• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Garage Sale find $4 Polk Monitor Series 5

NJguy

Super Member
This past weekend I got 2 working Polk speakers for $4. I don't know much about them but figure for $4 I couldnt go wrong with Polk brand. The back says Monitor Series and has a 5 below it so I assume its a Polk Monitor Series 5.

Also says Silver Coil series under the cover. 3 way speakers (I was corrected they are 2 way speakers), plugged them in and they sound great. I love it that I can switch from A speakers to B speakers on my receiver so I can compare the sound to my old speakers which Ive had since the 80's (GE Soundvision) and you can tell the difference.

What can you guys tell me about the Polk Monitor Series 5? Was this a good find?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Very good find.
They are excellent speakers.
They go for around $75.

Also, they are not 3-way, just 2-ways.
The bottom woofer is passive.
Silver coil tweeter means they are SL2000.
 
Very good find.
They are excellent speakers.
They go for around $75.

Also, they are not 3-way, just 2-ways.
The bottom woofer is passive.
Silver coil tweeter means they are SL2000.

Cool thanks for the info, shows you how clueless I am. What does that mean though the bottom woofer is passive? Thanks.
 
Bottom woofer is just plugging the hole.
There is no magnet or wires connected.
It acts as a port and provides tighter bass.
 
Those are decent speakers. I had a set of the 5jr that I sold to the landlord. He still loves the hell out of 'em. You got a good deal.
 
You have some fine speakers on your hands. If you have an early model they will have the much admired Peerless tweeters, and even if they don't, they are several steps above what you're used to. Enjoy!
Edit - just noticed that you have the Polk tweets. Still a damned good deal on a darned good speaker.
 
I hope you were running when you left that garage sale, because you stole 'em!

Congratulations on a great find. I have a very similar pair of Polk's (5jr's) in my hobby/workroom. Great little speaker. Enjoy!
 
Also...I got a pair of AR-2ax for free from a neighbor recently and the smaller AR-2a for $8 from a thrift store but both don't sound right, the pots are messed up I think. I've never heard a functioning AR speaker and really wanted to hear these but don't know if I can handle the repair. My question is for reference, how does these 2 AR speakers sound compared say to these Polks I just got?
 
When I auditioned Polks I clearly remember being blown away by their treble. (Don't know which tweeters they used at the time). It had just the clearest, most detailed treble I had heard at the time. No AR that I ever heard ever came close. On the other hand, I purchased Philips because the bass was deeper and fuller and the treble was a close 2nd to the Polks, or as close as I had heard up till then. I believe you will find the bass of the AR's fuller and richer then the Polks.

Shelly_D
 
I hooked up the Polks (and a Subwoofer also for a little extra bass, its forté does seem to be the Treble more than bass) and it sounds fantastic. I'm almost insulted myself for paying only $2 for each speaker!
 
Funny, NJguy's post on pricing. The bottom listing I actually bought. Problem was, when they arrived, the grill pegs were broken, (6 of 8) and one of the magnets on a woofer shifted. I contacted the seller, and he refunded my money, and let me keep the speakers. I found an OEM woofer for $20.00, got em about 8" off the ground, and matched up with my HK-330c, they sound very nice... FYI magnet shifting on Polks are really common.
 
Back
Top Bottom