• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hafler DH 101 connection to Hafler DH 200

post a pic, drag and drop works, of the wiring as you have it.

Was this gear working? Of are you trying to see what is up with it? Do you have other gear, to help with diagnosis?
 
@Dswankey I tried using RCA cables yesterday since I didn’t have the jumpers and still no luck. That’s when I got on AK to get some expert help.
 

Attachments

  • F389E831-956E-4521-B418-F0088A7B3B2D.jpeg
    F389E831-956E-4521-B418-F0088A7B3B2D.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 38
@Blue Shadow this is the image I was copying from. I auditioned the equipment about 2 months ago from a friend. We hooked up a tuner and a TT and it worked fine. He kept all of his cables as I told him I had plenty. Fast forward 2 months where I spent most of the weekend trying to make it work. When it didn’t I got on AK for some help.
 
I see there is an RCA cable between the processor in and out and the main output goes to the amp. These connections will get the signal out of the preamp.
Do you have anything that can be a high level input? Tuner, receiver tape output, phone music of something? You have talked about using phono and it requires an additional gain stage and using a high level input on the preamp will bypass that.

Have you opened the amp to look at the pile of fuses to verify they are good? Back panel fuses just drop the output almost all the way but still some noise can get through (from memory, been years since those have fried in my DH-200s). The internal fuses control the rail voltage to the amps an can silence the amp. There is also the main fuse which would keep the on-off switch from illuminating if it was blown, I think.
 
Last edited:
I see there is an RCA cable between the processor in and out and the main output goes to the amp. These connections will get the signal out of the preamp.
Do you have anything that can be a high level input? Tuner, receiver tape output, phone music of something? You have talked about using phono and it requires an additional gain stage and using a high level input on the preamp will bypass that.

Have you opened the amp to look at the pile of fuses to verify they are good? Back panel fuses just drop the output almost all the way but still some noise can get through (from memory, been years since those have fried in my DH-200s). The internal fuses control the rail voltage to the amps an can silence the amp. There is also the main fuse which would keep the on-off switch from illuminating if it was blown, I think.
 
@Blue Shadow I have a solid state NAD receiver and an old Kenwood cassette deck. So you’re saying just hooking up a TT to the phono stage won’t work without some other high gain component?
 
no I'm saying we need to find out what is going on.
phono pre doesn't work, try a high level input and verify pre and power work. Use cassette deck putput or REC OUT of the NAD with phono playing or a station tuned in and see if the pre power works.

the pre doesn't work, don't know. Well you DIDN'T GIVE MODEL NUMBERS so I can't look to see if there are preamp outputs on the NAD to allow it to act as the preamp to verify the power amp. You need volume control on the input to the amp as it does not have gain controls.

Testing the preamp, hook it up to a high level input on the receiver and use its main output, probably need about half way up to see if the preamp passes the phono signal

Lots more to do but we need to know how stuff works based on this.
 
Last edited:
Ahhh… OK got it. I’m at work right now but I’ll try this when I get home. I think my NAD is a 7045 if my memory serves me correctly. Again, your help is greatly appreciated.
 
This 7045?
NAD 7045 AM/FM Stereophonic Receiver Manual | HiFi Engine
click the pic for larger.

Unfortunately, it does not have preamp outputs so we can't use that as the source to check the amp. I expect the Kenwood does not have output level control either so not possible to check the amp without the preamp. Hopefully, the preamp check will reveal a working preamp.

Phono to preamp phono input, select correct phono on the preamp and set volume to about half
Main outputs of preamp to Aux input on the NAD,
See if you have phono playing on the speakers with the NAD in control of the volume and on Aux input.

Got sound, preamp phono works and I expect the preamp works.

No sound, plug cassette into preamp and select its input and again see if the NAD has cassette going through the preamp to the NAD.

Got sound, good, No sound, we have a preamp problem.

Does your cassette deck have output level controls?
 
Let’s go back to basics. Let’s remove all the switching circuits from the signal path. And validate the simplest signal path

Make sure your cables from the ‘OUTPUT OUT’ jacks are working and the connection amp is good. Maybe swap for a new RCA cable.

Do you have a mobile device with a 1/8” headphone jack, and a 1/8” stereo to RCA cable? Connect the phone to the EXT PATCH - FROM’ jacks. This should tell you if the preamp section (vol control, pre circuitry, tone control) work.

If this works, then reconnect the EXT PATCH JUMPERS, connect the phone to the tuner input, select tuner, and see if that works.

Let us know the outcome of each step.
 
@Blue Shadow I ‘think’ I did what you asked and still no phono from the pre amp. Should I check the phono 2 connection? I’m giving you pics of my set up to see if you see any glaring mis-connections I might have made.
 
I see the phono into pre, pre processor jumped with RCA and pre out to NAD. The NAD gets the speakers to complete this test and it is the control unit. The pre should be on phono, volume set half way up.



LMK
 
If the set up looks correct then I might be in trouble because I’m still not getting anything with the TT. I never thought it could be a problem with the pre amp because I just listened to it 8 to 10 weeks ago. Can I use the NAD as a tuner and run it through the pre amp?
 
The set up does not look correct. The last picture has NO speakers connected and you should have them connected to the receiver.

Yes the receiver can be used as the tuner. We are nowhere close to that.
 
Back
Top Bottom