• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

H.H. Scott anyone?

I gave up on Scott stuff when I took my 222c and 299D to the Mcintosh amplifier clinic and even with new tubes they could not meet Scotts own specs at Half rated power below 70 HZ or above 7 KHZ in 64. Both reaching close to 7% distortion at 20 Khz and over 3% distortion at 20 HZ. So I traded them in on a MA 230 Mcintosh. What a difference in sound quality. . No more mushy bass or strident highs. The Mac put out 38 watts before exceeding .5% distortion had almost 10 db more signal to noise which really improved the performance of my Altec speakers.
 
^ It was down for a couple of days this past week, I think it was maintenance
Ah,ok,thank you
Lots of great info there for the tube people.
I really wish there were more areas or sites for topic of conversation for the HH Scott SS people.
 
Last edited:
I bought an HH Scott integrated amp, 480a, from a guy that had a TV repair shop, I think it was 2005 or 2006 for 80 dollars. He mostly repaired those big fat tube tvs, and also some audio stuff. He told me he went thru the amp, and it was in great shape, given that it was built in 1978. Used it over the years in a couple of different rooms with my Pioneer Tx-9500 tuner, and various cd players, turntables etc. It is every good as any other vintage unit I've had as far as build quality and sonics. During this time in the 1970's, H H Scott was German owned, and I believe, though no longer an American company, it was a second great era for Scott components. Not using it now, I don't know if I could ever sell it.
 
I bought an HH Scott integrated amp, 480a, from a guy that had a TV repair shop, I think it was 2005 or 2006 for 80 dollars. He mostly repaired those big fat tube tvs, and also some audio stuff. He told me he went thru the amp, and it was in great shape, given that it was built in 1978. Used it over the years in a couple of different rooms with my Pioneer Tx-9500 tuner, and various cd players, turntables etc. It is every good as any other vintage unit I've had as far as build quality and sonics. During this time in the 1970's, H H Scott was German owned, and I believe, though no longer an American company, it was a second great era for Scott components. Not using it now, I don't know if I could ever sell it.
Very nice!
I have a 480A also along with other HH Scott gear from this era.
I agree with your assessment 100%.
 
I have just recapped a Scott 480A that I bought in near mint condition. It sounds very dynamic and warm, between tubes and solid state kind of presentation.

Also bought a A-547.
 
There is a lot of info out there if you look around.
I could never do the brand justice trying to share historical info.
I bought my first HH Scott receiver in 1980,it's a 45 watt 355 R receiver. Still sounds great after all these years. Never needed anything except the pots cleaned.

Here's my top of the line for 1979 set up. 390 R receiver,825 Z EQ,830 Z analyzer,PS-87 A turntable and Pro 100 B speakers.

This set is from 1976,Alpha 1 pre amp,Alpha 6 power amp 60 watts and CD 87 cassette player,This set was HH Scotts attempt to break into the high end market in 1976,my guess is it didn't sell well because of price and there was very stiff competition back then with established brands that already had loyal users.

Here's a 1977 set, A 457 60 watts integrated with T 527 Tuner

Here's a 1978 set, 480 A 85 watts integrated with 570 T Tuner

Here's my PS 87 A along side my PS 97 XV HH Scotts, 2 top of the line turntables from about 1978-1979

Yes the 70's HH Scott gear has treated me well,I enjoy it!
If you ever have any specific questions I might be able to help or steer you in the right direction,let me know.
Cool, I just bought a mint pair of 1985 Scott Bostonian one book shelves like new still in original boxes and I know this was year Emerson purchased them, but if you did not know this the quality & SN# spec labels etc….these look & sound very good……..any Info/ Insight appreciated…
 
Cool, I just bought a mint pair of 1985 Scott Bostonian one book shelves like new still in original boxes and I know this was year Emerson purchased them, but if you did not know this the quality & SN# spec labels etc….these look & sound very good……..any Info/ Insight appreciated…
Sorry I have no knowledge of the Bostonian's.
I have read online they are a very nice sounding speaker.
Hope you enjoy them.
 
Back
Top Bottom