• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Has store bought coffee changed?

Satcom123

Super Member
I like coffee in the morning. I like it strong with creamorra and sugar. I have been using Folgers 100% colombian medium/dark and the dark blend.

It seems over the past year I have been having to use a lot more to make the same brew. I use a bun coffee maker and the coffee maker is still good on the brewing temp.

I have a coffee grinder/blender and was thinking of getting whole beans. I'm just thinking that maybe they are adding fillers into the coffee. I also just noticed that the label just says 100% Colombian not 100% coffee anymore. Humm...

Well, anyways has anyone else noticed any coffee changes? I just think that changing to whole beans would be better.
 
Register to hide this ad
Folgers was my favorite coffee up until a few years ago. Once they started putting out different blends, they all started to suck!
 
Pre-ground coffee loses it's intensity once it's exposed to air out of the vacuum seal. You can somewhat lessen the effect by squeezing out the air and tightly wrapping it up with a rubber band and placing it inside a ziploc bag and storing in the freezer. The longer you keep the coffee, the more flavor you will lose.

It's best to buy coffee beans and grind as needed for maximum flavor and intensity.
 
The ground coffees are indeed not as good as they once were.
I switched to whole beans a few years ago and haven't looked back. More choices and more robust flavour!
 
Yes, by all means ditch the Folgers and get whole beans. Also be prepared to ditch the auto-drip coffeemaker. They don't get anywhere hot enough. For true Java enlightenment try the following. It'll be cheap since you already have a grinder. Ikea has a french press for $10. Grind 6 tablespoons of beans to a medium coarse grind. Pulsing the grinder helps. Your water should always be precisely just at the boil and the brewing time is exactly 4 minutes. You won't go back. With time and temp controlled, then it's a matter of adjusting the coffee to your liking. Remember 3 things 1) less coffee = bitter coffee. You only want 60% of what you can get out the grinds. 2) avoid cheap dark roasts, it's often just burnt bad coffee 3) Starbucks is to good coffee as McDonnell's is to steak.
 
+1

Couldn't have said it better myself.

1. Auto-drip coffeemakers are convenient but not good for flavor.
2. Do not grind the coffee to a pulp. Coarse grind is best.
3. Water temperature should be about 200F. 212F is boiling. If you don't want to go thru the trouble of taking temperatures, then bring your water to a boil, shut heat off and wait about 4-5 minutes.
4. Use a French coffee press.
5. Starbucks = bad coffee that is bitter with burnt aftertaste. Truth be heard, I prefer Peets, Coffee Bean, Dunkin Donuts and McDonald's coffee over Starbucks. I really don't understand people who pay a premium for Starbucks, completely overrated, overpriced and just plain bad coffee.

Yes, by all means ditch the Folgers and get whole beans. Also be prepared to ditch the auto-drip coffeemaker. They don't get anywhere hot enough. For true Java enlightenment try the following. It'll be cheap since you already have a grinder. Ikea has a french press for $10. Grind 6 tablespoons of beans to a medium coarse grind. Pulsing the grinder helps. Your water should always be precisely just at the boil and the brewing time is exactly 4 minutes. You won't go back. With time and temp controlled, then it's a matter of adjusting the coffee to your liking. Remember 3 things 1) less coffee = bitter coffee. You only want 60% of what you can get out the grinds. 2) avoid cheap dark roasts, it's often just burnt bad coffee 3) Starbucks is to good coffee as McDonnell's is to steak.
 
I'm no coffee expert (Although I like the smell, I mostly avoid coffee, since it often gives me "the runs," and sometimes headaches!), BUT a few things are worth saying:

1. Almost all large-scale food processing companies are regularly looking for ways to cut costs, and thus earn higher profits. As someone with celiac/gluten-intolerance, I end up being forced to track changes in ingredients in a lot of foods, and I've seen this happening over and over and over again, to MANY, MANY packaged or processed foods, even relatively simple and "natural" ones like coffee. What used to be made with one or two or three basic, natural ingredients is increasingly being made from a list of chemical e-numbers --artificial flavorings, colorants, texturizers, preservatives, humectants, acidity regulators, stabilizers, etc...-- instead. If a company can create a cheaper, more stable (longer lifespan) product that consumers will still "accept" --that is, that won't cost them more in lost sales from dis-satisfied customers than they make from the cost trimmings-- the company will change the formula.

