• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vinyl makes the Memphis CA

Register to hide this ad
Nice article I find it especially interesting becuase it is from Boise where I happen to be. I may have to go check out the VPS meeting this wed. One of the local papers had a full page article about the return of records a few weeks ago.

So in a few years will people be saying "I was into records when being into records wasn't cool" Ah to be a trend setter.
 
Nice article! Be sure to check out the comments which continues the running debate. Personally, I don't recall a cd giving me that live nightclub or concert feeling. This debate may go down in history as which came first, the chicken or the egg?
 
Cool article Ken. I remember spending hours in Pop Tunes (Memphis) going thru the thousands of albums and 45's and never once leaving without a bag full of goodies. You'd occasionally run into your idols there too.
 
Nice article I find it especially interesting becuase it is from Boise where I happen to be. I may have to go check out the VPS meeting this wed. One of the local papers had a full page article about the return of records a few weeks ago.

So in a few years will people be saying "I was into records when being into records wasn't cool" Ah to be a trend setter.

I heard about the VPS from the Record Exchange. I was going to go last month but didn't make it. Will try again this month. Next meeting should be the 29th? I understood they meet the last Weds of each month...
Back in the '80s, CDs overwhelmed the market because most people had crummy turntables (me included). A cheap CD player does sound better than a bottom of the barrel TT.
But I always remembered a couple of my buddies that had nice mid-fi Marantz and Pioneer systems. I never heard a CD system that sounded as good and that always stuck in my mind.
I finally started laying in albums whenever I ran across them recently and just picked up a vintage Kenwood TT. It sounds very nice and I haven't hooked my CD player back up since.
Plus, the ritual of getting an album out of the sleeve, putting it on the platter, and lowering the needle brings back a lot of good memories.
The few albums I still have from back in the day that I didn't trash still sound fine.
 
The one on Poplar and Danny Thomas is still there, a sad shell of what it was. The one on Summer, with it's cool neon sign, closed several years ago.

I used to shop both stores, but the old one on Poplar was the one I liked. Better selection, a funky atmosphere and it was right off the I40 bridge, making it a quick and easy trip for me. Remember all of those poor old Voice of Music suitcase record players used to audition sample records that were on all day long, six days a week? Is there anything left on Overton Square that's worth visiting anymore?
Seems like all the action drifted back to Beale Street years ago.
 
Nice write up, glad to see that we are trend setters here in lil ol' Boise, I just left the Record Exchange today with about ten LPs!
 
Nice write up, glad to see that we are trend setters here in lil ol' Boise, I just left the Record Exchange today with about ten LPs!

I was down there this morning and left with 5, I think. Picked some up mid-week, too.
The real score was at a pawn shop on Chinden. I got their stack, 27 albums, for five and a half bucks. There were 6 out of that I wanted but the deal was I'd take them all.
Have you tried that woman out in Kuna that had an ad on CL awhile back for rare vinyl?
 
I was down there this morning and left with 5, I think. Picked some up mid-week, too.
The real score was at a pawn shop on Chinden. I got their stack, 27 albums, for five and a half bucks. There were 6 out of that I wanted but the deal was I'd take them all.
Have you tried that woman out in Kuna that had an ad on CL awhile back for rare vinyl?

I haven't tried her yet, I just spotted the ad the other day and was considering an appointment as I work out there, if I do I will let you know what I find :yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom