• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Had a heart attack, and bought a speaker while I was in the ICU

6.5CM

Active Member
I had a heatstroke induced heart attack August 1. Spent 3 days in the ICU and when I felt good enough to, I said to myself, ef it. Ima gonna buy myself speakers for surviving this.

I bought a set of Devore Fidelity Gibbon X.

Ive had them for three days now, and I like them.

Theyre nothing life changing. They are not spectacular and decadent.

The Gibbon X is very pleasant with nothing really to criticize, and surprisingly produces ample bass. The midrange is sweet but not luscious. The treble is accurate. The bass is on the warm side of neutral.

Looking to be a long term keeper.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I just read about them on Sterophile. The strong bass sounds not too surprising given the design. What kind of music do you listen too, what is your room like, and how are you doing after the heart attack?
I had open-heart surgery 5 years ago to correct a defective valve. It was rough, but I'm glad that I avoided a heart attack. I'm doing well now.
 
UXotUWQl.jpg


Here is the set up. Dynavector cartridge, modded Rega TT, Allnic Preamp, Allnic Phono Pre, Pass X.8 amp, Denafrips Dac and Blusound Node 2i


UfNnFXZl.jpg

HkEVvUSl.jpg

ARFClYNl.jpg

IVGdFbml.jpg
 
Contrary to some reviews, theyre not very difficult with placement due to the side firing woofers. I have an asymmetrical room and I was able to get a good centered image.

Theyre not as sensitive as some writeups purport. I was anxious about not having finesse with my volume control.

The Gibbon doesnt really attract much attention to itself as it has very few things to critique. The bass could be firmer, theyre a tad warm and tubey sounding.

What they do that is very interesting is that they will throw stuff outside of the main soundstage every now and then and play tricks with your head, which is really cool. I like little magic tricks :)
 
Last edited:
I'm certainly glad you recovered so well from your heart attack. I hope you enjoy the speakers for years to come.
 
Been there with the heart attack, so take it easy, and best wishes.

Speakers look great!

Lee.
 
Enjoy the many years to come.

It's about time someone posts a picture without the deck or a TV between the speakers. Like it'.
 
Fantastic! Especially fantastic that you are doing well now! And it's very cool that we think alike! I had an unexpected lipo-sarcoma (cancerous) tumor removed from my leg on March 23rd and decided on March 25th, one day after being released from the hospital that I would join the Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend MkII buy-in. It gave me something to look forward to. They arrived on July 23rd, one month after my follow-up radiation finished up. I love them so far and am also happy to be doing well. Getting old sucks!
Again, very happy to hear you are doing well and, you have an awesome system to enjoy your music on!
 
With their high center of gravity (the weight of the drivers is all above mid-height) and narrower-than-appears footprint (the tiptoes are moved in from the sides), I'd think that tipping over and crashing to the floor is a real risk. Not a criticism, just a caution.

images-2.jpg

I have similar tall+narrow speakers. The pic shows them with feet that spread the weight, but I got mine at a GW for $200 and the feet were missing. They are precarious. Several times I barely brushed against them and they started to tip – luckily I caught them quickly, because if they reached tipping-point I'd have had to catch a falling 100-lb deadweight. Not very likely.

Yours have woofers on both sides — do you know if they work in push-pull? I ask because I might double-up my woofers too. Mine are "power hungry", and with double-woofers I could use lower-power amps, e.g. tubes, which I'd prefer – they have a somewhat edgy sound.
 
If anyone is interested. Here are the in room frequency response results for the GX (red) and the Zu Omen Defs Mk IIs (green). You'll see the Omen Def has a flatter response to 20 Khz. It does sound more delicate on that end. The Omen Def can be shrill in the mid range, and if I tune it out via tilting, the mids can sound veiled. It was very hard to find a middle ground. The bass on both are quite different. The Omen makes the room shake more, the bass is faster and more firm. The GX is warmer on the low end, but is not lacking power.

05nLZaHh.jpg
 
With their high center of gravity (the weight of the drivers is all above mid-height) and narrower-than-appears footprint (the tiptoes are moved in from the sides), I'd think that tipping over and crashing to the floor is a real risk. Not a criticism, just a caution.

View attachment 2313587

I have similar tall+narrow speakers. The pic shows them with feet that spread the weight, but I got mine at a GW for $200 and the feet were missing. They are precarious. Several times I barely brushed against them and they started to tip – luckily I caught them quickly, because if they reached tipping-point I'd have had to catch a falling 100-lb deadweight. Not very likely.

Yours have woofers on both sides — do you know if they work in push-pull? I ask because I might double-up my woofers too. Mine are "power hungry", and with double-woofers I could use lower-power amps, e.g. tubes, which I'd prefer – they have a somewhat edgy sound.

The Omen Defs were 105 pounds with my tweeter and were just as precarious. I may build outriggers like in your picture. Looks like a good idea.

The woofers are push pull and then housed in a transmission line enclosure.
 
Back
Top Bottom