• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Got a pair of free JBL Pro 4301s from my friend's mom

like I said, there is also a lot wrong with the speakers. The right tuning knobs are completely gone, there are screws lose, and to top it all off, the negative connector plug on the right is gone, so they’re gonna have to replace all that
 
I mentioned Aileen’s Tacky glue earlier. Besides being water soluble, it gives you working time to position the surround correctly, and easy to clean up if extra gets pushed out when pushing down the surrounds to the glued surfaces. I hate the clear glue Simply Speakers includes with their surrounds. It’s to sticky, stringy, messy and sets up too fast. I used it once, never again.
I prefer the Simply Speakers glue. It tacks and sets fast, will stick to anything, and dries completely very quickly. Would say it’s more of an advanced-level glue however because it doesn’t allow much time for mistakes, it does allow enough however.

Is $300 the going rate? What does this include?
 
Right. I finally connected the left speaker up, and can confirm it works. This is good, since me and my dad will refoam both in the near future
 
This is NOT a value post - All posts with Money/Value figures deleted.
 
like I said, there is also a lot wrong with the speakers. The right tuning knobs are completely gone, there are screws lose, and to top it all off, the negative connector plug on the right is gone, so they’re gonna have to replace a

Took me 2 minutes to find these ,,,,

 
Replace the push connectors or whatevewr with binding posts.. Easy to find o the bay or other online suppliers like
but not exclusively Parts express


Just remove the black moulding and the individual posts will easily replace the JBL push or twist connectors
 
Replace the push connectors or whatevewr with binding posts.. Easy to find o the bay or other online suppliers like
but not exclusively Parts express


Just remove the black moulding and the individual posts will easily replace the JBL push or twist connectors
I would do this, but this is my first time repairing speakers, and I would rather have a professional do it. I am not "handy" in any sense, and I am going to limit myself to refoaming the speakers. I will check this out in the future though, since It would be good to have more independence and save money on this.
 
This is good, since me and my dad will refoam both in the near future
I would do this, but this is my first time repairing speakers, and I would rather have a professional do it. I am not "handy" in any sense, and I am going to limit myself to refoaming the speakers. I will check this out in the future though, since It would be good to have more independence and save money on this.
Maybe your dad can help with the binding posts. They aren't too difficult, easier than the surround replacement.
 
Well, my circumstances have definitely changed. I opened up the 'non-working' speaker, and to my pleasant surprise, I found the tuner knob completely intact. It had simply fallen out of the case, and everything was in mint condition. better yet, I now believe that I can fix everything myself. I guess the dread of the task was worse after all. I will be ordering those banana jacks in the near future, and replacing the foam in the nearer future. I will keep yall posted with updates.
 
There you go! Seems a little apprehension about the unknown has been eased. Most box speakers are fairly simple so far as the physical components.

With the refoam job, I just suggest you have a good plan and work space. Be well thought out as to how the foam is glued and where they will sit as the glue sets. There are different ways to "clamp" the foam to the speaker cone. Just try to know exactly what you are going to do before you squeeze any glue out.

I use Aileen's tacky glue. Squeezes out white and dries clears. Pick it up at Walmart, Micheal's, JoAnne Fabric, Amazon. Squeeze some out and practice making a consistent bead before you do it on the cone/foam. It's an advantage to know how hard you have to squeeze and what it takes to get the flow right. You'll make your first refoam look like you've done it a dozen times :thumbsup:
 
There you go! Seems a little apprehension about the unknown has been eased. Most box speakers are fairly simple so far as the physical components.

With the refoam job, I just suggest you have a good plan and work space. Be well thought out as to how the foam is glued and where they will sit as the glue sets. There are different ways to "clamp" the foam to the speaker cone. Just try to know exactly what you are going to do before you squeeze any glue out.

I use Aileen's tacky glue. Squeezes out white and dries clears. Pick it up at Walmart, Micheal's, JoAnne Fabric, Amazon. Squeeze some out and practice making a consistent bead before you do it on the cone/foam. It's an advantage to know how hard you have to squeeze and what it takes to get the flow right. You'll make your first refoam look like you've done it a dozen times :thumbsup:
Good to know. I already defoamed the speakers using qtips and alcohol, and cleaned up the inside a little. I will go to Michael’s tomorrow, to see if I can find it
 
Back
Top Bottom