• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Got hit today in my '96 Nissan Sentra!

Hi everyone,

I have made the decision to retire the Sentra no matter what. I have been looking at vehicles the last two days. Found a Larger Saturn Wagon (an '03) and even an E-Class Mercedes Benz wagon (a 1994) with 100,000 on it. Am considering minivans even.
 
So sorry Kent. Of course, your recovery is what is important - vehicles come and go.

Having said that, I had a 1996 Altima that I bought for my wife, used, when her Celebrity blew up. We loved that car! It met it's demise in California. My wife was stopped at a fresh green light, waiting to make a right hand turn while a slow pedestrian finished crossing. Some lady in an Excursion with a cell phone in her ear rearended her doing about 40 mph, with my 18 month son strapped in the backseat. My wife said she had just enough time to take her foot off of the brakes. The lady never saw her - no skid marks anywhere. The Altima did it's job, though. The trunk crumpled and absorbed all of the impact. My wife's neck was a bit sore and she said my son's eyes were very large and very round, but that was all. It totaled that fine, well maintained car.

Best of luck to you on your search for a suitable replacement.
 
Yes, I did love that Sentra. It was dependable, never let me down. I spent many good times in it and met my first AK members in it. It hauled my Otari home and was fun to drive. I may even get another Sentra before it is over. I do love my present rental vehicle, my Wheelchair Getaways Braun Entervan conversion. I wish my budget would let me purchase it outright. It would make life easier for me when transferring from car to wheelchair is difficult and the hip spends 3-8 times out of socket in a day. I do want the ability to stash my wheelchair in the back whole rather than folding backs and removing wheels though. Takes a lot of energy I can use for better things.
 
Sorry to Hear this Kent! Glad you came through in one piece! I know it may be a tough decision and certainly not a plesant one, however a Lawsuit might be in order here considering your extenuating circumstances. Just a Thought.
 
I had that same Sentra..

Take solace in the fact that at 200k, it was due a timing chain. That job is expensive, as the whole motor nearly has to come out. Or is it the transmission? Anyway, it's expensive. I know...had one go out at 215k.

Great car. So sorry to hear it. I personally had the ignominy of getting off work at the mall to find my mint '96 ranger with 170k had been carelessly backed into, cracking the rear quarterpanel all the way to the gas tank.

And when I say it was mint, I mean MINT.

First truck or car I ever bought new. Now its all ugly. It was a huge SUV as the damage was very high up. Probably some brainless mall mama, trying to apply makeup, talk on the cellphone, and oh, yeah, drive..

Get well, friend.
 
Update,

Saw Neurosurgeon today. He specializes in spina bifida children and their issues and also does care for adults. He says I have a tethered spinal cord. May require surgery. Have contacted my company's legal team and they have one partner who specializes in accident law. Am looking for another car. I am planning if at all possible to get a larger car or a van. I need something safer.
 
Update,

Saw Neurosurgeon today. He specializes in spina bifida children and their issues and also does care for adults. He says I have a tethered spinal cord. May require surgery. Have contacted my company's legal team and they have one partner who specializes in accident law. Am looking for another car. I am planning if at all possible to get a larger car or a van. I need something safer.

Ah man:sigh:...I certainly hope things get better fast, nobody deserves this...not just the accident, but then the car failing, etc. Good luck with the diagnosis, and good luck with the legal stuff too. Just remember that the sentra technically did do its job, you weren't critically injured in the wreck:yes: (I know some car's that wouldn't have done such a thing)
 
Sorry to hear that Kent! I certainly hope that everything comes out alright after the smoke clears. Glad you have a good attorney to use. My thoughts and prayers will be with you if you have to go through the surgery.
 
Aww, chit...Lemme know where & when you're gonna be cut on..I'd recommend UT Hospital there in Knoxville...THEY know what they're doing there...
 
Kent, I just saw this thread and am very sorry about this turn of events in your life. I hope your surgery for tethered cord goes well and your other injuries continue to heal. I hope that at the very least you can get a bigger, safer, easy to use vehicle out of this mess.
 
Kent -

Best of luck with the surgery and I'll throw you in my family's prayers.

Always good to have competent medical and legal help.

Ken
 
I saw the Neurosurgeon and he opted to do a laser procedure (done yesterday) and I am sore (I also had steroids put in my back). Should keep the swelling down and maybe hold off major tethering of the cord. I'll be seeing a PT soon for spasticity evaluation. You fine folks have kept me emotionally better and focused on the tasks of getting healed, getting another vehicle, and getting on with the main task at hand (finding Karma and friends and fine audio). Good news, a Swedish emigrant has a nice 1997 Volvo 960 with recent major service he is going to let me have for cheap. Well maintained car and it's had timing belt, tuneup, and water pump replaced in the last month. $1250. Gotta get hand controls installed on it. Much easier to get in and out of and more room. And major safe! And the car is local. I have had it mechanically checked out. Will keep you good people posted on how I hold up. Been a rough 10 days for sure. Don't want to repeat it either. Wheelchair Getaways has been a godsend and my friends have been there for me above and beyond! :tresbon:
 
Excellent news, Kent, and I am glad you are on the mend. I'm going to have to check in with you about the hand controls if my daughter ever decides to drive.
 
Strangeband,

PM or post about any SB issues you have with your daughter. I am here to help. I now have a car, paid for to boot. I am now the proud owner of a 1997 Volvo 960 with the straight six engine. It is dark blue. Beautiful car. Emotionally, one move forward. Much more room than my old Sentra. Nicer riding!
 
Dah-Yum, Me Olde Sonne, you're gonna be WAY too Uptown to talk to us ol' Po' Folks w/that there fancy Oovle-ov ! (That's "Volvo" pronounced sideways...)
 
Back
Top Bottom