm thrilled . I will have to thank Mrs. Zebra03 for spotting them on Facebook in the for sale section . They weren't even listed as Klipsch but she recognized the Klipsch logo in the picture . The guy had bought them recently with the other equipment for double what I paid but they were too big for his room . He was just looking to get rid of them to make room for a new boombox with sub to take their place . WOW !
 
Last edited:
Fantastic score! You could certainly go the upgrade route but that, naturally, can cost you big bucks depending on how far you want to go. The last pair of FII's I had sounded great box stock. However, I do recommend an eventual replacement of the tweeter diaphragms with Bob Crites titanium phragms'. As I recall, Klipsch went to a polymer/plastic dome in the FII tweeters which was not their best effort IMHO. The only Klipsch speaker that replaced them was a pair of Cornwall I's that I also "stole" off of CL. Just my $.02.

Again, great score!:thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
And no, you dont have to immediately start ripping out drivers and remodeling the effin crossover. They usually sound great just the way they are.....:D

This is in my not-so-distant future, but my Fortes have responded to every upgrade I've placed before them, including my latest acquisition, a schiit bifrost DAC that took my system to an entirely different level. Go get the Fortes (Quartets, any Klipsch of that era) and don't look back. They are simply amazing for their age, and punch way above their weight.:music:
 
As far as I know...

Fantastic score! You could certainly go the upgrade route but that, naturally, can cost you big bucks depending on how far you want to go. The last pair of FII's I had sounded great box stock. However, I do recommend an eventual replacement of the tweeter diaphragms with Bob Crites titanium phragms'. As I recall, Klipsch went to a polymer/plastic dome in the FII tweeters which were not their best effort IMHO. The only Klipsch speaker that replaced them was a pair of Cornwall I's that I also "stole" off of CL. Just my $.02.

Again, great score!:thmbsp:

The Forte and the Forte ll were both fitted stock with all Phenolic diaphragms. The KLF have poly tweeter diaphragm and you are right they sound very poor compared to Phenolic diaphragms and pathetic compared to Titaniun diaphragms. They (poly diaphragms) should be the first things to go if you have them. The jump to Titanium diaphragms take any of these speakers to a whole other level that cannot be appreciated without actually experiencing it.
Ti mid range drivers make much more of an improvement than do the tweeter diaphragms though the should both be upgraded. Mid range performance along with the bass make the speaker sound the way it does. The tweeter in the Forte ll is the K79 which is a vastly better tweeter than the K77 found in a Cornwall. What you probably liked better about the Cornwall was not the tweeter but the mid range horn and the sound of a fifteen inch woofer. People will have different preferences for different size woofers and I tend toward ten inch woofers. That said good ones of any size work for me just as well but the different sizes do have different qualities. Best regards Moray James.
 
I run aHarman Kardon 430 twin with my Fortes'and I am amazed.
Good luck and either way your getting one hellava deal.
 
You can tell the difference between them and the 5.5's that is for sure . The 5.5's bass can be quite awe inspiring but the speaker is no less detailed . Forte II's are , I don't know , just accurate . This is my first 3-way designed speaker by the way . Listening to Dark Side of the Moon right now . :music:


Thanks goes out to Audiokarma ( and the great members as well ) . I kept hearing everybody talk about the Forte's and when the chance came about , I jumped . Like I said , I am thrilled . :banana::banana::music:
 
I run aHarman Kardon 430 twin with my Fortes'and I am amazed.
Good luck and either way your getting one hellava deal.

Thanks ! Besides the smokey smell , there is one small piece of veneer ( 1.5 x .25 inch ) missing . Other than that , they are perfect . I have got to get Mrs. Zebra to take some pictures .
 
