• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Getting new wheels for my Magnum, which do you prefer?

89grand

Addicted Member
Banned
Currently I have American Racing Torq Thrust wheels, and those things are ****. I've had these wheels for three years, and three had already been replaced for clear coat peeling, and now, they're all out of warranty and they all have peeling clear coat on the wheels lip. I'm done with these shitty wheels.

American Racing...made in China, I laughed about that when I first got them and noticed that, but as it turns out, it's not that funny, as the wheels where nearly $1000, not super high end, but not chump change either.

Anyway, I'm moving on to something else.

Before I go any further, I must state this:

This is a thread about which of the two wheels you prefer, not the whether you think the wheels are too big, or whether you think Magnums, or Dodge in general are junk, etc. Just about the wheel choice!


I had to state that because I know some people won't be able to help themselves from voicing their opinion on a subject I'm not asking about.

Anyway, the first wheel is a replica of the Dodge Challenger SRT8 wheel, but in 22" and the other looks similar to the wheels I have now, but are a little different, they're the Boss 338. I found a silver Magnum and 300 which have the 22" SRT8 wheels, and a 300 with the Boss 338, but those are 20" in that pic, so you'll have to imagine them a little bigger.

The SRT8 wheels:
srt22mag.jpg

300srt22-1.jpg


The Boss 338 wheels:
300boss338.jpg




And here's my actual car as it is now, except the wheels look like **** when seen up close lol!

Picture015.jpg



So, which do you prefer?
 
Register to hide this ad
I'll concur w/Simi. One thing, yr car is a wagon, do you ever "Load it Up", & consequently, MAYBE oughta get a heavier rated wheel ? Just sayin'....
 
I'm leaning towards the SRT wheel too, first off, since it's a stock wheel design, it'll give the car a stockish appearance, but because they're bigger, not totally stock. Plus, it's be a big change over what I have now, vs the Boss wheel which looks similar to what I have now, and I think the SRT wheel will be easier to maintain. Dodge actually used that SRT wheel on the last year of Magnum SRT8, in 08, and some Chargers, not just Challengers, except the stock wheel is a 20".

I did have 600 pounds of rocks in the car once, but generally it's just me in it...or some speakers I'm hauling home lol.

My wheels easily stood up to the 600 pound load, so I think I'll be ok with either choice.
 
I'd say SRT...The color matches the car a bit better from what I can tell, and they have nice simple lines that look "solid". I'm in the mindset that wheels should compliment the car, rather than stand out...I think it takes a really certain car to make Torq-Thrust really match up.

Nice looking car:thmbsp:
 
Almost any after market wheel you buy is going to eventually shed the clear coating. That's a fact of life.

If you really like the Americans, have the coating removed and polish the suckers the way we used to do in the good ol' days. Or, if you have a shortage of elbow grease, have them powder coated in clear. It will last longer than the Chinese eggroll glaze.
 
I prefer the SRT8. The Boss rims looks like something suitable for an old muscle car.

There's something scary about the thought of rolling on Chinese rims. And something just wrong about American Racing being made in China. They could have at least outsourced that one to Mexico.

Even though my car has Chinese tires from the previous owner on it. Luckily I don't do much highway driving.
 
I'd have roll with Boss rims, to me they lend a bit more hot rod flavor to the car, just a bit more badass.
 
First of all, I think the wheels are too big, and Magnums, or Dodge in general are junk ...

Glad I got that off my chest. <G>

Don't forget to check out other OEM wheels that have the same bolt pattern and will fit the wheelwells. I didn't much care for aftermarket bling when I was looking for something to replace the giant lemon squeezers on my classic Aurora. Quite possibly the fugliest wheels ever made.

aly06024u.jpg


Found out that the 2001 Grand Prix wheels were a good fit, if a bit close on the front calipers, and I was able to score a set in perfect condition at one of the local junkyards for what one decent aftermarket wheel would have cost.

And yes, even though the wheels are too small and GMs in general are junk, I think it worked out all right ...

DawgFlames.jpg
 
Last edited:
Almost any after market wheel you buy is going to eventually shed the clear coating. That's a fact of life.

If you really like the Americans, have the coating removed and polish the suckers the way we used to do in the good ol' days. Or, if you have a shortage of elbow grease, have them powder coated in clear. It will last longer than the Chinese eggroll glaze.

I agree! The American Racing wheels that you have now look better than either other choice on your ride. My vote is to go with what you have. Preston
 
Boss. They look timeless, like they would still work on a 60's hot rod. Timeless wheel for a timeless car: big, American station wagon.
 
Back
Top Bottom