• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Harmon Kardon Confusion

Plitron

Well-Known Member
Banned
I bought this Harmon Kardon for $10.00 As-Is and it all works. It is not by any means what I would consider, one of Harmon Kardon's shining achievements. But worth the ten bucks no less. What on earth is the digital input on the back ???:sigh::no::sigh:
 

Attachments

  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 26.JPG
    26.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 28.JPG
    28.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 29.JPG
    29.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 30.JPG
    30.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 81
Register to hide this ad
Rest of Pics.
 

Attachments

  • 38.JPG
    38.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 36.JPG
    36.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 33.JPG
    33.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 31.JPG
    31.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 39.JPG
    39.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 46
Since it's an Audio Video Receiver, it will switch both sound picture from various sources and send it to speakers and to a display. If you can figure out the settings for the speakers, it may be a decent machine for 2 channel stereo. Some AV Receivers are pretty good. Usually set to 2 channel stereo and "Big" front right and left speakers.

The digital in is just taht from a DVD player or some such. There are different formats for optical cable termination and you have two common ones. The same kind you'd use to go from transport to external DAC to receiver or pre-amp :)
 
Thank you, I see all of the video inputs on the back, but that one that says digital input is stumping me.:no:
 
It will take either an RCA Coaxial or a Toslink Optical output from a CD or DVD player and use the internal processor for sound modes and subwoofer crossover without an intervening stage of analog to digital conversion. This uit also should decode Dolby Digital (but not DTS) from a DVD soundtrack for true discreet surround sound.
 
It's co-ax digital and optical digital. It's an audio only stream input I think. Can you download the manual from H-K?
 
Thank you :yes:
Sounds like it would not be good enough for a new Blu-Ray though right? :)
 
Depends on the audio output format of the BluRay disc.

Also, iMacs can do optical digital input and output from their internal sound card....so if you've got one, get yourself an adapter and you can probably do some very interesting things with it...
 
"Since it's an Audio Video Receiver, it will switch both sound picture from various sources and send it to speakers and to a display. If you can figure out the settings for the speakers, it may be a decent machine for 2 channel stereo. Some AV Receivers are pretty good. Usually set to 2 channel stereo and "Big" front right and left speakers".

"The digital in is just taht from a DVD player or some such. There are different formats for optical cable termination and you have two common ones. The same kind you'd use to go from transport to external DAC to receiver or pre-amp

It will take either an RCA Coaxial or a Toslink Optical output from a CD or DVD player and use the internal processor for sound modes and subwoofer crossover without an intervening stage of analog to digital conversion. This uit also should decode Dolby Digital (but not DTS) from a DVD soundtrack for true discreet surround sound".

"It's co-ax digital and optical digital. It's an audio only stream input I think. Can you download the manual from H-K"?


You guys are a wealth of knowledge.
Plitron -> :ntwrthy::beerchug: <- AK'ers
 
If you want a real shock try sending their tech support an email and ask a question. You'll have an answer within an hour! They have actual live people working 24/7 365 days a year. :yes: Harmon's tech support is second to none and it's the main reason why I stick with them for my home theater gear.
 
"If you want a real shock try sending their tech support an email and ask a question. You'll have an answer within an hour! They have actual live people working 24/7 365 days a year. Harmon's tech support is second to none and it's the main reason why I stick with them for my home theater gear".

WOW !!! :yikes::yikes::yikes:
 
I've become quite the Harman Kardon fan over the last year; I bought an AVR-247 HT receiver off their eBay store and was really blown away by the quality. I've since acquired a vintage PM655 integrated amp and FL8300 CD changer, and am watching the auctions and C-list for a suitable HK turntable.
It appears that virtually every HK product made still has full specs, owner's manual and service manual available on their site for download.
Also, don't be fooled by the apparently modest specs of their electronics. Harman Kardon is famous for conservative ratings and painfully honest specifications. That PM655 amp, for instance, while rated at 60 watts RMS has 45 amps per channel peak current. Their AVRs are spec'd with all channels driven; most manufacturers spec for only two channels driven at a time, which minimizes the tested load on their inadequate power supplies.

edit: I should really talk down their turntables, at least until I score mine. I don't need the competition on the auctions...
 
I am thinking that my particular unit, the AVR35 is one of their cheap ones.
What'cha Think? :beer::lurk:
 
"From my observations H/K never had "cheap ones". They all have the same quality but the lower models just had less features".


FAR OUT !!! I feel good !!! :banana::banana::banana:

I'm keepin this baby then.
 
Yeah, You are right, Vega, I found the manual online tonight. I was shocked that the thing had a manual. I had the old Harmon Kardon tube amps years ago. But I thought surely they had gone to hell like Advent, and some of the other manufacturers. So it is nice to hear that H&K still makes good stuff. Thanks:yes:
 
I have a low dollar avr 146 ht receiver. Its only rated for 30 wpc RMS. + - 25 amps.

Very clean sounding unit. With plenty of bass using my monitor 9 v.3 Paradigms. Ive had it going on 2 years and its still going strong.

BTW it has 10 decibals of headroom at full rated power. Ive yet to year it struggle. Even with the volume at 0 db. Much too loud for a night at the movies...hehehI like it.

EDIT---ive got the pm 655 as well, Nice to see the amperage on it. Makes me want to hook it up more than ever before now.
 
Back
Top Bottom