• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Has anyone else seen the new ebay slogan???

Register to hide this ad
Just saw an ebay commercial on TV that quoted their new slogan. In case anyone was still questioning where the new business model was headed, here it is:

"Buy it new, buy it now"

Here's an article talking about how many people are none too happy about it.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/11...rebranding-angers-devoted-used-goods-sellers/

The thing is that Amazon's business model has become the one to beat and is so ridiculously successful that eBay is losing tens of thousands to them every HOUR. I mean, when I check CDs, DVDs, and other stuff on the bay I cross reference it to Amazon and it's almost always cheaper there. Plus, people are running out of old s*** to sell. Ebay could only hope to have the business Amazon does, and never will because they have alienated all their sellers - including ones with the new stuff. And once again eBay is polishing the brass on the Titanic while alienating, once again, the people that made them big. They have no idea what their identity is in 2012. Go figure...
 
dude...you guys seen the new "list it" beta???

WOW
CWMop.png


what idiot came up with that stupid idea????

makes it so difficult to list anything and worst of all...theres no opt-out
CWMop.png
 
I like this one better...

"We'll charge our sellers up the a$$, then report them to the IRS."

I see ebay attempting to change into amazon more and more. With all the new "rules" on ebay, I see more and more vendors at the flea markets.

Probably 95% of ebay sellers, start on ebay to sell old junk...not to become a corporation like Wal Mart...I know I am one...Amazing, I can sell 50 items a day on ebay, and at the end of the day I am lucky to have made 50$.

eBay will cause its own death.
 
The thing is that Amazon's business model has become the one to beat and is so ridiculously successful that eBay is losing tens of thousands to them every HOUR. I mean, when I check CDs, DVDs, and other stuff on the bay I cross reference it to Amazon and it's almost always cheaper there. Plus, people are running out of old s*** to sell. Ebay could only hope to have the business Amazon does, and never will because they have alienated all their sellers - including ones with the new stuff. And once again eBay is polishing the brass on the Titanic while alienating, once again, the people that made them big. They have no idea what their identity is in 2012. Go figure...

^^^^^^^What he said. Except I don't think people are running out of s*** - it's just that, at least in audio there are better places...like, oh, I dunno...THIS ONE?:thmbsp:

Jeez...and I thought ebay was bad when Meg Whitman ran the place...
 
They also should crack down on the blatant shill bidding. Nothing worse then seeing an item listed at say 4:00 PM and 2 minutes later there is a bid by a someone who has a history with the seller.

Another issue is when the seller gets stuck with item cause no one out bid their shill's and it shows up a week later relisted.

I dislike eBay and getting to that point with CL, at least here locally. Thank goodness Spring is around the corner and the subsequent yard/tag/rummage/estate sales that will soon be popping up.
 
well... If you got stuff that is at least 20 years old, go on over to Etsy and sell there..

CHEAP fees, lots of great buyers and sellers... It's just starting to pick up there with stereo gear...

My wife has been selling on there a couple years now and has been doing well with no problems with buyers..
 
eBay is the greatest thing that ever happened to sites like Craig's List and Etsy... and one of the best examples you could find of how to make a sow's ear out of a silk purse full of money.

Maybe they're right and they'll end up making more money this way, but I can't help but think that all they're doing is opening the door for other people to pick up the market that they're abandoning --the small, individual sellers. That's where CL, Etsy, Audiogon and other "niche" players can come in and take up the slack. Less hassle, easier to list, and friendly to the little guy. I thought one of the great advantages of the computer and the Internet is that it lowered the cost enough for the little guy to access a big market. Some sites, fortunately, still focus on that.

I don't accept that somehow all the little stuff has disappeared because it has already been sold on eBay. For everything sold, there is a buyer. That buyer --or his/her heirs-- eventually becomes a seller. People's tastes change, their financial circumstances change, their priorities change, and they die...all reasons to (re)sell. Also, brand new things are bought that gradually become old things. People "upgrade" stuff and have previous versions to sell. There will ALWAYS be old stuff around that someone wants to clear out. It may not be the exact SAME stuff, as gradually things break or wear out or get destroyed in disasters, but there will always be old stuff around that someone no longer wants, and therefore always a certain supply of goods for a market like eBay.

They didn't HAVE to change their focus to larger-scale suppliers of new stuff. They didn't HAVE to try to be Amazon. But they decided to.

To some extent, I think maybe they did "have to", though, because Amazon added a feature for smaller sellers to sell USED items, as well. With that one relatively simple stroke, they must have cut deeply into the eBay market.

