• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hana EL vs Nagaoka MP200

CHATRITOR

cattoo
I have the opportunity to buy a used Hana EL from a friend for $200 (~35 hours). I currently run Cambridge Alva duo as my phono preamp, Yamaha AS501 and elac debut 6.2s. Wondering how the cartridge would compare to my current one (mp200) in terms of sound, clarity etc? How does it compare to other famous “entry level” moving coil cartridges (Denon dl110, 103r, micro Benz micro etc) and most importantly is it worth it?
 
Register to hide this ad
Since it's your friend, why not ask if you can try the Hana in your system first? Then you'll know.
the main reason hes selling it is since he rarely returns to hk and uses the setup anymore, he'll be away for another 2 weeks or so before coming back
I wanted to ask around first and see some opinions
 
the main reason hes selling it is since he rarely returns to hk and uses the setup anymore, he'll be away for another 2 weeks or so before coming back
I wanted to ask around first and see some opinions
That's fine as long as others' opinions don't stop you from trying it out in your system first and don't sway you one way or the other. Remember that no living being can positively predict what you'll hear.
 
I have the opportunity to buy a used Hana EL from a friend for $200 (~35 hours). I currently run Cambridge Alva duo as my phono preamp, Yamaha AS501 and elac debut 6.2s. Wondering how the cartridge would compare to my current one (mp200) in terms of sound, clarity etc? How does it compare to other famous “entry level” moving coil cartridges (Denon dl110, 103r, micro Benz micro etc) and most importantly is it worth it?
35-hours of play is not a lot.

The trouble is, most owners have no real idea as to how many hours they have put on their own carts.
 
That's fine as long as others' opinions don't stop you from trying it out in your system first and don't sway you one way or the other. Remember that no living being can positively predict what you'll hear.
I’ll still try it out atleast once before making the purchase, thanks for the advice!
 
35-hours of play is not a lot.

The trouble is, most owners have no real idea as to how many hours they have put on their own carts.
Last time he checked he told me the styli was still very sharp and in good condition, I really don’t know any other way to determine (I can’t see any obvious wear)
 
I have the opportunity to buy a used Hana EL from a friend for $200 (~35 hours). I currently run Cambridge Alva duo as my phono preamp, Yamaha AS501 and elac debut 6.2s. Wondering how the cartridge would compare to my current one (mp200) in terms of sound, clarity etc? How does it compare to other famous “entry level” moving coil cartridges (Denon dl110, 103r, micro Benz micro etc) and most importantly is it worth it?

To my ears, the Nagaoka is the better cartridge despite its elevated frequency extremes. I find the Hana to be a rather laid-back cartridge which lacks a bit of refinement in the high frequencies.
 
Last time he checked he told me the styli was still very sharp and in good condition, I really don’t know any other way to determine (I can’t see any obvious wear)

Just be aware that even a totally worn stylus is still "sharp!" :biggrin:

The only way to check a stylus for wear, is to have it inspected under an appropriate microscope - assessed by reliable eyes that now exactly what to look for.

That is to say that to the untrained eye, a worn stylus and one with only ~35 hours of play, look very, very similar.

Unless you are 100% sure about the condition and play-hours on the used HANA EL, I'd play it safe and spend the $200 on a brand-new DENON DL-110...

Just my 10-cents worth.
 
Just be aware that even a totally worn stylus is still "sharp!" :biggrin:

The only way to check a stylus for wear, is to have it inspected under an appropriate microscope - assessed by reliable eyes that now exactly what to look for.

That is to say that to the untrained eye, a worn stylus and one with only ~35 hours of play, look very, very similar.

Unless you are 100% sure about the condition and play-hours on the used HANA EL, I'd play it safe and spend the $200 on a brand-new DENON DL-110...

Just my 10-cents worth.
110 is $400 new..
I might aswell just save up for something else or an unused Hana SL
 
most importantly is it worth it?

Not sure what it would be worth to you. Have you looked at used prices for sold Hana EL's? If you decided you liked it better than your MP200, how long do you think you would keep it before moving on to another cartridge? Before getting it retipped?
 
A new HANA EL is just over twice the price of a new DENON DL-110.

The DENON can be had for USD $200.00.

What currency are you using?
USD / CNY


Actually there is a denon DL110 onsale for $50 but the needle is nearly fully worn out
How much would a retip cost + perhaps a boron canti?
 
Not sure what it would be worth to you. Have you looked at used prices for sold Hana EL's? If you decided you liked it better than your MP200, how long do you think you would keep it before moving on to another cartridge? Before getting it retipped?
If i liked it better i'd keep it and probably use it until fully worn, might retip it with a boron canti but im probably going to sell it and buy SL once styli is used up (assuming i like the sound)
 
It sounds like you have a good, pragmatic grasp on the situation. If it would be an easy matter to try the cartridge out, eg if both you and your friend have turntables with tonearms that share the same replaceable headshells, like SME/Technics, then you could try to cartridge on your turntable, without any major surgery.
 
We got our beloved DENON DL-110 rebuilt with a boron cantilever and an even smaller nude diamond elliptical stylus.

It now easily challenges the more costly carts we own! (SHELTER 501/2 and DENON DL-103R...)

If I was starting again, I wouldn't hesitate to spend $US200.00 on a brand-spanking DENON DL-110 - look after it and enjoy the 500-hours of replay the stock machine offers - then get the rebuild.

You will never regret it!
 
Last edited:
USD / CNY


Actually there is a denon DL110 onsale for $50 but the needle is nearly fully worn out
How much would a retip cost + perhaps a boron canti?
Upgrade, when it needs it, with boron and a nice ML or Shibata tip would make that Hana a super cart. Though I love MM carts, you'll notice a definite audio seperation with the Hana and would match that preamp you already own. I'm voting for the MC. BTW, with reputable retippers, the boron w/ML is coming in cheaper than just a retip.
 
Back
Top Bottom