• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Gain requirements: Ultra LOMC cartridges

The Accuphase C-200 is spec'd at 40dB gain for the phono stage (2mV sensitivity on phono, 200mV sensitivity on high level inputs). It has a volume control on the inputs to allow stepping it down to around 30dB. So either 64dB or 72dB total gain with HA-500, and with option to reduce it further with volume controls on phono input.
Honestly I may be reading it wrong, but the manual for the C-200 seems to state 60db of gain, I think.
upload_2022-1-20_18-33-38.jpeg
 
Honestly I may be reading it wrong, but the manual for the C-200 seems to state 60db of gain, I think.
View attachment 2458642
The record output value (40dB) is the gain of the phono stage. The main output also includes the main preamp gain. You can get the same from the sensitivity numbers, as I mentioned in my post. The sensitivity shows a gain of 100x, which is 40dB.
 
The Accuphase C-200 is spec'd at 40dB gain for the phono stage (2mV sensitivity on phono, 200mV sensitivity on high level inputs). It has a volume control on the inputs to allow stepping it down to around 30dB. So either 64dB or 72dB total gain with HA-500, and with option to reduce it further with volume controls on phono input.

Hmmm... I just looked and thought I saw 60dB Disc 1, 2, and Mic to Main Out.

Anyway, think I've tossed out enough numbers to muddy the water. LOL.
 
the other trick you get with a step-up is the loading calcs. 32db would be a voltage ratio of 1:39.8 so 0.1 mv in gets you 3.98mv out.
The impedance ratio is a square of that, or 1:1584

assuming we're working into a typical 47k MM phono stage, what the cartridge would "see" is 29.7 ohms.

whether thats right for your cart or not I have no clue.
He has some extra control since the C-200 has input impedance adjustment, 30k, 47k, and 100k.
 
I understand, but isn't the ultimate concern for max available gain?
Not if we are talking about phono preamps. The 20dB extra line preamp gain is there for all sources. The amplifier probably has another 25dB or so gain too, but we don't count it. But sure, if you are trying to set your system gain structure and where you want the volume control to be during normal listening, you need to consider all the gain along with the speaker sensitivity.
 
Right. My thoughts were more to the total system... will there be enough main/pre out signal to give flexibility with amps of different gain, volume position, weaker/lower mastered material, etc.
 
That cartridge is indeed ultra low output. The ideal partner would be a SUT with a turns ratio of about 1:45. That would give about 33dB gain and give you enough signal to feed into an MM phonostage. Ortofon used to sell transformers specifically for those ultra low output cartridges. A lot of the Denon transformers have a turns ratio of only 1:10 which isn't really high enough for the MC-20 but you might get away with it if the MM phonostage could be adjusted for a gain of about 50dB rather than the more usual 40dB.
The real issue isn't so much the amount of gain required, it's getting a good signal-to-noise ratio. A high ratio SUT would be best, but even a low ratio SUT would help.
Is it all worth the cost? I suppose that depends on how much a re-tip is going to cost and whether you can find a suitable SUT at a reasonable cost.
That cartridge requires a gain of about 70-75dB. 30dB from a SUT + 40dB from a phonostage would do it, or 20dB for a SUT + 50dB from a phonostage. Btw, the phonostage would need a 47k input impedance for the SUT to work correctly, so there's no point trying to use an MC phonostage for extra gain if it has a low input impedance (circa 100 ohms).
 
That cartridge is indeed ultra low output. The ideal partner would be a SUT with a turns ratio of about 1:45. That would give about 33dB gain and give you enough signal to feed into an MM phonostage. Ortofon used to sell transformers specifically for those ultra low output cartridges. A lot of the Denon transformers have a turns ratio of only 1:10 which isn't really high enough for the MC-20 but you might get away with it if the MM phonostage could be adjusted for a gain of about 50dB rather than the more usual 40dB.
The real issue isn't so much the amount of gain required, it's getting a good signal-to-noise ratio. A high ratio SUT would be best, but even a low ratio SUT would help.
Is it all worth the cost? I suppose that depends on how much a re-tip is going to cost and whether you can find a suitable SUT at a reasonable cost.
That cartridge requires a gain of about 70-75dB. 30dB from a SUT + 40dB from a phonostage would do it, or 20dB for a SUT + 50dB from a phonostage. Btw, the phonostage would need a 47k input impedance for the SUT to work correctly, so there's no point trying to use an MC phonostage for extra gain if it has a low input impedance (circa 100 ohms).

US$250 plus shipping for a retip*, and $200 for a Ortofon MCA-76 (designed to compliment this very cartridge) that I have my eye on. The cantileverless MC-20 cost me $50. Is it worth it? Hard to say at this point, but I can feel my momentum in this direction.

I do already have the Denon HA-500, which has 32db gain. I am a bit dizzied by all the stats and figures in this thread, although I really appreciate everyone's knowledge and input. I think the best thing to do is try both the HA-500 and the MCA-76, and see what it yields.

Having said this, my Denon headamp offers 32db gain, and my Accuphase C-200 preamp offers 40 at least, so we are into the range of 70-75 db, as you say. Perhaps the MCA-76 is unnecessary, but we'll see.

(* retip = 0.14 x 0.07 mm nude 8/18 micron elliptical on a hardened tapered aluminum-magnesium alloy cantilever.)
 
Back
Top Bottom