• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Has anyone tried to unwarp a vinyl using a heated bed of a 3D Printer?

arumakojr

New Member
As the title says, I was looking for ways to unwarp a vinyl, and came across the idea, I wasn't sure if anyone has tried this method before...I did a bit of research but got nothing back, I have couple a of heavily scratched and warped vinyl that I wanted to try this method on, but wanted to see if any of you had an experience before I venture into the unknown.
 
Register to hide this ad
Correcting warps is a tricky business at best. It can be done in some cases, not so much in others depending on the magnitude of the warp as well as the nature or location of it. Edge warps seem to be the toughest to flatten and I've not been able to have much success with them. Temperature is critical.....too little and you don't get much movement, while too much can totally ruin the record so I'd venture a guess that your idea will require a lot of trial and error. I found that somewhere around 120deg. F was about as high as you want to go, and then for not terribly long periods of time so in essence there is a heat-up, cool-down cycle. You can have a look at this thread and find some useful information about the process. I found, using my method, that it is not a quick fix kind of thing and generally takes some time. Let us know how you do amigo.....

 
I wouldn't try it.
One thing to consider is that records are not completely flat.
The label area is taller than the playing surface and on many
older ones, the outer rim is taller as well.
There is no guarantee that the heat would be dispersed evenly
enough across the entire record to avoid additional damage.

If they are properly stored, there is a chance that the warps
could work themselve out. I have records that I bought new
last year that had substantial warps, that have settled to
acceptible levels.
 
Heat and pressure seem to be the usual suggestions, usually both at once. If the records are already trash, give it a shot. Worst case you still have a trashed record that has some extra problems.
 
hi,
I used the Summer Florida heat and two flat 20" tiles for 3 hours and let cool down by itself. Result are good not 100% flat but very acceptable.
should I measure the temp. for better data.
AG.
 
I would advise to get Audio Technica AT666EX vacuum mat. I use them more than 20 years. But keep in mind you need tonearm what has enough adjustment range to set correct VTA on this. There are vinyl flatteners, but they are expensive. I do not advice to use anything what is not designed for this purpose. It does not work correctly (including baking under glass etc. and so on).
 
I have flattened over 20. Two panes of glass. Oven temperature @130. Use a laser to monitor, and have a thin black piece of metal in the oven to use as your monitor piece.
I had a thread on it. As mentioned above, you can ruin one in a hurry if you heat it over 140. The objective to flatten the record may distort the grooves you flattened. I have seen some strange results. Also seen perfect results.
The thicker albums take longer and are less susceptible to being killed. Thin ones are flimsy and can take half the time. I usually give about one and a half hours on a thick one, maybe an hour on a lightweight.
 
I have flattened over 20. Two panes of glass. Oven temperature @130. Use a laser to monitor, and have a thin black piece of metal in the oven to use as your monitor piece.
I had a thread on it. As mentioned above, you can ruin one in a hurry if you heat it over 140. The objective to flatten the record may distort the grooves you flattened. I have seen some strange results. Also seen perfect results.
The thicker albums take longer and are less susceptible to being killed. Thin ones are flimsy and can take half the time. I usually give about one and a half hours on a thick one, maybe an hour on a lightweight.

One question - why? Vacuum stabilizer is much better option.
 
IMO it's far from average! In fact, good enough to justify a $2K cartridge.
and it is simply amazing over warps; amazing

Amazing over warps? Are there sound effect when this arm jumps over them? Really, B&O tables are not more than average. Even those linear trackers. Nothing personal :)
 
One question - why? Vacuum stabilizer is much better option.

Hey @radiokom! I get the feeling that you really like that vacuum stabilizer and would like to know where one might be able to get one? I looked around and found only a couple used ones on ebay, the cheapest of which was $346 and who knows about condition??!! There is rubber involved and over time, that can be an issue. Have you experienced any hardening of those rubber pods, or a lessening of the vacuum pressure/time held?

So, one answer to your question might be that not everyone can find one, and when they do, it might be beyond their means to easily afford such a thing. I'm guessing that is why some of us have taken to the flattening process using weight, heat, glass, and time......which is likely a more affordable approach for many although admittedly the results are sometimes far from perfect or even acceptable. I'm not sure what I would do if one of my prized, favorite, and perhaps even valuable records showed evidence of a warp......that would be something of a conundrum amigo! Probably call you to come over and help me out!!!:beerchug:
 
There is rubber involved and over time, that can be an issue. Have you experienced any hardening of those rubber pods, or a lessening of the vacuum pressure/time held?

Aha! This rubber really ages well. It holds vacuum well until now (I have 2 platters and use them both because I want to be sure about rubber).
Another option is to buy this one:


ORB looks good. But - maybe try to find 666? It is cheaper ;)
And you never be sure after ORB your record will be perfectly flat. Vinyl is strange thing.
But with vacuum stabilizer I am sure it is flat!
 
so it might work, but again, where the heck do you find one? Things that have been out of production for decades aren't exactly the most viable solution. Two panes of glass and a source of heat is a whole lot easier to source for those of us who lack a time machine.
 
Two panes of glass and a source of heat is a whole lot easier to source for those of us who lack a time machine

And is the shortest way to spoil your vinyl. Do you know the definition of quackery? It is an "operation with quantities whose meaning is not clear". ;)
If you will be patient you will find what you need.
 
Vinyl is strange thing.

For sure that's true, and I would guess that ANY method to flatten the vinyl would come with the risks talked about here but sometimes taking chances, especially with otherwise throw-away records, is helpful from an experimental perspective and therefore at times justifiable. Just my opinion.....which seems to jive with:

@gadget73's "Two panes of glass and a source of heat is a whole lot easier to source for those of us who lack a time machine." Notwithstanding, I would LOVE to have a time machine......go right back to when my ears were about 60 years younger and stereo was the latest, greatest thing in audio! Ahhhh.....reminds me of that Little River Band song, "Reminiscing" I think it's called......carry on, gents.....

Monsieur @radiokom, I'm wondering if the Vacuum Stabilizer you use can make those nasty edge warps flat? So far, I have found NOTHING that will get them to flatten because (1) they are so close to the edge of the record and (2) usually amount to no more than about an inch of a "bump" in the record. That "bump" unfortunately often generates quite enough upward thrust to send an entire tonearm into orbit.....which isn't the worst part, but coming back down with significant force could, theoretically, spell impending doom for some unsuspecting cartridge/cantilever/stylus, eh?
 
Last edited:
Amazing over warps? Are there sound effect when this arm jumps over them? Really, B&O tables are not more than average. Even those linear trackers. Nothing personal :)
Here's an old clip from 14 years ago (forgive the quality of the video) of my TX-2 tracking a very warped record. Can you hear any sound effects as the stylus tracks the warp?
 
I went down this rabbit hole 8 years ago in this old thread if anyone is interested. The picture links are broken.
My determination was severe warps can be flattened, but the records are still unplayable because the grooves will be distorted. Improvement was hit or miss with slight to moderate warping, but worsening was also likely. So for me it’s play the playable records and replace the goners.
 
Using a printer bed sounds like it might work if it's large enough and in a sealed, draft free enclosure. An equal sized, heavy top plate for flattening would have to be preheated along with the bed. I guess it depends on the printer model, but my main concern would be that the edges of the bed won't get as hot as the center. I think the ideal is the bed temp should be uniform throughout, so a lengthy warm up might be in order.
 
Back
Top Bottom