2. If the company can use cheaper "extenders" to reduce ingredient costs, without most consumers noticing, or caring enough to stop buying, they will. For example, soy sauce used to be made from soybeans, until someone figured out it was much cheaper to use less soy and more wheat. The taste is quite similar, but the cheaper wheat "extends" the more expensive soy, resulting in a product that tastes very similar, but costs less to produce. It wouldn't be surprising at all if the company found that adding some other plant (or even artificial) material to the expensive coffee beans saves them money, and the "100 percent Columbian" allows them to get away with this, while giving careless readers the impression that it remains "100 percent coffee." I'm not saying they've done this, but it wouldn't be at all surprising if they had; there are many precedent examples of it.


...Your water should always be precisely just at the boil and the brewing time is exactly 4 minutes. ...

One of the cool things about water is that it boils at a given temperature (100 degrees Celcius). If you keep heating it past that point, the temperature of the water does NOT keep going up. Instead, the water boils more and more vigorously as additional heat energy enters the system. That is, the increased heat being added comes out pretty much instantaneously in the form of a more vigorous boiling action and greater evaporation. without appreciably raising the temperature of the water. The difference between a light simmering boil and a vigorous rolling boil is NOT the temperature of the water, but rather how quickly the energy is being passed through it (i.e., used to transmute it from liquid to gaseous state).

So as long as your water is "at a boil" it should be fine.

Of course, brewing time DOES make a difference, as with any natural infusion.
 
The theory espoused by higher order coffee freaks than I is that continued boiling depletes the water of it's oxygen and therefore produces inferior coffee flavor. I use a Bodum Ibis electric kettle that shuts off when the water reaches boiling. I guess that means I've bought into the theory $50 worth. :D
 
after reading a thread on coffee here i decided to try the french press. i googled the subject and learn what i could and bought a cheap press at the thrift store for one or two bucks. basicly it brewed one cup at a time. it did taste a little better than the drip method but the extra work to dump the coffee grinds out and wash the press was not worth the effort in taste.
 
Second Peets at home, but I am addicted to Starbucks away from home. Sorry. And they sell some pretty good CDs too.
 
I drink "Don Francisco's Vanilla Nut" brewed in my Percoloator. I bought 6 cans at CVS for $1.44 each the other day. Great stuff IMO.
 
Well, I went to the store and all they had was Starbucks coffee bean. Bought two different kinds to try. Well, this morning I ground the coffee beans and brewed it in my Bun its all I have at the moment. Very, very disapointed. Very weak and crappy tasting. Tried the other bag and was somewhat better.

The search is on now for better beans and a press to brew it in. I watched an old Alton food channel video all about coffee and brewing it.

I didn't pulverize the beans but kept them at a medium ground.

We only have one grocery store here. Firelake Indian concern. Might have to buy on line.
 
a few year ago i read a taste test for fresh ground coffee in consumer report. i don't recall the competition but 8 o'clock coffee came out on top. i happen to find this brand on sale and ran the beans through the store grinder. the coffee i made with my drip coffee maker was somewhat better but not outstanding. here in canada tim hortons is a bussiness phenom. people drive miles for their coffee. i'm guilty also. in some cases it's addictive. they do make a mighty fine cup, but recently i 've tried mcdonld's coffee and i find they are just as good and cheaper. now timmy's coffee is the same any time day or nite, always fresh, i don't know about mcdonlds if the morning cup is as good as late afternoon or evening.
 
Kroger often has their 100% Colombian Whole Bean coffee on sale for $4 or less a 12 oz bag, and with my 10% "Senior Discount", last I bought a few days ago was $3.35 per bag. Pretty good deal considering the wholesale price of coffee is $2.68/lb today. I prefer it also because it's a medium-dark roast, not dark and burnt tasting like a lot of the higher dollar coffees.
 

Attachments

  • kroger-coffee1.jpg
    kroger-coffee1.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 4
Can someone explain why coarse or med grind is better than finely ground? Not understanding this one.
 
Well throw whole beans in your coffee maker and see what you get. Grind coarse and see what you get. Grind fine and see what you get.

Smaller particles = more surface area exposed to hot water = more coffee dissolving into the water.
 
Back
Top Bottom