• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Happy July 4th to you tomorrow, and one question?

Happy July 4th to all Americans tomorrow, from rain soaked Wales.

My question is, is this the United States's most revered holiday, Independence Day excluding Religious Holidays, (as this may contravene the rules)? I was under the impression it was.

We obviously don't have that holiday, but Labour Day has always been the day I revere most.

Yep with Thanksgiving a close second. Labor day is a big one in my world for the traditional reasons.
 
Happy 4th to all of my fellow Americans!

And a heart-felt "THANKS!" to the non-Americans who have posted well wishes!
Let's keep the international brotherhood growing!
 
Bogle, probably Independence Day, Memorial Day, Veteran's Day and Labor Day are revered as secular, strictly US national holidays. Many other holidays have a religious background or are internationally celebrated.

About 10 years ago I was taught a lesson by a Russian immigrant to the USA. In November I asked him if he celebrated Thanksgiving, to which he became indignant,saying, "Of course, I am an American!"

The USA is basically a country built by immigrants, everything from railroads to nuclear weapons. There is much more emigration in these times, but I suppose The USA was the first to do it on such a scale.

Every now and then I meet someone with some distant roots in the USA, proudly reciting lineage back to the Daughters of the American Revolution (which does not impress), but here we're all just a bunch of immigrants, except for one indigenous ethnic group...
 
It's the most important National Holiday to me.

IndependenceDay2012.jpg
 
I'd say up north, circa Minnesota, Labor day is pretty big since its starts the count down to Winter. We have to start collecting and storing all the acorns we can find...

My dog hates the Fourth of July, so I guess that drops it on my list....

.dew.
 
Every now and then I meet someone with some distant roots in the USA, proudly reciting lineage back to the Daughters of the American Revolution (which does not impress), but here we're all just a bunch of immigrants, except for one indigenous ethnic group...

Well, they stretch their heritage back a while further, that's all. They are immigrants like us, just in a different way.

Says a lot about this place that people actually want to uproot their lives and history to come here.

.dew.
 
The 4th of July for me is a day (like today) when I want to run errands after work and find out that most of the businesses are closed. --that's about it.

I've never had a job that recognized the holiday, so I don't really either.
 
I donated to a charity who's purpose is job creation.

I slept late today because I work tonight. Anyway, the festivities are tonight.

I got to sit back, wash my car, donate to a good cause and watch Star Trek Deep Space 9 today.

Good enough for me.

:thmbsp:
 
I moved here 10 years ago from SE London, and it always amazes me how many people have to work on this "holiday". My wife works in healthcare, and she has to work tomorrow and take a day off elsewhere. No extra pay, no day and a half off, nothing.

When I worked in London, we would always get the hols off (not the 4th obviously). I have to explain to Americans what Boxing Day is, and they all think it is a good idea to have another day off after Christmas Day. Then of course, if Christmas follows or precedes the weekend, you get a four day weekend. And that's not even getting started on the flexi-time where I used to work, where you accumulated hours to get a day off.

Lee.

P.S. Nice Cossie in your avatar? Yours?

SE London, eh, remember it well. South Jersey must seem like heaven. And yes, Boxing Day is a boon.

Thanks to all, it is as I partly expected. Holidays, etc. seem more to be a "generational appreciation" of whatever holiday it is, though I was surprised to find that a lot of people had to work the 4th July and not get days off/pay in lieu.

Seems it has changed a lot since growing up in many parts of North America in the 50s and 60s (those days when children were expected to be seen and not heard). We always celebrated an "imminent holiday" the evening before though during the day itself, were mindful of that days significance. For instance, rarely did you see someone washing a car in the neighbourhood, usually done a day before.

Then there is that monster called RETAIL, (remember that only too well), where all days seem to flow into one. With advent of internet sales, more frequent recessions, and "out of town shopping" I knew it was time to get out and do something else.

The cossie? This one is a library pic, but yes, D900 PBW was my company chariot in 86 and whilst it wasn't the most expensive, was the best performing car I drove. Used to get stopped by the police just so they could look under the bonnet. We had manufacturing, marketing and a small chain of you guessed it - Hi Fi stores. Did high miles so went through a lot of cars. You may remember Ram Speakers, Michell, RAP, Absolute Sound and Video, Bristol Hi Fi Show, etc..

Thanks for your replies, and I realise that I am not the odd one out in seeing some holidays differently. Family culture and experiences, is nowadays seeing holidays differently.

Regards
Pete
 
Oh yea!

Not just the pure celebration of the birth of this great nation of ours but all the good and decent things that it has given us United States citizens, specifically our.....FREEDOM!


GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.!

Happy 4th of July eveyone!

It's especially revered by me as my (and my twin sister's) b'day is the 6th. Every year since the dawn of time (for me!) I see fireworks and free concerts in St. Louis, and usually get started with the festivities around the 4th. So, yes, for me and mine, very significant!:banana:
 
Okay, I know I'm dredging up a REALLY old thread, but I needed a place to post this picture. It's a screen shot of a construction site near me:

Flying the Flag.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom