• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Going to Give an Onkyo TX-7000 a Try

Too many similar buttons grouped together to easily learn then but with time shouldn't be hard to use without having to read each switch label. Long and lean does look good.

Funny about that, because I was sitting on the floor trying to see how many FM stations I could get with this 300 ohm antenna next to the interior wall of this house, trying to figure out the "FM Mute Lock" button ----OFF when in is pushed in, while other buttons in that group are ON in the same position. When I push it ON, I can't pick up other FM stations. So I reach my hand to the back panel and lift the three-way switch to "HIGH" and then the Right VU meter jumps while the Left VU is not moving. Turn the ganged capacitor a bit, switch it back to OFF and the two VUs show me the wattage and I get a station clearly. I'm sure the tuner needs an alignment ---- that's not me, but the combo of analogue dial, the digital read out, and all the buttons is an experience alright. Yes, it is 40lbs of low, long, and lean. I'm waiting for the lamps and see what it looks like with those. Should look like an aluminum Christmas tree with lights from the early 60s.
 
I'm sure the tuner needs an alignment ---- that's not me, but the combo of analogue dial, the digital read out, and all the buttons is an experience alright.
You need to make sure the "touch sensor circuit" is working properly.

Find the service manual here, you'll need to register, it's free: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/onkyo/tx-7000.shtml

This receiver when working properly is a real sleeper, and still flies under the radar.

It can present some tech issues a little beyond the novice. But, it's worth having them properly sorted out.
 
You need to make sure the "touch sensor circuit" is working properly.

Find the service manual here, you'll need to register, it's free: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/onkyo/tx-7000.shtml

This receiver when working properly is a real sleeper, and still flies under the radar.

It can present some tech issues a little beyond the novice. But, it's worth having them properly sorted out.


bowtie427ss, thanks for the tip about hifi engine. That's a great resource and I have a lot of downloaded schematics, instructions. For the novice that I am and the setting up the alignment, I will take it to the shop where I got my work done (200 miles from here, where I lived before I retired. No shops here.).
 
Confession time: I am getting to like the sound of this TX-7000 more and more each day. I play a lot of CDs on it (not too much in this area for FM stations) so the music ranges from classical to Windham Hill-type to Jimi H. to jazz. This has a distinct sound from virtually every other amp/receiver I have and other brands. It is definitely different from the Onkyo TX-5000, which could be explained away by the valance of the components but this (7000) still sounds different and better, to me, with my old ears.

Has anyone here had their amp/separates/receiver catch their ear in an unexpected way? Like, its sounded 'grew' on you after a while of listening? I'd like to see what everyone else's experience has been.
 
Last edited:
Today I got the axial lamps for the VU & tuning meter as well as the dial. The original lamps have a green plastic lens over them so I put them on the new ones. Soldered them in place and, well, the replacement lamps are just too dim. I took off the lens, just to make sure, but it is still under powered. Replacing Original Lamps.jpg Obviously I ordered the wrong wattage but at least I know the wiring to the lamps is okay. I will order again, making sure I have the right volts & amps.
 
are those axial lamps? only a few voltages available today and if you got 12 and you need 8 or 6 it will be dim.
 
are those axial lamps? only a few voltages available today and if you got 12 and you need 8 or 6 it will be dim.

Yes, they are axial lamps, and I got 8 volts. My mistake. My costly mistake, but I'll reorder. He (JKL Components) has them in 12v . When I was looking at his page, he had axial lamps, he had the ones I bought as "VU meter bulb for audio equipment". If you want 8v, .055A axial lamps, I know where you can some dirt cheap!.
 
If you use 8V and they are dim, 12V might not even light up.

Dgwojo knows what you need.

I should have gone to him in the first place....he's quite a resource so I'll write him tonight. I should test the volts just to make sure there's nothing wrong with that but I doubt it. Thanks!
 
There are different lamps current models. 0.1, 0.15 and 0.3A are/were available. I see the 0.1 and 0.15 but the sm calls for the 0.3a bulb.
 
There are different lamps current models. 0.1, 0.15 and 0.3A are/were available. I see the 0.1 and 0.15 but the sm calls for the 0.3a bulb.

I just wrote Dave to see if he can help me out. I have the SM and saw the values, The ones I bought are way under, amp-wise. .055 is nothing compared to .3a.
 
More lamps are in the works, but I'm stumped by another problem beyond burned out lamps. Where should I start looking when the sound is clear and loud but very lacking in bass? I was comparing the same CD using the same player and speakers with other amplifiers. I have a Onkyo A-8067 and a Sansui 881 ---- both have more bass response than the very flat sound (in the bass frequencies) to the TX-7000. I can turn the 7000 up and will get more bass, but the higher frequencies are also very loud. I can keep the volume the same and push the Loudness button, but the bass response is not as strong as my other amps.

Any place to start to get more bass? (I have DeOxited all of the tone pots) OR, Is this just a characteristic of the TX-7000?? Thanks for any tips!!
 
Last edited:
Lack of bass solved. The Stereo/Mono switch was stuck in the Mono mode which flattened dynamics out. To be sure, you're reading the writings of a hearing impaired guy (since 2001 I have had to wear hearing aids) so my experience of music is subjective ----like everybody's---- but relative to my other stereo gear. I KNEW there was something lacking in this TX-7000. I have not cleaned all of the pots and the push-button switches, let alone recap anything yet. But it was a refreshing discovering that after several uses of contact cleaner and DeOxit (and 40-50 pushes of the Stereo/Mono button) I actually retrieved stereo sound with a full spectrum.
 
Back
Top Bottom