• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Goodmans Question for BEOBLOKE

ToTo Man

NEVER ENOUGH TOTO!
Hi Beobloke, having worked with Goodmans for a number of years (oh how I envy you :D ) you must be pretty clued up on what their best and 'not-so-best' speakers were. I was wondering if you could give me any pointers on which models would be worth looking out for?

My ever-growing collection at the moment consists of:
Havant
Mezzo SL
Magnum SL
Dimension 8
Achromat Beta

Despite having a healthy collection of Goodmans speakers I don't really know too much about them (I couldn't even hazard a guess at the number of different speaker models they produced between the 1950s and 1970s!).

I've currently got my eye on a pair of Magnum K2. Do you know how these compare with the Magnum SL?

If it's any help, I appreciate speakers with good bass but also with a prominent sparkly treble, so for example I prefer the Magnum SL to the Dimension 8 for this reason (though the lack of treble in the Dimension 8 could be due to the fact that they're bi-poles [hope thats the right word!]).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
 
Register to hide this ad
Wow never seen shepards before, another name to add to my list :yes: sadly too far for me and funds are poor atm. :tears: cheers for the heads up greg.
 
yeah it was the cheap shipping that attracted me to them madhatter :yes: . not a bad total price, and if they're not to my liking i can always sell them on and with a good advert get more than what i paid for them :D

btw - madhatter, i've got the mezzo SL setup in my bedroom and they sound awesome, had to boost the bass a little (well, alot), but they're a great allround sounding speaker for a neat compact room. looks like i won't get to compare them with the original mezzo because the seller screwed me :thumbsdn:
 
Last edited:
I have Goodmans Dimension 8s which I use with a stereo amp for my home cinema system.The angled driver array means that you do not need a centre speaker and the overall effect is pretty good.Certainly a cheats way of getting surround sound-and they are lovely looking speakers.The tweeters seem to suffer from fatigue and are best replaced with Vifas similar .
As far as other Goodmans speakers the Axiom 80 10 inch full range is arguably the best driver ever made.With a Fountek JP2 ribbon working above 12k and a high sensitivity woofer below 200hz[bi amped] this is as good as speakers get.A friend has such a system on the end of about $20,000 [US] worth of tube amps.The speed,detail ,dynamics and sheer musicality is breathtaking.A DBX Driverack handles the crossovers/EQ in this system and works superbly.

JT
 
kenwood_lover said:
Hi Beobloke, having worked with Goodmans for a number of years (oh how I envy you :D ) you must be pretty clued up on what their best and 'not-so-best' speakers were. I was wondering if you could give me any pointers on which models would be worth looking out for?

My ever-growing collection at the moment consists of:
Havant
Mezzo SL
Magnum SL
Dimension 8
Achromat Beta

Despite having a healthy collection of Goodmans speakers I don't really know too much about them (I couldn't even hazard a guess at the number of different speaker models they produced between the 1950s and 1970s!).

I've currently got my eye on a pair of Magnum K2. Do you know how these compare with the Magnum SL?

If it's any help, I appreciate speakers with good bass but also with a prominent sparkly treble, so for example I prefer the Magnum SL to the Dimension 8 for this reason (though the lack of treble in the Dimension 8 could be due to the fact that they're bi-poles [hope thats the right word!]).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Weeeeell, It's difficult for me to say directly what they were all like as i did work there after they stopped making hi-fi speakers and so only heard what was hanging about - mostly 80's stuff onwards.

The Havant/Magnum/Mezzo SL series were pretty good - i was pretty impressed by the Havants i heard, however i actually preferred the Dimension 8's. I owned a pair of these for a couple of years and always found them very enjoyable to listen to in a quirky sort of way! The soundstage took some getting used to but they made soem very pleasant noises.

If you want some advice on ones to look out for i'd recommend holding out for a pair of Goodwoods. They are lovely speakers and don't fetch a huge amount of money, but they are big so tend to be "collection only" when you find them.
The other interesting ones that i do have a great deal of experience with are the '90's Imagio speakers. These used Goodmans' ICT technology where the tweeter was sat in the centre of the bass driver and driven through magnetic induction form its voice coil - no electrical connection. This made the driver full range and gives superb imaging but the treble response isn't exactly "sparkly"!

That's a nice collection you're starting up there............. :thmbsp:
 
kenwood_lover said:
Hi Beobloke, having worked with Goodmans for a number of years (oh how I envy you :D ) you must be pretty clued up on what their best and 'not-so-best' speakers were. I was wondering if you could give me any pointers on which models would be worth looking out for?

Anything designed by Ted Jordan is definitely worth having! Especially the Axiom stuff. IIRC, Jordan left Goodmans in the mid-'60s... so, anything between the mid-'50s and mid-'60s.

Later model Goodmans stuff (like the ICT stuff referred to just above) was made after Goodmans merged with Tannoy. Good stuff... not quite up to the Tannoys (after all, TGI used Goodmans as kind of the "entry level" brand and Tannoy as the "upper end", for the most part, like comparing say, Pontiac to Cadillac WRT cars) but good, well-designed, well-balanced speakers...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Back
Top Bottom