Sadly, though, eBay's response has been to try to become Amazon and focus primarily on the bigger sellers of newer stuff, instead of trying to build on their strengths as a better place for the smaller, individual seller. OF course, it's easier and less expensive and more profitable to serve fewer, larger sellers than more, smaller ones... but only if you are competitive in that market.

The real question is... does the Internet need more than one of each type of channel, or is it (are we) best served by one semi-monopolistic seller? Is a single, unified marketplace more efficient and/or effective than a more splintered one, given the ease of the net interface to sub-divide things? Should AK have so many separate forums? More, or fewer? :D
 
Awhile back Wired magazine ran a feature story that explained the demise of the Internet auction, citing in part a decline in the "novelty" of the auction format itself. Here's a link: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/05/ff_endofauction/all/1

I used to sell quite a bit on eBay. I don't do it as much anymore. Around 2007/08 the market seemed to go soft on a lot of the stuff I sold (not just audio items). Economy heading south surely played a part in it but it was around this time that eBay also started making some changes that i think turned off buyers as much as sellers.

Still, it remains the best place for me to sell certain items. For example I sold an old model airplane kit there the other day. Not sure where else I would have been able to put that up for auction and made money off my $5 investment.

It was a much cooler place when it was all just old/used/weird stuff.
 
I've been on there since like 1997 or so.

That CEO arse is the cause behind it all. Meg knew what was up. And when to get out...

Nobody will/can beat Amazon. eBay just looks stupid trying.

I still get enough sales to make it worth doing. Fargin redonkulous fee fisting or not.

ETSY is poised to rock ebay's world.
 
Hey ebay: How about dividing yourself into "ebay classic" with the same old Meg rules for collectables and "ebay neo" for the Amazon crowd?
 
dude...you guys seen the new "list it" beta???

WOW
CWMop.png


what idiot came up with that stupid idea????

makes it so difficult to list anything and worst of all...theres no opt-out
CWMop.png

Is that was that was? I wasn't sure what it was, thought it was a newbie path of some kind. I clicked on sell one like this as I do from time to time and it took me to the new form. It was indeed terrible. And no way to get it to use my own description template. No way to get from that form to the old listing agent. After trying to use it I eventually gave up, went back into my sold list and clicked relist or sell similar and it gave me the old form. If that new list it beta is their future I think I'm done.
 
I still sell items there and I still buy items there. I do check Amazon and other online sites but for selling items like my Old Amiga Computers or tube items Ebay works very well for me.
 
Hey ebay: How about dividing yourself into "ebay classic" with the same old Meg rules for collectables and "ebay neo" for the Amazon crowd?

Meg was no queen, and pretty much set the whole thing up so her and a few select people would get the spoils. She has been gone only a few years and most of these shenanigans were in the making. eBay stopped being community friendly in 2006 or so.
 
It makes sense to try and rebrand eBay as not just an old used second hand store.

If sellers of new help recharge eBay profits, then it it could potentially help sellers of old perhaps by keeping fees stable.

On the flip side, sellers of new could possibly start complaining that they are subsidizing the vintage sellers and they should get more breaks. Somebody's always going to be unhappy.

From a buyer perspective, I like choices. I shop Amazon mostly new and some used, but I'll also shop eBay for mostly used and some new. I like a fairly consolidated one-stop shopping experience where I don't have to go to a lot of individual company sites and create new accounts.

If the selection is equal as well as the feedback ratings, then I may give the nod to eBay if there is no sales tax involved. If the shipment is fulfilled by Amazon, then I may give the nod to Amazon.
 
dude...you guys seen the new "list it" beta???

WOW
CWMop.png


what idiot came up with that stupid idea????

makes it so difficult to list anything and worst of all...theres no opt-out
CWMop.png


:scratch2:

I just ran a "test Listing".....whats the problem ? ?
...I just ignore the drop down windows,and it's pretty much the same as before.
Looks a little different,potentially helpful and faster if you don't sell a lot.
:dunno:
 
well... If you got stuff that is at least 20 years old, go on over to Etsy and sell there...

I reviewed Etsy and, frankly, I'm puzzled. The categories offered are vague and jumbled. There is no designated category for vintage audio or stereos. The closest would be radios and TVs under vintage electronics. Mixed in with those listings are a bunch of overpriced, run-of-the-mill LPs and 45s. The site needs some serious editing and reorganization.
 
Back
Top Bottom