Last edited:
Congrats! I love my Forte I's. Klipsch in general seem to be a speaker that some folks love to hate for some reason but I'm glad that I listened to my ears instead of their detractors. They are the easiest to drive, most dynamic and funnest to listen to speaker that I have owned. At the prices they can be found for on the used market, they are a tremendous value. I picked mine up for $200 and flipped some smaller Realistic speakers to pay for a recap and Ti diaphragms which came to about $80. I'm happy with the end result. It's the best $200 that I have spent in Audio. They are very revealing of upstream issues but with good source material and complimentary components, they are an excellent speaker.

Enjoy your Fortes! Welcome to the club. ;)
 
Last edited:
That's a fantastic deal and a fantastic set of speakers. Good for you. Play with the positioning when placed well they will shock you at how well balance a speaker they are. Get them up on a couple of one gallon paint cans for temp. stands will get the horns closer to ear level and help the sound. Enjoy. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.klipsch.com/forte-ii-floorstanding-speaker

Not to disagree with you on the tweeter MJ but, check the specs.
 
Congrats! I love my Forte I's. Klipsch in general seem to be a speaker that some folks love to hate for some reason but I'm glad that I listened to my ears instead of their detractors. They are the easiest to drive, most dynamic and funnest to listen to speaker that I have owned. At the prices they can be found for on the used market, they are a tremendous value. I picked mine up for $200 and flipped some smaller Realistic speakers to pay for a recap and Ti diaphragms which came to about $80. I'm happy with the end result. It's the best $200 that I have spent in Audio. They are very revealing of upstream issues but with good source material and complimentary components, they are an excellent speaker.

Enjoy your Fortes! Welcome to the club. ;)

Thanks , been a member since 1988 when I bought my KG4's . And my 5.5's in 1995? . But it is a great club to be in , that's for sure !
 
Re; the tweeter spec.

I've heard the spec is wrong on that page but I've never owned the II's so I can't say.
 
Re; the tweeter spec.

I've heard the spec is wrong on that page but I've never owned the II's so I can't say.

You could be correct sir. It just seems to me when I pulled the tweeters out of the FII to clean the gaps, they had polymer diaphragms.:scratch2: I know Klipsch at times did make changes to various models as the run progressed without notification. Early Forte I's had round terminal cups with the caps glued to the inside. Later runs had squareish cups with circuit boards. They also "changed" the listed nominal impedence from 4 to 8 ohms.:dunno:
 
Check with Klipsch Support....

http://www.klipsch.com/forte-ii-floorstanding-speaker

Not to disagree with you on the tweeter MJ but, check the specs.

Open a few of the Forte tweeter drivers up one or two series and you will find Phenolic diaphragms in there. I have not seen anything but Phenolic in the ones I have opened and every one I have asked has only ever found Phenolic.
I called Steve Philips at Klipsch Support who is the now resident Heritage expert and he will tell you they all shipped out of the Factory with Phenolic regardless of what the data sheet says (KG's too).
That aside it is possible that someone swapped out a set of Phenolic for a cheesy set of Poly diaphragms at some time. The point is that the Poly are a very poor diaphragm no matter what they are in so replace them. If you are going to go to the trouble you may as well replace with Titanium diaphragms. They are very reasonable and they will show you why you should replace your mid diaphragms with Titanium also. I have a letter from Steve somewhere but you can scoot him a post if you like to get it from the horses mouth. Hope this helps, best regards Moray James.
 
You could be correct sir. It just seems to me when I pulled the tweeters out of the FII to clean the gaps, they had polymer diaphragms.:scratch2: I know Klipsch at times did make changes to various models as the run progressed without notification. Early Forte I's had round terminal cups with the caps glued to the inside. Later runs had squareish cups with circuit boards. They also "changed" the listed nominal impedence from 4 to 8 ohms.:dunno:

You are right it is possible or the parts could have been owner changes after purchase. Forte one and Forte two have different impedance woofers and so the difference there. Hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.
 
picture.php

picture.php


picture.php


Pardon the cell phone camera pictures . Makes a really nice bedroom system . :music:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom