• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Halloween's approaching- Your top ten scary flicks?

I'll try not to cover ground already trod or slithered over -

The Changeling (George C. Scott)

Phantasm (cast of no one loved by all, Phantasm V filming now)

Night Stalker (Darren McGavin)

The Blob (Steve McQueen)

The Abominable Dr. Phibes (Vincent Price)

Island of Terror (Peter Cushing)

Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (pure & total camp or crap depending on your state of mind)

Wait Until Dark (Audrey Hepburn)

Dementia 13 (Coppola's 1st)

Mr. Sardonicus (William Castle, director of a few previously mentioned films)

Rocky Horror Picture Show (must go to theater for this one)
 
Holst, I saw Shaun of the Dead a couple months ago, and I don't know when I've laughed so hard. It's on my "must own" list...

Good to know, I watched a clip of it on YouTube with a buddy of mine and we were busting guts.
 
The Haunting (1963) with Julie Harris, Claire Bloom, Richard Johnson and Russ Tamblyn. Not gross or overtly creepy. In it the hauntings are implied, (suggested if you will) and it makes for a good unsettling movie.

Excellent movie! :yes: :thmbsp:

More of a suspense movie than a horror movie tho... :scratch2:

Scott
 
Excorsist
Juon:The grudge (first Japanese theatrical version)
The Ring (US version)
Cursed (Japanese movie about a haunted 7-11)
Uzumaki
A Tale of Two Sisters
Legend of Hell house
The Thing (Carpenter)
The Heirloom
Into the Mirror

Lots of goodies out there. I'm loking forward to another spookfest here this October.
Jack
 
Has anyone mentioned Amityville Horror Yet?

... one I've wanted to see, Shaun of the Dead.

Loved it- a great comedy zombie flick! You're gonna love it!

...Being a tad on the "Freaky-Weird" side of the fence....Burnt Offerings....Lost Highway...Twin Peaks...Session Nine...Dead Ringers...VideoDrome...Nightbreed...They Live...In the Mouth of Madness...to name a few....Bill

Bill, I love David Lynch's work, and Cronenburg is excellent too. It's been years since I've seen "Nightbreed", and only one I hadn't seen was "In The Mouth Of Madness".

...Paul I'm glad to know I'm not the only AKer to have seen Audition or Session 9. Tell me, did you ever get to finish Session 9, or are you still hanging?

I'm still hanging.

I know- shame on me.

I'll try not to cover ground already trod or slithered over - ...Wait Until Dark (Audrey Hepburn)... Dementia 13 (Coppola's 1st)

Always wanted to see "Wait Until Dark", and liked Dementia 13 very much.

...Juon:The grudge (first Japanese theatrical version)...The Ring (US version)...Cursed (Japanese movie about a haunted 7-11)...Uzumaki...A Tale of Two Sisters...Legend of Hell house...The Thing (Carpenter)...The Heirloom...Into the Mirror...Lots of goodies out there. I'm loking forward to another spookfest here this October...Jack

Excellent suggestions, Jack. I liked both Japanese and American versions of The Grudge and of The Ring. A Tale of Two Sisters is on my Netflix que. The Thing is another great classic.

Thanks for the other great tips there!
 
All great but my favorite has to be "The Thing" (John Carpenter), saw it in the theatre and was on the edge of my seat the entire movie and why hasn't anyone mentioned "Jaws" probably one of the all-time best scary movies. I'm also partial to all the zombie movies.....
 
Bill, I love David Lynch's work, and Cronenburg is excellent too. It's been years since I've seen "Nightbreed", and only one I hadn't seen was "In The Mouth Of Madness".
Paul, "In the Mouth of Madness" is perhaps one of the better one's on that list. Highly recommended....:yes:


Bill
 
Haven't followed this thread at all, but one of the most frightening films ever made (without blood and gore and guts, and filmed in black and white to boot) is still The Innocents- Deborah Kerr was perfect, the camera angles were inventive, the kids were imminently creepy........
 
the Haunting. Cheesy but damn scary.
Nosferatu.
Alien.
Dr. Strangelove :)
The radio broadcast of "War of the Worlds" still gives me chills.
For scary music, I suggest Stockhausen. "Kontakte" always scares the **** out the kids who come to our place.
 
It is a real stomach clencher. It is hard to picture Audrey Hepburn in a scary film but she did a terrific job playing a blind woman terrorized by thugs after drugs hidden in her flat. Definitely worth seeing.

agreed, that is one suspenseful movie.
 
Being a tad on the "Freaky-Weird" side of the fence....
Burnt Offerings
Lost Highway
Twin Peaks
Session Nine
Dead Ringers
VideoDrome
Nightbreed
They Live
In the Mouth of Madness

to name a few....


Bill

I was going to say Eraserhead, but the pace of that movie is so incredibly slow, by the time they show the hideous little baby thing, you don't really care anymore.

I love David Lynch otherwise. When things were finally coming together on Twin Peaks, I thought that was some scary stuff. But when Lynch summed it all up in Fire Walk With Me, it was spooky and weird but it didn't scare me nearly as much.
 
I was going to say Eraserhead, but the pace of that movie is so incredibly slow, by the time they show the hideous little baby thing, you don't really care anymore.

Who wouldn't be intrigued by -

"Henry Spencer tries to survive his industrial environment, his angry girlfriend, and the unbearable screams of his newly born mutant child." (taken from IMDB)

Unfortunately and despite the great promise of the above, I just didn't feel it in in 1982 when I saw it. Neither did my GF at the time who stayed with me in spite of my suggestion to go see it at all. Eventually she became my wife and "Eraserhead" still comes up once in awhile. I just asked her what she thought of it knowing what her answer would be (as I've heard it many times over the years)......"I thought it was a jumble of images that might eventually get better and make some sense. I thought that right up until it was over." I know it is on most everyone's must see cult film list but I'll take "Harold & Maude" any day. (Which should have made my list initially!) A better effort from Lynch would be "Blue Velvet" which certainly makes you uneasy enough to work at an adult Halloween party. "He put his disease in me................"

blue_velvet.jpg
 
Silent movies are scary. You are forced to stare at the screen since there is only background music and the creeks in the home. If you are an HP Lovecraft fan then The Call of Cthulhu would keep you awake. It’s a modern B/W film made to look like a noir film of the 1920s. It’s sure to get the hairs on your back standing.

http://www.cthulhulives.org/cocmovie/trailer.html
 
Most of my favorites are already here, but one feature needs to be mentioned:

Men Behind the Sun.

The film is horrifying both because of its content (Japanese human experiments in WW2) and because, like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, it is fairly primitively shot, which adds immensely to the creepiness.
It does contain animal violence additionally.

Not an easy viewing, by a long shot.

Best,
C.
 
Back
Top Bottom