• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hana EL vs Nagaoka MP200

We got our beloved DENON DL-110 rebuilt with a boron cantilever and an even smaller nude diamond elliptical stylus.

It now easily challenges the more costly carts we own! (SHELTER 501/2 and DENON DL-103R...)

If I was starting again, I wouldn't hesitate to spend $US200.00 on a brand-spanking DENON DL-110 - look after it and enjoy the 500-hours of replay the stock machine offers - then get the rebuild.

You will never regret it!
If I can find a retipper I'll try it I guess
Why elliptical nude? No Shibata or microline on the 110?
 
Upgrade, when it needs it, with boron and a nice ML or Shibata tip would make that Hana a super cart. Though I love MM carts, you'll notice a definite audio seperation with the Hana and would match that preamp you already own. I'm voting for the MC. BTW, with reputable retippers, the boron w/ML is coming in cheaper than just a retip.
Ill try the EL when he comes back and i'll see how it sounds to me!
 
It sounds like you have a good, pragmatic grasp on the situation. If it would be an easy matter to try the cartridge out, eg if both you and your friend have turntables with tonearms that share the same replaceable headshells, like SME/Technics, then you could try to cartridge on your turntable, without any major surgery.
we both have the stock technics headshell
should work
 
Microline has been my favorite, much better EVERYTHING but that's just my personal opinion, along with a very, very long life especially compared to the ellipticals.....just sayin'.....I like the Hana ML a lot better (with microline stylus) than the SL I had before that (with Shibata). Everyone's taste may differ......carry on, amigos.
 
If I can find a retipper I'll try it I guess
Why elliptical nude? No Shibata or microline on the 110?

I've never used a SHIBATA or a MICROLINE stylus, and I've heard good things about performance and stylus life.

But equally, everyone seems to agree that these two special profiles ALSO require absolutely perfect alignment, whereas the good old elliptical is a bit more forgiving.

In a world where all too often brand-new cartridges arrive with slightly skewed cantilevers, I think perfect alignment is an unattainable pipedream.

Besides, if ELLIPTICAL, SHIBATA and MICROLINE all sound fantastic, my priority then becomes an ultra-quiet ride in the grooves!

Our elliptical styli offer just that! Utterly silent on pristine grooves - and fairly quiet on worn LPs too.

BTW, I've never owned a stylus that has worn-out. Fate always interferes and toasts the cart in some other way - so I'm not too bothered about (alleged) extended stylus lifespans.

As far as I am concerned, if the elliptical sounds fantastic, is more forgiving of set-up (and therefore), quieter in the grooves - and costs WAY less - I can re-tip every 300-500 hours and I'm way ahead.

So, I'm ELLIPTICAL all the way! :biggrin:
 
@CHATRITOR, thanks, what effective mass does Jelco give for that arm, do you know?
sondek is correct, its around 13.5g


Mid ish mass, works with most things pretty well

750d is fluid damped if i am not mistaken, makes the compliance difference a bit more forgiving
I remember the DL110 was relatively high output compared to other MCs
 
Very interesting actually

Do you have his address or contacts? I could reach out to him and see

Also, I see a very popular upgrade being a wooden body for MC carts. do you think that's needed or overkill?

SKYANALOG INTERNATIONAL CARTRIDGE REPAIR

As for wooden bodies for carts, there are other things to try before shelling out that sort of money.

Worth remembering too, that with all these things, there is no one right answer... just people with opinions.

We now run our DENON DL-110 with "cheeks!" There was so much more detail and transparency with the new BORON cantilever, that the cheeks (small slices of regular synthetic dampening with adhesive...) helped to bring back just a smidgen of the original DENON DL-110 warmth and body. Probably our best cart now!

So... There you have (yet) another opinion! :biggrin:

DENON DL-110 BORON with CHEEKS.jpg
 
Last edited:
Hes actually really close to me, I can freely go back to Shenzhen and it’s around a 2 hour drive to jiangmen.


I’m assuming I’d just need a retip + new cantilever? Do people “upgrade” coils or no (I really don’t use mc enough to know)


Also side note, I saw that they did whole upgrades, do you think it’s possible to give my epc100c a overhaul?

I bought one before which had its damping system deteriorated (technics used something I think TTDD or whatever but it had a high chance of deteriorating)
SKYANALOG INTERNATIONAL CARTRIDGE REPAIR

As for wooden bodies for carts, there are other things to try before shelling out that sort of money.

Worth remembering too, that with all these things, there is no one right answer... just people with opinions.

We now run our DENON DL-110 with "cheeks!" So there is another opinion! :biggrin:

I'll post a photo soon, if I can!
 
Best to ask these question of Aaron, at SKYANALOG.

BTW, why not package well and let China's incredible courier service do the hard yards for you? It costs peanuts and everything is delivered with a phone call.

I recall our turnaround from Aaron - who is bloody miles from our home in Hangzhou - was only about 72-hours including the repair!

Have a chat with Aaron - in English - then just sit back and relax!
:beerchug:
 
my priority then becomes an ultra-quiet ride in the grooves!
Interesting, of all the cartridges I've had in play the microline is the very quietest in the grooves(silly quiet, actually), while the ellipticals in my case were the least although still nothing objectionable.
there is no one right answer... just people with opinions.
Amen to that, amigo, amen......your ears are, in the end, the only opinions that will matter a great deal so best to listen to what they "say!"

Back to the original question: I believe you will be well-served to get your friend's Hana and put it on your arm and see how you like it. That's really the only way to know and I hope you'll let us know what you think?
 
Interesting, of all the cartridges I've had in play the microline is the very quietest in the grooves(silly quiet, actually), while the ellipticals in my case were the least although still nothing objectionable.

