• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Have altec VOTT, but girlfriend says no

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a problem. I have a pair of Altec Voice of the theater A7 speakers. They have the 416a woofers, 802D compression drivers, and the 511 horns. They are my dream speaker I'd say, and to me they sound amazing using my Eico ST40 stereo (of course I can only imagine how they'd sound with a SET amp and with an upgraded crossover). It's as if once I have gotten used to super high efficiency horn speakers nothing sounds the same.

The problem is...I'm moving in with my girlfriend and she won't let me bring these large speakers into the place we will have together. My question is, what would anyone here recommend I do in this situation. I have no excess money at the moment, so I am thinking about selling the speakers, or selling the components since the cabinets are hard to ship. It's not that I'm trying to capitalize on making money, I'd rather keep them, but I can't really, so I'd like to reinvest any money I make into other smaller speakers that are also highly efficient. I really love vintage stuff as well, not that I can afford it.

Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Best,


Jonas Baker
The fact that you're asking a bunch of strangers what to do tells me one thing. You do not want to get rid of your speakers. If you were, at all, agreeable to what your girlfriend is asking you wouldn't need to ask us.

I understand relationships are all about compromise but since you did not mention whether she offered one I'm assuming she did not. And why does she get to decide what you get to bring into your new home? I assume you have the same veto rights concerning her belongings? Probably not.

Did you explain to her just how important these speakers are to you. That, along with how important music is to you and your well being? She should understand the link between the two, music and speakers.

If after explaining to her that you don't want to get rid of your speakers and then no compromised can be reached. I'd be thinking very hard about this relationship. You may also come to realize that between your speakers and your GF that the speakers are not that important after all. Just make sure though because you may never get another chance to own your "dream speaker" again.

cubdog
 
Another thought: Buy some of those Model 19 cabinets on eBay, build the Z19 crossovers described on this site, and drop in your components. Done.
 
I want to see that photo.



Sigh... if there's no picture.. right?

This is an old classic AK picture.. It even started a trend for a while..:D

To the OP: stare at this picture a while, and think about your future..

attachment.php
 
In any event the A7 and A7-500 do have a sound of their own, with more presence than Vals, Iconics, Model 19s and so forth. One will always be able to find the components for them and either find old cabinets or have them built. The stuff isn't going away.

Anyway, to try to impose such large ugly, utilitarian speakers on a woman is unreasonable. If she goes along fine but for a woman not to go along is not at all unreasonable. Hell, I sure wouldn't want the damn things in my front room, when I had VOTs they were in the basement or in a music room, not those areas of the house a woman would consider public. Nor do I feel the need for bending a woman to my will or having a compliant wife.
 
Last edited:
Here's another picture for the OP...

Seriously... There are women out there that let you do things like this... Is yours? I got lots more pictures like this with lots bigger speakers.

attachment.php
 
And why does she get to decide what you get to bring into your new home?

He is moving into her home - whether that is a house or apt - the pretty variety of the opposite sex - usually do not take well to us bringing over big ass speakers - takes a long term plan on our part. Best idea so far is to store them - or simply dismantle them for future use.

I agree - asking strangers is simply not the right thing to do.
 
I wouldn't want them in my place myself. They're not just large but also quite ugly unless your cabs are different from the usual.
 
Here's another picture for the OP...

Seriously... There are women out there that let you do things like this... Is yours? I got lots more pictures like this with lots bigger speakers.

The place looks like Hell, way too much stuff. And Peavey's in the front room? Boorish.
 
Yean Tom, but you're missing the point.. SOME women do put up with us men... and you see we compromise... She had her sewing machine...
 
With what you could sell those for, you coupld pick up some nice "moderen" looking speakers.
 
What you could do is take the horn off the top and mount it in the bottom of the enclosure removing the bottom panel. Then recalculate the reflex open area you need with the horn in place and make a new board. Then flip the enclosure over and have a cabinet made with just 4 sides and front for the A-7 to slide into. A friend of mine while in the Army had the cabinets made in Korea and when he came back home to the States and set up his system the system really sounded good with his speakers near the corners. The bass was strong and clean. He was using 515 woofers, 511 horns and a new 902 drivers.

He later sold them and bought Beta speakers, which were basically a La Scala but with a ports along the edges of the cabinet with out the folded horn, but with the woofer mounted facing forward into a short horn making them flat to 25 Hz but 4 or 5 db less efficient. The tweeter was the EV- T35 and the mid horn was similar to the La Scala horn only shallower, but not as short as a Cornwall horn. The crossover was a 550 Hz as I remember, using the same Atlas driver.

I know this is a dirty word for Altec owners, but JbL made a 4430 that might work for you in a pinch, though the 4435 is a better solution. If you meed something pretty how about a JBL L300 or an Altec model 19.
 
He is moving into her home - whether that is a house or apt - the pretty variety of the opposite sex - usually do not take well to us bringing over big ass speakers - takes a long term plan on our part. Best idea so far is to store them - or simply dismantle them for future use.

I agree - asking strangers is simply not the right thing to do.

I didn't get from the OP that it was her house. He say's that he moving in with her into a place they will have together. Could be her house although I'm not sure that would change my advice.

cubdog
 
I can give you a place to store them in Ma where 395 enters the state. Probably for close to 2 years.
 
I agree - asking strangers is simply not the right thing to do.

I consider this more like group therapy rather than strangers. After all, where could I even ask such a question in public and who else would understand our affliction.

That being said, I was also looking for advice on what type of speakers could fill the void of these A7 -500's.

Thanks for the advice and input from everyone.

Jonas
 
A7s are HUGE and ugly. I'd see if you can store them until such time that you move into a theater, where they were designed to be used.
 
To me, it's not really about the speakers. (Those are probably too big and too unsightly even for me, but that's completely beside the point.)

If it were me, I'd say "why don't I just keep my own place then?" You don't have to break up, just don't live together. How badly does she want to live with you? Badly enough to compromise on this? You'll find out if you throw the ball in her court.

If she won't compromise on this, what else is in your future? Can you have your own room for listening to music that you get to control, or does she have to decide everything about the entire house? You're better off finding out now than later. I speak from experience on this.

In short, I have learned from hard experience that sometimes you set a precedent that only gets worse in the years to come. If you haven't lived together before, you don't know if it's going to work out in the long run.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom