• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Freezing my butt off!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stereorob

Super Member
Banned
well now u guys get to see what a wimp i am, lol, its 1:55 in the am and im down here in west palm beach, sitting at the computer in my un-heated 40 year old doublewide trailor and its so friggin cold i can see my breath. tonight the mercury is supposed to dip down to 26 degrees. its about 29 right now and this sucks!! my toes are numb, my nose is running, and i have about 60 old stereo receivers all turned on hoping to warm up the house a little bit, but its not working! the only warmth i have is my wife, who is sound asleep in bed and when i get in bed with frozen hands she is gunna yell at me not to touch her untill i warm up lol, my other scorce of heat is 10 tube-type receivers i have all set up out on my glassed in sun porch all around my easy chair, they have been on and running since about 6 pm this evening and the room is slightly warmer because of them. this SUCKS!! I HATE THE COLD!!! we are having a record breaking cold snap. it hasent been this cold in west palm since 1971!!!! all the cats are in the house and i brought in as many of my tropical plants as i could. the rest will die. ontop of the teeth chattering fridged hellish air there is a stiff nasty wind howling outside, we have had wind of 25 mph all day and gusts of 50!! THIS....IS....CRAP!!! :(:thumbsdn::no::thumbsdn:
 
Register to hide this ad
Don't you have a furnace? Could be worse, up here were I live it's 7 degrees with a wind chill of -1. Luckily, it was not as windy as last night.
 
Awww, poor Florida boy. I was born in Fla myself, but fortunately never inherited the thin blood of the locals. So cold doesn't bother me much.

Just look at it this way. Your power is still on because there is no ice on the lines causing them to crash to the ground. You can still get out of your trailer since there are no snow drifts blocking your door. You car will still start in the morning, and you won't have to dig it out first either. So overall i'd say you're doing pretty good. Just go dig into the closet for those long buried jackets and flannel bed sheets and you'll be fine. No go thaw your hands out above those tubes and hop into bed with the wifey.
 
Pick up a space heater and some long johns for temporary relief.
Do you have a central unit with maybe a heatercore insert option or window units ?
 
Your best short term fix, is just turn on the oven, & leave the door open. The oven door, NOT the door to the trailer. :D ;) I spent some time down there when I was in my early 20s, & saw it get pretty chilly a couple times around Christmas. Like '82 or '83 -ish.
 
29 would feel pretty good right about now. It's about 12, and checking the wind, it "feels like" -2. Supposedly it's warming up to 30 in couple days. Complelty miserable.

I kinda know what it's like, our house is usually pretty old. I was built in the 50's, and has perhaps too much airflow, as there are a lot of drafts around doors and windows. To top that off, our furnace is a old monster, and it heats adequetly, but I don't think it's as efficent as a modern equivilent (it's about the size of a closet, as far as I know, they are much smaller now). Surprised your place isn't heating up, though. I'd suggest just bundling up...
 
Downside: Pretty cold here too.
Upside: We've already had snow (which is rare) and a lot of Dutchmen also like outdoor ice skating, which is possible now.

You can dress for the cold, not for the heat.. as they say here!
 
Your best short term fix, is just turn on the oven, & leave the door open. The oven door, NOT the door to the trailer. :D ;) I spent some time down there when I was in my early 20s, & saw it get pretty chilly a couple times around Christmas. Like '82 or '83 -ish.

only if its electric oven. Gas oven - No, creates carbon dioxide which is not good for you. :no:

Agree with the rest - get some additional heat from selling your gear and getting some portable heaters - but be careful, all heaters could cause fires if up ended or flammable stuff gets close. Best also to seal all drafts and cover all windows with thick drapes. I used styrofoam sheets on big bay windows in a house I once owned in Grand Rapids, Michigan. That's when we had frost on our concrete walls! :tears:
 
Use some oil filled heaters. I would not use regular space heaters in a trailer, risk of fire combined with the rate a 40 year old doublewide will burn is not a good combo (but safer then running 40 receivers at one time!).
 
My brother lives in Fla. too and he is freezing his ass off. He does have some space heaters though. Weird how most houses down there don't have heat.
 
Welcome to normal weather.

My stereo, computer, and projector warm up my place juuuuust fine. :music:
 
Here in Carlsbad, the temp is supposed to reach 80 degrees today, but it was 27 when I got up - quite a ways to go...
 
I'm just wondering why there is no heat... Is there not a heater installed, or is it broken and you forgot winter was coming in time to get it fixed?

I don't get it though.. you can manage to find all that gear, but not stop to think you're going to need heat and do something to remedy the problem?

Sorry, if it's the case of not stopping to think about winter, I'm just not feeling the sympathy here... you got time to find and tweak and rewire all that gear, but no time to get SOMETHING to provide heat???
 
It does seem strange you don't have a source for heat. I suggest several layers of clothing and plan on how to correct the problem for the next time it gets cold.
 
I'm just wondering why there is no heat... Is there not a heater installed, or is it broken and you forgot winter was coming in time to get it fixed?

I don't get it though.. you can manage to find all that gear, but not stop to think you're going to need heat and do something to remedy the problem?

Sorry, if it's the case of not stopping to think about winter, I'm just not feeling the sympathy here... you got time to find and tweak and rewire all that gear, but no time to get SOMETHING to provide heat???

He should get some space heaters. But alot of homes in Fla. have no heating systems. My brother lives between Daytona and Cocoa and has lived in 3 different homes there and none had heating systems. His neighbors have no heat. It seems to me they go through this every year too. Always a run on heaters at Lowes.
 
Your best short term fix, is just turn on the oven, & leave the door open.

He has to be careful with that suggestion. Sometimes people are forced to use the oven for heat but its not safe to do for extended periods. All the oxygen in the place can be used up and replaced with carbon monoxide.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom