• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fosi Audio ZA3 - Initial Review

That is a bullshit propaganda response from the program. Until you can formulate and express your own thoughts and information, I’m done here.
 
That is a bullshit propaganda response from the program. Until you can formulate and express your own thoughts and information, I’m done here.
I have formulated and expressed my own thoughts here. I quoted the enquiry and response to provide information on how xAI says it handles this situation. It does have programming that it thinks prevents infringement to some degree. I am not vouching for the veracity of its reply, just that it says this is being considered when it formulates a response to an enquiry.
 
I have formulated and expressed my own thoughts here. I quoted the enquiry and response to provide information on how xAI says it handles this situation. It does have programming that it thinks prevents infringement to some degree. I am not vouching for the veracity of its reply, just that it says this is being considered when it formulates a response to an enquiry.
This is why is humanity is flushing itself down a toilet. You are merely spreading information, right or wrong, while admitting not vouching for its veracity. This is worse than believing everything you read on the internet.
 
This is why is humanity is flushing itself down a toilet. You are merely spreading information, right or wrong, while admitting not vouching for its veracity. This is worse than believing everything you read on the internet.
None of us know what the outcome will be with AI but, as a collective, the majority of people tend to think the worst case scenario is what will play out with any disruptive new technology. The past technological advances tells us that we will land somewhere in the middle. At this point we can only speculate as to how things will play out. I find it encouraging that so many people are engaged regarding AI whether they have a positive or negative opinion. We need input from both side to be able to find a happy medium as AI advances and becomes part of the toolkit that humans use to advance. IMO, AI is just another computer except it has a very sophisticated operating system. One thing that is fact, AI is here to stay and will become just as critical to us in the future as computers are now. Maybe even far more critical.
 
Generative AI at its best is simply plagiarism software. More typically, it’s like asking your dad an obscure & technical question when you’re 10: it just makes **** up. Since it basically scrapes the internet for information, it has little in the way of differentiating technically correct information from published research, and some guy on a forum who’s speculating for the hell of it. It’s a crutch that makes people dumber, as it spoon feeds them questionably credible data, rather than individuals doing proper research, getting their info from established and verified sources. As far as sources go, I would rate it below Wikipedia, “______ For Dummies” pamphlets, Joe Rogan, random YouTube videos and Cliff’s Notes.

I read the entire post. It doesn't take much applied logic to conclude it's exactly that - high quality scraping of all existing references. The high quality referring to its ability to stretch out and get the data. High quantity might be a better term. And yes - it's in essence a large group of people saying anything including nonsense distilled into a linguistically impressive end product.

And you're exactly right with the 'asking dad as a 10 year old' analogy. Hilarious and so true.
 
Anybody know what the stock opamps are? LME47920?
Is it the same as in the Fosi ZD-3?
Anyone change all 9 (a mere 6 without subwoofers) opamps need for dual mono?
 
Anybody know what the stock opamps are? LME47920?
Is it the same as in the Fosi ZD-3?
Anyone change all 9 (a mere 6 without subwoofers) opamps need for dual mono?
The ZA3 uses NE5532 op-amps. When used in mono mode only the right channel of the input(s) being used need replaced. I wouldn't waste money on replacing op-amps for the subwoofer output since it is only for a very narrow frequency band with little effect on imaging, soundstage, etc. If only one input is being used, then just one op-amp is needed per unit. Also, there are noticeable improvements in sound quality when all but the required op-amps are removed with the ZA3 and likely the same with the V3 Mono amps.
 
Anybody know what the stock opamps are? LME47920?
Is it the same as in the Fosi ZD-3?
Anyone change all 9 (a mere 6 without subwoofers) opamps need for dual mono?
for Dual Mono operation, you only need to change one op amp, although you could change both the primary right channel and right differential op amps if you were curious. I would recommend removing the left and sub op amps if you're using them in dual mono mode.
 
It looks like I'll need 2 LME47820's to match the ZD-3.
Excellent.
That make it so much easier. I already have a collection of opamps for my cd player, including a LME47820.
 
Last edited:
A few months ago I took the plunge into Fosi Audio. Two ZA3's, one V3, two P3's, two ZD3's, several different power supplies and even tried out an Aiyima A07 max. I dig the Fosi stuff. The Aiyima....not so much.

Had a blast rolling opamps and experimenting with dual-mono. Ultimately I settled on the original opamps and running one ZA3 in stereo.

As far as power supplies go, when using the P3 preamp I experimented with a 36v 5a power supply, a 48v 5a power supply and a 48v 10a power supply. The 36v power supply was pretty much worthless, the 48v 10a just didn't jive but the 48v 5a was just right and I really liked it.

