• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hüsker Dü fans?

Register to hide this ad
Ya know, I have heard of this band my whole life, but admit to having never listened to them (that I am aware of). I just pulled them up on Pandora and will check them out.
 
Thanks for the link, Urizen! I'll have to check that book out. I picked up 'Zen Arcade' at a recent record show here and have been saving it for a good day to listen. I really like their 'sellout' album 'Candy Apple Grey' -- Sorry Somehow is one of my favorite all time songs.
 
One of my favorite groups. Thanks for posting.
Husker Du evolved from their early hardcore days, but even their noisy stuff was melodic. Bob Mould is still doing a variety of different sounds on his releases.
I liked it all, and wouldn't consider any of it sellout, just moving on. They are credited with influencing punk as well as the first true "grunge" sound before it had a name.
 
Still chuckle at how they arrived at the name "Husker Du". It was some sort of board game that was hawked incessantly on TV...suppose the band decided to preserve it for posterity.
 
I've been a huge fan since Land Speed Record.
Zen Arcade is one of my desert Island disc.
When Bob Mould moved on to Solo stuff and Sugar, I liked it too.
Its too bad that there is so much bad blood between them that they will never play together again.
The name Husker Du basically means DO You remember? It was taken from a board game that is basically a memory matching game. You have about 40 windows showing a picture and you lift the cover to reveal the picture and then you have to find it's mate under another window. You have a rotating disk under the windows that allow you to play various patterns.
I used to have that game as it's a fun game for kids and adults.
 
When I was a bar guy in early 80's Minneapolis/St Paul, you couldn't get away from this band. They were a bit harsh for me, I think I spent most of my time at the foosball table.
 
When I was a bar guy in early 80's Minneapolis/St Paul, you couldn't get away from this band. They were a bit harsh for me, I think I spent most of my time at the foosball table.


I saw them a few times. Enjoyed the experience but thought the same.

Bob Moulds solo stuff along with Sugar was much more palatable to me.

RC
 
If you are ever in Red Wing, Greg Norton has his own steakhouse called Norton's. He is a really cool guy to chat with. When I first moved to MN from Chicago, he was managing/cooking at a restaurant called Staghead. Spent a lot of nights there drinking some beers and talking music with him.
 
Love 'em. Have tracked down most of their records on SST, and have seen Bob Mould a few times solo, and Sugar once...started a bit late to see Husker Du live.

Thanks for the post Urizen!

...and thank for the restaurant suggestion mhilton777! I wonder if they have a special section where the seat the 30 and 40 something dudes in boots and black T-shirts who wander in to talk to Greg :)
 
That book will be a great xmas gift for me. I have been a fan since I first bought a copy of zen arcade. Didn't get past the first side for a month. For me, it ranks up there with epic albums like Quadrophenia by The Who. Anyone who is interested in the band should grab a copy of that one for sure. As their later albums came out, you could see a change in the band stylistically. You could tell who wrote the songs based on how they sounded. I loved them all. Me and 3 of my kids were rocking out to Candy Apple Gray just the other night.

Good times for sure.
 
New Day Rising and Zen Arcade were IT in the mid 80s. Never saw them live, but did see the minutemen in DC.
 
Back
Top Bottom