• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Harbeth Owners Thread

I'm designing speaker stands for them from Philippine Mahogany, to match the cosmetics of my equipment rack. A design question is, should the stands have a solid top plate or should the speakers' bottom panel be exposed to the room? Most speaker manufacturers' photos of stands for lossy cabinet speakers show an open steel frame with contact to the speaker only at corner points.

I think the theory is the bottom panel resonates like the other panels (by design) and adds to the overall sound in the room. A flat plate would choke that contribution off.

I use Sound Anchor stands specifically built for Harbeth speakers. They are three post stands, not there is no full bottom plate…just the pillars and a bar between them. All other things being equal, I would leave the stand open.

Congrats on the Super HL5+. I think you will be very pleased.
 
The temptation to sell every single speaker I own (and still I have way too many after years of selling) and lock in on one very serious pair of two ways is so strong.

Closing in on 50, I'm now refocusing on quality instead of a big house full of ****.

Harbeths, Rogers L3/5, etc are beckoning. Always loved two ways.

Harbeth's are great, can't really go wrong there. Also, give a listen to the Revels. The M126Be is one of the best small 2 ways out there, and the M106 is great as well - at a more affordable price point.
 
Found these at IKEA that should work as speaker stands for the Harbeth SHL5s for now. $55 USD a pair and 465 mm tall although the top buttons without the wood box are 210x165 which is a bit small for the 322x300 bottom panel.

VANILJSTÅNG Plant stand

IKEA stand 1.jpg IKEA stand 2.jpg IKEA stand 3.jpg IKEA stand top button.jpg
 
No traffic…interesting. I don’t own any at present but have enjoyed several pair in the past. Great speakers.
 
I was thinking the same thing. I was speculating (to myself) that there were at least two reasons. First, the Harbeths are relatively current speakers, and secondly they are not inexpensive. To me they are a high quality, long term solution in the right system/room. But I don’t think many will put them in the big bang-for-the-buck, vintage speaker category.
 
Seems like this thread is lurking in the background because of the search function being inactive at this time?

So I will dig it out and chime in with my C7-ES3-XD in beautiful japanese tamo esh veneer (only option that was available at the time), purchased right after the hifi shops were allowed to open again after the lockdown. Still had to wear a mask during auditioning. The sound is simply wonderful throughout the whole range, soundstage is amazing, no real need for a subwoofer in my modest space.

I had the option at the time to get Croft Integrated Phono with them, or another, much more powerful amp (class D). Still kicking myself for not going with the Croft, although I'm perfectly content with the sound actually and would describe it as just perfect :crazy:
I guess if I went with the Croft I'd be lusting after 100Wpc class D. Maybe someday I'll get to compare both approaches (tube-MOSFET hybrid and class D) at home and then the issue will be finally resolved for me, but until then I just keep asking myself: what if...

View media item 30159
View media item 30160
 
So..in my quest for new speakers, my top 2 contenders are:

Vandersteen Treo CT
Sonus Faber Olympica Nova III

I may have an opportunity to purchase an open box pair of 40.3 XD at a great price. I cannot audition them, however may have a 60 day return window (local sale so no shipping costs involved

Are the 40.3XD as great as everyone says they are?
 
So..in my quest for new speakers, my top 2 contenders are:

Vandersteen Treo CT
Sonus Faber Olympica Nova III

I may have an opportunity to purchase an open box pair of 40.3 XD at a great price. I cannot audition them, however may have a 60 day return window (local sale so no shipping costs involved

Are the 40.3XD as great as everyone says they are?
Yes, they are a fabulous speaker.
 
So..in my quest for new speakers, my top 2 contenders are:

Vandersteen Treo CT
Sonus Faber Olympica Nova III

I may have an opportunity to purchase an open box pair of 40.3 XD at a great price. I cannot audition them, however may have a 60 day return window (local sale so no shipping costs involved

Are the 40.3XD as great as everyone says they are?

Yes. An emphatic yes.
 
So..in my quest for new speakers, my top 2 contenders are:

Vandersteen Treo CT
Sonus Faber Olympica Nova III

I may have an opportunity to purchase an open box pair of 40.3 XD at a great price. I cannot audition them, however may have a 60 day return window (local sale so no shipping costs involved

Are the 40.3XD as great as everyone says they are?
Have heard Harbeth 40s and I'd go with the Vandersteens.
 
Years ago I heard a pair of Compact 7s playing at the local hifi shop that I had just walked in to look around. They were driven by Quad electronics and played a piece of classical chamber music. Until that moment I had never cared much for Harbeth speakers, thinking they looked a bit old-fashioned. However, the speakers sounded so natural, so completely free from any stress, with the music just flowing into the room, that I was immediately in love. I still hope to own a pair sooner or later, but I’m actually a bit worried about the price increases, they seem to increase faster than I can save. Each new version, from the ‘standard’ models to the 40th Anniversary to the XD series, comes with a very considerable price increase. Perhaps it’s due to Brexit, I don’t know, but it’s a shame to see them moving out of reach.
 
Years ago I heard a pair of Compact 7s playing at the local hifi shop that I had just walked in to look around. They were driven by Quad electronics and played a piece of classical chamber music. Until that moment I had never cared much for Harbeth speakers, thinking they looked a bit old-fashioned. However, the speakers sounded so natural, so completely free from any stress, with the music just flowing into the room, that I was immediately in love. I still hope to own a pair sooner or later, but I’m actually a bit worried about the price increases, they seem to increase faster than I can save. Each new version, from the ‘standard’ models to the 40th Anniversary to the XD series, comes with a very considerable price increase. Perhaps it’s due to Brexit, I don’t know, but it’s a shame to see them moving out of reach.

I think they hold their value pretty well, used, but don't be afraid to buy used! I've bought very few audio pieces as new and have generally had great luck/experience. I think at one point I had new/retail like $200k+ worth of gear in my house but I probably had more like $20k spent. I've downsized considerably, but still couldn't/wouldn't have purchased my main speakers or amp at new prices.
 
Back
Top Bottom