It wasn't until I used a tube preamp in combination with the 48v 10a power supply that the overall sound quality was boosted to another level and once again I was shocked at how good the ZA3 could sound in my system. This tiny little amp has all the headroom my other big amps have at low-moderate levels (well, almost). Of course I have very efficient horn loaded speakers and subs but I'm continuously amazed at the big sound I get from this little guy.
 
A few months ago I took the plunge into Fosi Audio. Two ZA3's, one V3, two P3's, two ZD3's, several different power supplies and even tried out an Aiyima A07 max. I dig the Fosi stuff. The Aiyima....not so much.

Had a blast rolling opamps and experimenting with dual-mono. Ultimately I settled on the original opamps and running one ZA3 in stereo.

As far as power supplies go, when using the P3 preamp I experimented with a 36v 5a power supply, a 48v 5a power supply and a 48v 10a power supply. The 36v power supply was pretty much worthless, the 48v 10a just didn't jive but the 48v 5a was just right and I really liked it.

It wasn't until I used a tube preamp in combination with the 48v 10a power supply that the overall sound quality was boosted to another level and once again I was shocked at how good the ZA3 could sound in my system. This tiny little amp has all the headroom my other big amps have at low-moderate levels (well, almost). Of course I have very efficient horn loaded speakers and subs but I'm continuously amazed at the big sound I get from this little guy.
It's been almost two years for me since I started playing with the Fosi amps. I've settled on a tube preamp driving two V3 mono's

powering my Magneplanar 1.7's, a ZA3 in mono powering a passive HSU subwoofer and a v3 stereo powering my bedroom Advents or MMG's driven by a small tube preamp.
 
Last edited:
It's been almost two years for me since I started playing with the Fosi amps. I've settled on a tube preamp driving two V3 mono's


powering my Magneplanar 1.7's, a ZA3 in mono powering a passive HSU subwoofer and a v3 stereo powering my bedroom Advents or MMG's driven by a small tube preamp.
Please do tell! I just switched out a tube buffer pre-amp to the Bellari PA550 and love that combo!
 
Please do tell! I just switched out a tube buffer pre-amp to the Bellari PA550 and love that combo!
It is really interesting what a preamp brings to the table sound wise. The Fosi's by themselves are very clean and powerful but somewhat "bland" soundings perhaps because they generate so little distortion. The preamps (tube in particular) obviously generate far more distortion but - my theory- the type of distortion generated is for some reason pleasant to the ear of many people. Is it more accurate - probably not - but at this stage I listen to music because it pleases me and elicits a wonderful emotional response. No quarrel at all with folks that look for the utmost detail and accuracy in their systems. Your circus, your monkeys.
 
I'm really liking the balanced passive Little Bear pre I've been using with my Fosi V3's. No electrical noise from the pre as it's passive and I really like the option of being able to use the entire volume pot. I had thought about using a powered pre with tone controls if the passive didn't work to add a bit more low end but I find I don't need it on my IMF super compacts

All these years of bringing home every vintage piece under the sun and the diminutive little 240 wpc Fosi-Little Bear rig for less than 2 bills handily beats them all. Fosi really put the fun back in audio for me without breaking the bank.

The mini flexi I made for mine are 8/32 uprights and shelves are spare crossover plates from my mains. The tiny flexi is quite stable and all it cost was a little time and imagination.
20250427_150800.jpg
 
It is really interesting what a preamp brings to the table sound wise. The Fosi's by themselves are very clean and powerful but somewhat "bland" soundings perhaps because they generate so little distortion. The preamps (tube in particular) obviously generate far more distortion but - my theory- the type of distortion generated is for some reason pleasant to the ear of many people. Is it more accurate - probably not - but at this stage I listen to music because it pleases me and elicits a wonderful emotional response. No quarrel at all with folks that look for the utmost detail and accuracy in their systems. Your circus, your monkeys.
I agree. I've never been able to go without a preamp. Solid state or tube, when I get that synergy and added flavor it far outweighs the minimalist aspect for me. It's all fun in my book.
 
I'm really liking the balanced passive Little Bear pre I've been using with my Fosi V3's. No electrical noise from the pre as it's passive and I really like the option of being able to use the entire volume pot. I had thought about using a powered pre with tone controls if the passive didn't work to add a bit more low end but I find I don't need it on my IMF super compacts

All these years of bringing home every vintage piece under the sun and the diminutive little 240 wpc Fosi-Little Bear rig for less than 2 bills handily beats them all. Fosi really put the fun back in audio for me without breaking the bank.

The mini flexi I made for mine are 8/32 uprights and shelves are spare crossover plates from my mains. The tiny flexi is quite stable and all it cost was a little time and imagination.
View attachment 3492470
Audio has come a long way! A set up like this 20 years ago that sounds this good at this price…. Not happening. I was listening to music yesterday for about two hours and thought to myself, “Why would I ever think about spending more money?” Also… with that Bellari preamp, I love having tone controls.
 
Back
Top Bottom