• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

GAMMA 30 experiement

Another round of pics of other GAMMA speakers:

Here are the disco/home speakers with two GAMMA BK3013A woofers each.

gamma01.jpg


And a top of the line GAMMA 100 speaker with the heavy weight BBK-131A AlNiCo midrange driver, two VLD's and a BK3013A.

torkel2.jpg


Here is a three way speaker with the updated VVK-131B midrange driver.

DSC_0010.jpg
 
A dedicated listening room/area is one of the greatest upgrades you can get for your audio system, period!
 
I totally agree with that statement. :)

Sweet with all of those photos which reminded me that the vld-ribbons never sound bad no matter how hard treatment they get, they just burn off *snap* like that.
 
Last edited:
Just a small pic of an interesting speaker, I think it is a Mordaunt Short model.

img_0


Edit: Indeed, it is the MS-700
 
I just had a go at my NLP-60A's and I went as loud as I dare, all the way to 10:30 on the 18k.
I played the Ghost In the Shell - Innocence OST which has a lot of "EEEE" sound going on, as well as some awesome percussion.
I can now confidently say that the "EEEEE" problem I have been having is a problem with some recordings, as it was not a problem here, even though I have played louder then I have ever done before, on material that should be a very hard challenge for these speakers.
They sounded perfectly fine! and I definitely felt the bass rattling my bones!
 
Ok, did the last high amplitude test, play as loud as I can stand, made it to 11 on the 18k, after a while I just couldn't stand it anymore, but for a good 15 minutes or so, my apartment was blasted.
No problem, the GAMMA's sound fine, but I think my Perreaux E2 is showing signs of aging, with a 4 ohm load it fades out quicker when powered off, compared to 8 ohm, this is to be expected.
And when I played Grendel - Chemicals + Circuitry at almost unbearable levels, the bass got sloppy half way through the song, maybe a bit rough sounding overall as well, the main power caps might have been unable to keep up with the load over time.

So that is one of the things I should think about upgrading, they are not that big to begin with, I should be able to get much larger ones, there is plenty of space.

Damn that was loud...
 
Last edited:
I have found that the at least part of the "EEEE" problem has to do with one of the LA1231's.
The one made in 1994, has quality issues, I'll be ordering a new one, a 1992 model.

Edit: I managed to remove some magnetic dust from the driver, no new one is needed.
 
Last edited:
It seems that Vissokogovoriteli has serious finacial problems, they only seem to sell drivers at the factory since they have had a very hard time selling their product for a very long time.

No one at the factory seem to talk English at all.
 
What caps are you using? Clarity caps and the coils are hand made or ? Are they free air? Have you tested in bas reflex chambers? The la 1231 woofers?
 
I'm using ClarityCap ESA's, and Jantzen air coils.
I have not tested the LA1231's with bass reflex, but I did use the very similar BK3013a's in bess reflex.
My GAMMA speakers used to be a pair of GAMMA 50's, they where 3 way speakers with bass reflex.
I found that aperiodic is superior to bass reflex in every way, bass reflex, at least the setup used in the really exellent GAMMA 50's, sounds kind of bloated in comparison.
 
Here is an explanation and guidelines as to how to make an aperiodic enclosure.
https://diyaudioprojects.com/Technical/Aperiodic/

Also, an aperiodic speaker has lower excursion then a ported or sealed enclosure.
This should improve performance in the mids and highs, at least in theory.

The resonance free sound of aperiodic speakers is great, there is no secondary bass smeared on top, all bass comes directly from the surface of the woofer.

However if you are concerned about getting enough bass, then go with bass reflex.
My speakers still make sound at 20hz, but the bass is very flat, like a studio monitor, so it will only sound bassy with bassy music.
 
Last edited:
Have you done any testing on la1231? With volumes to the box as small as 50 litres in aperiodic design?
 

Attachments

  • 6CDD6A6D-EDDA-4062-9C9D-5C4FEC0E5596.jpeg
    6CDD6A6D-EDDA-4062-9C9D-5C4FEC0E5596.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 5
I haven't tested the LA1231's but I do have some data on them, should be enough:

11141603.png


11141602.jpg


full


full


full


full


full


full


full


full


I used this data to make all my "assumptions" and it turned out fine.
The graph showing the crossover was done by entering data from these graphs into boxsim.
My speakers are 60 liters, I increased the box volume from 50 liters, to be more in the center of the range where two airflow resistors are used.
If I was to go small, I'd probably, go for 30 liters with one airflow resistor, this is just an assumption though.
 
Back
Top Bottom