• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

From 0 to 3 Turntables!

vincei

aka MasterControlMedia
A few short months ago, I was out of the analog game, but being without a turntable for the first time in my life, I broke down and bought a new Pioneer PLX-1000 to fool around with.

Then a few weeks back I fell upon a NOS SL-1200MK2, so of course I had to have that! I ran a SL-1200MK2 for 20+ years and regretted selling it.

Then, shortly after that I set my sights on a Harman Kardon turntable to add to my HK system. I found a T60C and jumped on it. I got it today, cleaned it up and slapped on a cheap JVC MD1029 (AT10) cartridge for testing. I have to say it sounds great! I run it through a recapped HK825 preamp and the sound is very nice!

I still have to set it up properly and maybe polish the dust cover and of course get a new cartridge, but so far I like it! The floating suspension is cool. The arm seems nicely damped and behaves somewhat like my fluid damped arm on the PLX with KAB damper.

I wonder what one would have to spend to get something like this new?

Some quick shots:

Harman / Kardon T60C Turntable by mastercontrolmedia, on Flickr

Harman Kardon T60C Tonearm by mastercontrolmedia, on Flickr
 
Register to hide this ad
Wait until you try it with the quartz lock off, it gets even better, then there is the remote location of the power supply and other upgrades. Nice tables. I can't get mine back from Bryan. He borrowed it 5 or so years ago with a brand new M97 on it. Not that I need it but...

And if you want to go there, a nice veneer on the top, front and sides sure make them look nice and wouldn't be hard. There is a project about that here on ak and that table looks great.
 
Do you think a Denon DL-301II cartridge would be a good match for the HK? I want to try a MC. I will put on my 150MLX for now and see how that does.
IMG_2317.jpg
 
Cool, I used to have one of those TT:s, it's a very light arm it would be best with a high compliance cartridge. MC is not what springs to mind, rather a Ortofon OM40 or similar.
 
Cool, I used to have one of those TT:s, it's a very light arm it would be best with a high compliance cartridge. MC is not what springs to mind, rather a Ortofon OM40 or similar.

That's what I was thinking, maybe an MC is not the best match, according to the manual, the arm is very low mass at 8g.
 
As for how much you would have to spend to get something new if it was made like the 1200Mk2 or HK T60C be prepared to spend at a minimum of $1,000 and it could go closer to $2,000. IMO the PLX-1000 isn't in the same class as either of your two vintage tables.
 
That's what I was thinking, maybe an MC is not the best match, according to the manual, the arm is very low mass at 8g.
The DL-304 is high compliance, but in my experience with Denon cartridges in general, the compliance rating is usually well under what it is in actual use, so the 301/II will probably work just as well.

Nice looking deck, btw....looks mint!
 
I love my HK60, such a great sounding table. I'm jealous of how clean yours looks, not that mine is too bad. I still need a dust cover for it. Grado's work very well with the tonearm, if you like Grados. I just moved to the 8MZ stylus and am more in love with it than ever.

Let me know how a Denon sounds if you try one out. Never heard one, but always wanted to. The compliance on them always kinda confused me, so I just didn't bother.
 
Thanks for all the feedback. Can't wait to get home from work to listen to it again!
On another note the mat is slightly cracked in the center. It does not affect anything but if I were to swap it, what should I get?
 
Thanks for all the feedback. Can't wait to get home from work to listen to it again!
On another note the mat is slightly cracked in the center. It does not affect anything but if I were to swap it, what should I get?

My local audio show cracked mine last time I had it in for a speed issue. They gave me a technics rubber mat, which I've been using and have not noticed any difference. I'm thinking about a Herbie's mat, but the $75 price tag is off putting.
 
That's what I was thinking, maybe an MC is not the best match, according to the manual, the arm is very low mass at 8g.

From about the same time period Audio Technica had made at least two lomc cartridges for the high compliance arms.

They were matched to Sansui , Yamaha and other turn tables with light weight arms. :)

AT 3100E

AT 30E
 
My local audio show cracked mine last time I had it in for a speed issue. They gave me a technics rubber mat, which I've been using and have not noticed any difference. I'm thinking about a Herbie's mat, but the $75 price tag is off putting.
I spent the money for a couple of Herbie's mats (one for my Technics SP-15 and another for the Rek-O-Kut B-12H) and have no regrets at all. They just sound "right". When I get the restoration done on the Thorens TD-125 I'll pick up another. Worth the money as far as my ears are concerned.
 
So I just mounted my AT 150MLX to the T60C and I just barely made it to balance the arm! The counterweight is way in the back and I used my digital scale to set tracking force, I guess I'll have to get a lighter cartridge! I will go listen now and see how it sounds...

EDIT, it seems the max cartridge weight the 60C can take is 8g and the 150MLX is 8.3g.
 
So I just mounted my AT 150MLX to the T60C and I just barely made it to balance the arm! The counterweight is way in the back and I used my digital scale to set tracking force, I guess I'll have to get a lighter cartridge! I will go listen now and see how it sounds...

EDIT, it seems the max cartridge weight the 60C can take is 8g and the 150MLX is 8.3g.

The Ortofon OM series cartridge may be a good fit. :music:

(Weight: 5g including the inbedded brass weight)
http://www.vinylengine.com/library/ortofon/om20.shtml
 
All I can say is WOW, that's a sexy table. Not much in the under $2000 new looks 1/2 as nice, is built as well, and most likely would be hard pressed to keep up in SQ.

The table is so pristine personally I wouldn't think of modifying it cosmetically. I might have to add another table to the stable.

Martin
 
So I gave it a listen and it sounds GREAT! Tracks fantastic, even irregular cuts that have small warps. I may just keep the 150 on it for now. The arm is great and the floating suspension really eliminates vibrations. I'll have to look at those Ortofon OM carts and see what's what. So far though I am happy.
 
Back
Top Bottom