• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Free Console and speakers on CL

Register to hide this ad
I believe those are the optional Magnavox accessory extension speakers made for that console. IIRC they have wires with special plugs on the end which fit the extension speaker sockets in the back of the console unit. The drivers in them are probably the same as the drivers in the console cabinet (12" woof and a horn?). Awfully nice for free!
 
It truly pains me to see that this ad is still up and I haven't seen a Scroe! response to the thread.

Dave
 
I'm pretty sure it's a solid state model ...
I'm not so certain. This label usually proudly displayed Solid State when they made the transition. The TT's platter size, the size of the knobs and the (apparent) lack of the proud declaration of it being Solid State lead me to believe it to be tubed. Heck, either way I'd have been on their door-step the moment I saw the ad.

Dave
 

Attachments

  • 3kd3p73l75Q25U35X3b58d49c0eebde291743.jpg
    3kd3p73l75Q25U35X3b58d49c0eebde291743.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 23
That is most definitely a tube model, its a Magnificent Magnavox, probably an Imperial. It either has the 275 6v6 amp or the 9304 and for sure has horns.
 
That is most definitely a tube model, its a Magnificent Magnavox, probably an Imperial. It either has the 275 6v6 amp or the 9304 and for sure has horns.

That's along the lines I'm thinking. I just saw a mono Magnificent Magnavox with the same TT.


Steve
 
Hmmm, interesting. It looks identical to my 1964 Astro-Sonic (same tuner/preamp and changer) which did have a separate power amp section but it was all transistor. I remember it had a Timbre control that you had to pull out to turn the power on.

That label on my Astro-Sonic said nothing about being transistorized, don't think it said anything on the receiver dial either.
 
Hmmm, interesting. It looks identical to my 1964 Astro-Sonic (same tuner/preamp and changer) which did have a separate power amp section but it was all transistor. I remember it had a Timbre control that you had to pull out to turn the power on.

That label on my Astro-Sonic said nothing about being transistorized, don't think it said anything on the receiver dial either.

Sorry, but magnavox never used a tuner with the "magnificent magavox" written in gold lettering on the glass on an astrosonic. You can barely make it out in the photos.

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq335/gerryu21220/Sold Items/NormandyProvincial-Turntable.jpg the astro sonics did look sort of similar, but notice the location of the tuning meter , different but similar knobs, and smaller bezel as well as lack of "magnificent magnavox" on the glass.


Here's a catalogue page I found with this model. http://media.photobucket.com/image/...21220/Magnavox Catalog 1963/magcat09.jpg?o=17

it appears it's gonna have a 9304 in it with 6bq5's. :D
 
Last edited:
Interesting. I'll have to keep my eyes open more, I've never seen a tube Maggie with knobs like that.
 
Sorry, but magnavox never used a tuner with the "magnificent magavox" written in gold lettering on the glass on an astrosonic. You can barely make it out in the photos.

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq335/gerryu21220/Sold Items/NormandyProvincial-Turntable.jpg the astro sonics did look sort of similar, but notice the location of the tuning meter , different but similar knobs, and smaller bezel as well as lack of "magnificent magnavox" on the glass.

I stand corrected, speakerdude. That looks more like my old '64 Maggie alright! I miss the old girl - sure did rock the house but good back in the day :yes: IIRC mine might have had one more knob. I know it had a "Timbre" control that you pulled out to turn the radio on, and it seems like it might have had another knob on the pre-amp compared to the one in your pic but I can't quite remember. The speaker selector knob was under the other sliding door above the record storage compartment, and it had a big solid state power amp bolted to the bottom left hand side (looking from the front) that was separate from the tuner / preamp. The cabinet on mine looked identical to the op's craigslist picture.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom