• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Going to Give an Onkyo TX-7000 a Try

MyHeresyIsMe

Well-Known Member
I saw a TX-7000 on the bay and decided to buy it. I've had (and some still have) a TX-2500, TX-4500, TX-5000, an A-10, A-7090, T-9, and the only one that I had checked out by a tech is the TX-4500. I was told by the tech that one IC was bad but didn't have a replacement (which one, I do not know). It does sound good.

The TX-5000 is a venture into the '79-'80 era for Onkyos. It is the main component right now. But when I saw the TX-7000, the totl of that series, I thought I would take a shot. I've read as many threads on AK as I could find and also those from other websites. Let's see what it sounds like, running it through 2 BA A-200s and using a Thorens TD-160 and a so-so CD player.

If anyone knows about the TX-7000 I would welcome you opinion!
 
Register to hide this ad
GOT IT! I got the TX-7000 and sure, it has its problems as I could tell by looking at all of the missing screws on the cover, the mixtures of screws on the bottom cover, and the untightened feet screws. But it does work on all functions, both channels. I did reflow the solder on the ground wire to the PCB of the volume & balance board. I reflowed the solder of the volume/balance stacked pot to the board as well.

All of the lamps are original. The VU and Tuning meter lamps are out and I'll replace those, but here's my question for anybody who can answer it: When I turn on the unit, all of the dial lamps turn on. They stay on until the protection relay kicks off and then the left two dial lamps go out. ?????? Why would that happen? Here are two pics: One before the relay kicks off and one after. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!Before Relay goes off.jpg After Relay goes off.jpg
 
Anybody have a guess? The sound is good especially after I adjusted the idling current (both channels were off, 63 on the Left, 1 on the Right). and the DC offset was right at 1.5-2.0 both channels. But why would a couple of dial lamps go out after the protection relay clicks.

A little help, please...
 
Thanks for the reply, Blue Shadow. It could be a mechanical issue, in that I have reconnected grounds (reflowed solder joints) on the volume/balance board --- the ground lead virtually fell off when I had the chassis on its side and removed the bottom cover. Just a few minutes ago (before I turned on this computer) I turned on the receiver and the very same effect happened. All dial lamps came on, then it came out of protection and coinciding with the click of the relay, the left side of the dial went dark. So I think you are on the right track about something mechanical. I looked at the SM and couldn't find anything either. Thanks again!
 
yup, there it is in the SM

Clipboard01.jpg

That is an odd way to indicate.

Need to see your unit with all the bulbs working to see what this really looks like. I don't think Onkyo would leave part of the dial unlit when in the operation mode.
 
sregor, thanks for the link to the protection-lamp mystery (and it is a mystery) about the TX-7000. I have a TX-5000 and I expected the 7000 to work the same way. Bad assumption on my part. BTW, I've ordered new incandescent axial lamps for the meters and the sides of the dials. They should arrive tomorrow.
 
yup, there it is in the SM

View attachment 1993256

That is an odd way to indicate.

Need to see your unit with all the bulbs working to see what this really looks like. I don't think Onkyo would leave part of the dial unlit when in the operation mode.
I like the "hold circuit" The transistors are energized through the relay coil. When the relay coil is turned on, the drive to the resistors goes down and the lamps shut off.
 
yup, there it is in the SM

View attachment 1993256

That is an odd way to indicate.

Need to see your unit with all the bulbs working to see what this really looks like. I don't think Onkyo would leave part of the dial unlit when in the operation mode.

Blue Shadow, I read the post you put on ---- the same thing I have in my copy of the SM and my limited knowledge couldn't make any sense of points 2) and 3). I will be getting new axial lamps and see how that affects it (and I don't know why working lamps now will change with new ones). I'm glad I ordered 20 lamps.
 
I like the "hold circuit" The transistors are energized through the relay coil. When the relay coil is turned on, the drive to the resistors goes down and the lamps shut off.

So what I am seeing is the "protection indicator" that comes on and then goes off (left side of dial) AND the left side dial lamp ---and axial lamp---- should be on but is dead and will be replaced when the lamps come in. Well, that was confusing for me, but thanks for clearing that up!
 
Lighting up some of these old units costs more than buying the piece in the first place. But you might have gotten the quantity discount.

Probably I got rooked, but it's not the first time! I got 20 axial lamps for 24 bucks (including shipping). I'm sure they should have been .47 cents apiece or so but they will get here in the couple of days.
 
They were 47¢ back before they stopped making a few of the different types and all the efforts went to making LEDs of all shapes and sizes. We probably need to be happy we can get incandescents still.
 
I'm happy we can still get incandescents and the fact that I could get them within a few days instead of three weeks (when the person takes my order, then he orders from someplace else, another middleman fee plugged into my total). Besides, these incandescents will outlast me.
 
Besides, these incandescents will outlast me.
Maybe the positive thinking of those using LEDs thinking they will be around in 40 years when the LEDs start to need replacing. This issue and better lighting is why I still prefer correct incandescents if available. I don't mind going back in about 2050-2065 to replace them again. By then a good LED alternative should be available.
 
Maybe the positive thinking of those using LEDs thinking they will be around in 40 years when the LEDs start to need replacing. This issue and better lighting is why I still prefer correct incandescents if available. I don't mind going back in about 2050-2065 to replace them again. By then a good LED alternative should be available.

Just plain old fashioned, but I like the soft appearance of the incandescent. I've replaced the lights of an Onkyo A-8087, A-8019, and the dial lamps of some Sansui receivers of the 70s but the result was blindingly bright. (reminds me of the old 8mm movie camera of the 60s when you'd have to use a "Sun Gun" for indoor film). If I go back in and reversed them in the sockets so they are facing the back of the case (fuse lamps), the effect is that the dial is dull and segmented. I got my supply of screw-in bulbs and other incandescents. Maybe you are right, Blue Shadow, that there will be developed a good LED alternative.
 
I always thought this was one of their most attractive receivers, head on. The woodgrain case is a little of an odd balance to the modern face, but it works.
 
Last edited:
I always thought this was one of their most attractive receivers, head on. The woodgrain case is a little of an odd balance the the modern face, but it works.

Ds2000, it is a very attractive and unusual receiver ---- it is huge, width-wise but where it is sitting right now in my house, it fits in.
 
Too many similar buttons grouped together to easily learn then but with time shouldn't be hard to use without having to read each switch label. Long and lean does look good.
 
Back
Top Bottom