Amen to that, amigo, amen......your ears are, in the end, the only opinions that will matter a great deal so best to listen to what they "say!"

Back to the original question: I believe you will be well-served to get your friend's Hana and put it on your arm and see how you like it. That's really the only way to know and I hope you'll let us know what you think?

:beerchug:

BTW... Fishead, did anyone ever tell you you look like HARRISON FORD GONE FISHING? :thumbsup:
(I bet you've been called worse... :biggrin:)
 
I've never used a SHIBATA or a MICROLINE stylus, and I've heard good things about performance and stylus life.

But equally, everyone seems to agree that these two special profiles ALSO require absolutely perfect alignment, whereas the good old elliptical is a bit more forgiving.

In a world where all too often brand-new cartridges arrive with slightly skewed cantilevers, I think perfect alignment is an unattainable pipedream.

Besides, if ELLIPTICAL, SHIBATA and MICROLINE all sound fantastic, my priority then becomes an ultra-quiet ride in the grooves!

Our elliptical styli offer just that! Utterly silent on pristine grooves - and fairly quiet on worn LPs too.

BTW, I've never owned a stylus that has worn-out. Fate always interferes and toasts the cart in some other way - so I'm not too bothered about (alleged) extended stylus lifespans.

As far as I am concerned, if the elliptical sounds fantastic, is more forgiving of set-up (and therefore), quieter in the grooves - and costs WAY less - I can re-tip every 300-500 hours and I'm way ahead.

So, I'm ELLIPTICAL all the way! :biggrin:
I understand what you mean exactly. I decided to listen to a Rega 25 for a while and mounted a AT125LC I had for years. Although there was the clarity, detail, etc., it had that clinical AT sound that was more Compact Disc than anything. I decided to try an older AT14Sa I had and removed the AT125LC. The sound was more along the lines of the best of a V15 Type V but terrible with the noise of the grove that the Line Contact did not have. The AT14Sa is a Shibata and I even tried a brand-new stylus I had with the same results. Part of the problem was I could not raise the tone-arm to get the correct VTA. Last night my son installed a Goldbug Clement II I have and loaded it at 90 Ohms. I think it has found a home for the moment. The cartridge playing height at 1.3 grams was suitable for the Rega tonearm. Quiet and toe-tapping!
 
BTW... Fishead, did anyone ever tell you you look like HARRISON FORD GONE FISHING? :thumbsup:
(I bet you've been called worse... :biggrin:)
Hahahaha! Thank you for the compliment and yes, I've been called a lot of "worse" things :rflmao: AND, nobody has ever pulled a sword on me!!!!
Quiet and toe-tapping!
Ahhhh.....now that's what it should be! Happy listening, amigo.....
 
Best to ask these question of Aaron, at SKYANALOG.

BTW, why not package well and let China's incredible courier service do the hard yards for you? It costs peanuts and everything is delivered with a phone call.

I recall our turnaround from Aaron - who is bloody miles from our home in Hangzhou - was only about 72-hours including the repair!

Have a chat with Aaron - in English - then just sit back and relax!
:beerchug:
Just did, confirmed everything with him and the cost for a boron + EN stylus is $225 (1650 CNY, exchange rate should be approx that)


Seems good to me, I really wish someone in Hong Kong can let me demo the dl110 so I can test the sound once first

My styli is very worn so it’s only a small fraction of the potential, I want to experience it at max atleast once just for safety
 
Just did, confirmed everything with him and the cost for a boron + EN stylus is $225 (1650 CNY, exchange rate should be approx that)


Seems good to me, I really wish someone in Hong Kong can let me demo the dl110 so I can test the sound once first

My styli is very worn so it’s only a small fraction of the potential, I want to experience it at max at least once just for safety

The DENON DL-110 is a beautifully balanced High Output MC cartridge that seems to be universally popular. It has been in production for more than six decades, so that tells you something.

No it is not going to give the best $US500-$700 cartridge a hiding, but for $US200 it is still the best sounding budget cartridge we have heard.

It is forgiving of less-than-perfect alignment, tracks superbly, is VERY quiet in the grooves and provides loads of MC articulation and sparkle - all without being bright or fatiguing. The bass is deep, weighty and quick, without being of the cyborg variety - which is not for us anyway. The mid-range is slightly more projected and a bit warm.

The great thing about the baby Denon is the overall balance... It all just comes together so nicely. Nothing sticks out IYKWIM!

Best of all, the baby DENON only needs about 1.6g of VTF, which is kind to precious vinyl grooves!

Its only sins are sins of omission, which means that more costly carts can sound more transparent, dynamic and revealing... but there is a price to be paid for that with typically less forgiveness of existing groove-wear.

The other downside of a brand-new DENON DL-110 is that it sounds pretty dreadful for the first few hours of replay. Ours sounded so bad, my wife suggested we just bin it.
(Err... I don't think so, Honey... :biggrin: )

After about 10-hours play, the DENON DL-110 came into its final sound and really didn't change thereafter. If we had not had a disaster at 150-hours of replay - which bent the cantilever - we would still be very much enjoying the stock DENON DL-110 and spending our money (instead) on pristine original all-analog pressings.

The DENON DL-110 with BORON cantilever and (even) smaller elliptical nude diamond stylus propelled this transcriber into the big league. It now contends with any of the three carts we have - SHELTER 501/2 and DENON DL-103R being the others - and is probably our current favourite. At this level, personal taste comes into play - which is why you can see that we chose to put "cheeks" on ours. Someone else - chasing each and every little musical nuance - might decide not to install cheeks.

How do you like YOUR steak? You get to decide, right? :thumbsup:

I hope this helps you along...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom