• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Has anyone tried to unwarp a vinyl using a heated bed of a 3D Printer?

so it might work, but again, where the heck do you find one? Things that have been out of production for decades aren't exactly the most viable solution. Two panes of glass and a source of heat is a whole lot easier to source for those of us who lack a time machine.
Yahoo. I’ve three - bad valves on each.
 
Herr @radiokom, I'm wondering if the Vacuum Stabilizer you use can make those nasty edge warps flat? So far, I have found NOTHING that will get them to flatten because (1) they are so close to the edge of the record and (2) usually amount to no more than about an inch of a "bump" in the record. That "bump" unfortunately often generates quite enough upward thrust to send an entire tonearm into orbit.....which isn't the worst part, but coming back down with significant force could, theoretically, spell impending doom for some unsuspecting cartridge/cantilever/stylus, eh?

Yes, it makes record perfectly flat and normally holds vacuum longer than you need to play one side. It works as it should with 99% of my records. If there is "megabump" at outer tracks it hold vacuum enough to play more than a half of record and then, if combined with record stabilizing clamp, inner tracks are flat anyway. It can not correct seriously damaged records like those forgotten for a day in car under window in Marseille in July, there only heated flattener can help :) So yes, it is very useful tool. When I bought first AT666 I starting to search for another immediately, because I was worried about quality of outer rubber ring - if one fails I could start to find something for replacement rubber ring. There are manufacturers of turntables with vacuum platter like Galder turntable from Bergmann Audio, so they manufacture those rings somewhere. But for now rubber rings on both my stabilizers still works OK.
 
I want my records flat and that’s all the reason I need.
I am not sure you will get vinyl perfectly flat even with best flattener, at least thin records. And if so it will remains perfectly flat for long period even with perfect holding. Keep in mind many records are made from recycled vinyl. But you can try of course.
 
I am not sure you will get vinyl perfectly flat even with best flattener, at least thin records. And if so it will remains perfectly flat for long period even with perfect holding. Keep in mind many records are made from recycled vinyl. But you can try of course.
I have had very good results so far. What I have noticed and learned is there’s so many different types of warps. I don’t want to start describing each one here, but some are easier than others to fix. The little “flip” at the edge has been the easiest, unless it’s really bad, then the grooves “wiggle” a little after flattening. It’s been a learning experience, doing them fairly regularly. Last time was just a couple weeks ago, brand new record from Denmark.
 
I use a Record Pi. It has precise temperature control. Two runs of 6-8 hours at 130°F with overnight cooldowns will fix nearly any record. I have flattened about 15-20 records, including some very expensive ones like One Steps. It has easily paid for itself.
 
I use a Record Pi. It has precise temperature control. Two runs of 6-8 hours at 130°F with overnight cooldowns will fix nearly any record. I have flattened about 15-20 records, including some very expensive ones like One Steps. It has easily paid for itself.
I stole the procedure from Record Pi. Temperature and control is the big obstacle.
 
I used to sandwich warped records between 2 layers of clear glass in direct sunlight. A glass top table and heavy glass shelf. But since I live in Western NY my window of opportunity was late June to late July, 11 AM to 2 PM and only on clear sunny days. Results were mostly good. I didn't detect any groove damage.
 
I went down this rabbit hole 8 years ago in this old thread if anyone is interested. The picture links are broken.
My determination was severe warps can be flattened, but the records are still unplayable because the grooves will be distorted. Improvement was hit or miss with slight to moderate warping, but worsening was also likely. So for me it’s play the playable records and replace the goners.
Thanks THIS is it. This was something I was looking for. I was wondering if anyone has gone down that rabbit hole before I do so myself. I have yet to read the entire thread, but will do also soon.
 
Negative on the 3 D printer bed however I have been using the Vinyl Flat with pouch for a few years now with good to very good results. If you end up going that route, just do not tighten the wing nut down too tight...it will mash the vinyl...oops, sorry Ziggy Stardust.
 
I have a number of tables that do well on warped records. But buying a new table for those few warped records doesn't seem very cost effective just toss the records and replace them. But any of the good servo arms beats the standard weighted arms as they use electronics to ensure an equal tracking force so as the arm goes up or down a warp it is constantly measuring the tracking force, so it is constant ensuring the arm is tracking just right. That is why the early post most likely recommended the B&O.
 
I use a Vinyl Flat with Groovy Pouch and have had good results.

I bought that when it first came out. (over 10 years ago) The few times I've used it, it did a fantastic job.
 
I bought that when it first came out. (over 10 years ago) The few times I've used it, it did a fantastic job.
I was looking at it too. Maybe I'll try this.
I have a number of tables that do well on warped records. But buying a new table for those few warped records doesn't seem very cost effective just toss the records and replace them. But any of the good servo arms beats the standard weighted arms as they use electronics to ensure an equal tracking force so as the arm goes up or down a warp it is constantly measuring the tracking force, so it is constant ensuring the arm is tracking just right. That is why the early post most likely recommended the B&O.
My TT is Sony PS-X600, it's a recent acquisition so may be i need to look into the setting for proper tracking force adjustment
 
Back
Top Bottom